Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping and lunch...alternative to Dundrum & Grafton Street?

Options
  • 01-06-2014 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Have friends arriving from America in 10 days. My part of the scheduling is a morning of shopping and lunch. Family of 4, kids are 16 (girl) and 18 (boy). They've been to Ireland several times before and have family in Dundrum so have done that to death. Was thinking Avoca in Kilmacanogue but that's pretty pricey. Would bring them out to Blanchardstown or Liffey Valley but the lunch options are poor. Am I forgetting somewhere decent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Kildare Village Shopping Outlet is great for discounted brands but not much there in terms of food. Actually I think there's only a Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whitewater IN Newbridge. Not been there in years so can't vouch for it. Yoi could take in the Japanese gardens in the afternoon and have lunch there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ideally somewhere in the greater Dublin area and accessible by public transport..I'm not sure my car would cope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Mr Steak

dutopia wrote: »
    Kildare Village Shopping Outlet is great for discounted brands but not much there in terms of food. Actually I think there's only a Starbucks.

That place is a hellhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Blanchardstown Centre isn't too bad. There's a good selection of shops and various places for food/snacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

All the shopping centres are pretty much the same really.Same shops and fast food etc.

Could just take them for a wander around the Powerscourt Centre and Georges Arcade maybe,and then a bit of lunch somewhere round there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Same options as Dundrum really...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

CORK............need I say more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dia1988 wrote: »
    CORK............need I say more!

Well, seeing as it's the Dublin forum and you seem not to have read the thread...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Henry Street followed by Abrakebabra... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Blanch isn't bad for shopping. Then lunch at Captain Americas? OK It's not cheap, but the menu suits most tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Blanch isn't bad for shopping. Then lunch at Captain Americas? OK It's not cheap, but the menu suits most tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

All the shopping centres are pretty much the same really.Same shops and fast food etc.

Could just take them for a wander around the Powerscourt Centre and Georges Arcade maybe,and then a bit of lunch somewhere round there.

I'd vote for this. They may have done Grafton St before, but there are lots of great shops in the side streets just off it, that are easy to over look, if you don't know where to go.

If you want to go a bit further afield, Malahide could be a good spot, as you can get there by Dart or bus. There are several gift shops and boutiques that are good for a mooch around. None of them are all that big though, so if it is large department stores they want, they should go else where. There are also loads of pubs/restaurants/coffee shops for when you get hungry. They could stretch their legs on the coast road, as it is very scenic.

Alternatively, you could head towards Malahide Castle. I think its about a 10 minute walk from the village. The pedestrian entrance is just down the road from the Dart station. The castle itself is great spot to take visitors, especially Americans. There is also an Avoca shop in the grounds with the attached restaurant. Depending on how much time you have, you could do both the village and the castle in a few hours.

If you do decide to head towards Kildare village, there is a proper restaurant there. It's pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bring them to Blamch for the shopping g but then drive a short distance away to the 12th Lock pub/hotel, it's got good food and is a grand little spot by the banks of the canal. Good beer garden too or you can sit by the water, it feels like you're out in the countryside even though both Blanch and Castleknock are only up the road.
    http://www.twelfthlock.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn't there a Dunne & Crescenzi Italian restaurant?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Isn't there a Dunne & Crescenzi Italian restaurant?

Yes there is, sorry, here's the link:

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en/your-visit/food-drink/food-drink

Mr Steak wrote: »
    That place is a hellhole

If you think that's a hellhole I'd love to hear your opinion on Northside Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I would go to Blanch and then stop in Castleknock for lunch in the Lo-Cal Kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you think that's a hellhole I'd love to hear your opinion on Northside Shopping Centre.

Lets not go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

athtrasna wrote: »
    Would bring them out to Blanchardstown or Liffey Valley but the lunch options are poor. Am I forgetting somewhere decent?
    Have you tried the Noah and Co by the food court in liffey valley?

The shopping options in Ireland arent great compared to the US...

Otherwise a run to Belfast if theyve not Beenhakker before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Have you tried the Noah and Co by the food court in liffey valley?

The shopping options in Ireland arent great compared to the US...

Otherwise a run to Belfast if theyve not Beenhakker before?

No, haven't been in Liffey Valley for ages actually. Belfast not a runner for two reasons, time and like I said about Kildare, car wouldn't make it with the four of them ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It depends on what kind of shopping they want to do but what about Henry Street? Plenty of boutiques and chain clothes shops, Arnotts, Debenhams, Clery's nearby and a wide range of places to eat. I would personally take them to the Bakehouse on Bachelor's Walk but there are lots of other options within walking distance.

Advertisement