Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just back from London and Dublin

Options
  • 01-06-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Man my cousins had some horror stories about how they are being treated at work in Dublin/Ireland. Disgusting what's is going on.

ps
    I miss proper curry (London) and proper Guinness (Dublin)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Faith wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread?

Thought it was topical with this being about people moving emigrating. Delete if you want

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I still don't understand the topic. Bad working conditions in other countries? Things you miss? I don't see the relationship to Canada anywhere.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Must admit I also have no idea what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Liam90 wrote: »
    Must admit I also have no idea what this thread is about.

I live in Vancouver went back for a visit and pointed out how bad things appear to be in Ireland. I thought perhaps someone here in Canada feeling a bit homesick might feel better reading that.

Mail me the topics were supposed to talk about and i'll keep to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I live in Vancouver went back for a visit and pointed out how bad things appear to be in Ireland. I thought perhaps someone here in Canada feeling a bit homesick might feel better reading that.

The only time I feel homesick these days is when I have to go back for visits to the "moss covered s***hole" as it's referred to on Sons Of Anarchy. I am so angry about how corrupt, self serving politicians and criminal "businessmen" have destroyed the country. Ireland - A country where idiots elect thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ah come off it its not that bad, i moved back 6 months ago cos I was had enough of Canada. no regrets at all, earning nearly twice what I was earning out there and actually have things to do on weekends/in my free time now.
    Its a bit rich someone in Canada criticising elected officials in Ireland when Rob Ford is somehow still the Mayor of Toronto, nevermind the shadiness of Harper & the loonies in Quebec. Even the Mayor where I lived was under investigation for creaming money of the top of a charity he founded, while others had resigned over fraudulent expense claims. Corruption of public officials isn't purely an Irish trait...

retalivity wrote: »
    ah come off it its not that bad, i moved back 6 months ago cos I was had enough of Canada. no regrets at all, earning nearly twice what I was earning out there and actually have things to do on weekends/in my free time now.
    Its a bit rich someone in Canada criticising elected officials in Ireland when Rob Ford is somehow still the Mayor of Toronto, nevermind the shadiness of Harper & the loonies in Quebec. Even the Mayor where I lived was under investigation for creaming money of the top of a charity he founded, while others had resigned over fraudulent expense claims. Corruption of public officials isn't purely an Irish trait...

I'm in Alberta not Toronto. Rob Ford may be a buffoon, but there's no way he or Harper in Quebec caused the kind of damage to the country that the likes of Haughey, Aherne, Lenihan et al did in Ireland.... There is just no comparison ! !

What on earth were you working at in Canada if you get paid twice as much for the same work in Ireland ? I'm earning in Canada at least twice what I could earn in Ireland. The other problem in Ireland at the moment is that they're trying to figure out more and more ways to take money from the fortunate few who still have a few bob.... Well they can stick their thieving so-called property tax on the family home and their water rates where the sun don't shine. I didn't benefit from the so called Celtic Tiger and I'm not going to pay for it. I can't see Ireland as being anything other than a miserable place to live for at least the next decade or so. And don't even get me started about the crime rate and the armies of tracksuit wearing f***wits and hooded wasters walking the streets ......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    What part of Alberta u in>?

Edmonton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Long Gone wrote: »
    I'm in Alberta not Toronto. Rob Ford may be a buffoon, but there's no way he or Harper in Quebec caused the kind of damage to the country that the likes of Haughey, Aherne, Lenihan et al did in Ireland.... There is just no comparison ! !

I think that is more to do with the fact Canada has a more diversified economy and better financial regulation than Ireland, as opposed to either politicians being "worse" than one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

SpaceTime wrote: »

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely...even in "conservative" Canada.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely...even in "conservative" Canada.

The lads in Canada are only amateurs. As I've already said, there is no comparison - They're in the ha'penny place compared to the complete and total slimebags like Haughey and his protege Aherne that we've had in Ireland. Aherne and his mob destroyed Ireland both socially and economically and Lenihan then insanely hoisted all the private banking debt that ensued onto the back of the Irish Public. You couldn't make it up ! - In almost any other country in the world there would have been a complete and total public revolt, but the Irish sheeple just accepted this....:mad:

Long Gone wrote: »
    The lads in Canada are only amateurs. As I've already said, there is no comparison - They're in the ha'penny place compared to the complete and total slimebags like Haughey and his protege Aherne that we've had in Ireland. Aherne and his mob destroyed Ireland both socially and economically and Lenihan then insanely hoisted all the private banking debt that ensued onto the back of the Irish Public. You couldn't make it up ! - In almost any other country in the world there would have been a complete and total public revolt, but the Irish sheeple just accepted this....:mad:

I agree with that 100%, but do a bit of research on the Canadian scandals...far from squeaky clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Man my cousins had some horror stories about how they are being treated at work in Dublin/Ireland. Disgusting what's is going on.

So tell us what happened them. I love a good horror story....:)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I came back from oz in sept now waiting to get my canada visa, this country is a joke even when i told my oz friends what we are taxed on they said no wonder we are all leaving ireland in droves in our 20s.Im in a job now but getting hammered for this so called usc, prsi and tax then ive road tax and a shambles of a so called ndls company where i cant even get an appointment to renew my license its gotten worse since i came back from oz. I see noonan saying could be some relief for 2015 but not much, water tax the last straw were too easy of a country of pushovers of taxes i hate it rather pay taxes in canada then here least they get a summer and can go down the coast to the states.

I'll tell you something else as well, the service you get from the Irish Embassies has become a bit of a joke as well. They make you waste your money on the phone listening to a recorded message of some bogman with a speech defect giving you a list of options, pathetically and nauseatingly repeating everything in Irish (as if anyone contacting the Irish embassy abroad won't speak English, the de facto language of Ireland), then when you press the appropriate number the phone is NEVER answered ! Neither do they ever answer your e-mails. They are an absolute disgrace to Ireland ! .:mad:

Advertisement