Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Programming Contract Work in USA

Options
  • 01-06-2014 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I'm a Java developer contractor and would like to work in the USA. Does anyone know how difficult this would be to do? Being Irish, I don't have a visa.. Would a company take me on on a daily-rate contract basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You'd need a work visa. If you are good, a US company may petition for one for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

silja wrote: »
    You'd need a work visa. If you are good, a US company may petition for one for you.

How does the company find out I'm good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Job interview, CV, good references from previous employers, detailing your experience in the field etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Your cv (called resume over here) interview and references, as an Irish company would.

What it comes down to is that it'll cost them $5000+ to bring you over (lawyers and visa fees), so getting a semi-casual freelance/ day rate type position is very unlikely, and probably wouldn't qualify you for a visa anyways. Most likely the company would seek a H1B for you, this work visa is applied for in April to start work in October, so you have some time to find a company and woo them.

Advertisement