Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning leased property

Options
  • 01-06-2014 7:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 7

I came across a couple of threads about tenants wrecking the place after a landlord has leased it to them. How many landlords actually have cleaners included in the lease? It doesn't appear to be common in Ireland, why is that?
    If I was renting a 5 bedroom house to students, surely it would be in my interest to have a cleaner in there once a fourth-night otherwise I wouldn't have a reason to complain when it's handed backed to me in bad state. And by the way, it's hardly that expensive to have a cleaner in there.
    Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you rent out a property it is the tenants' home. You have no right to enter or to send someone into the property unless the tenants agree.

As a landlord you expect the property to be handed back in the same condition (or better) as the tenants moved in. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Rourkey

athtrasna wrote: »
    If you rent out a property it is the tenants' home. You have no right to enter or to send someone into the property unless the tenants agree.

As a landlord you expect the property to be handed back in the same condition (or better) as the tenants moved in. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

How many tenants would disagree with having a cleaner come over every so often? Very few I would think unless it was a family or couple leasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's in our lease that the flat has to be professionally cleaned when we leave. Same for what the people did before us.

Landlords should include it alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Rourkey wrote: »
    How many tenants would disagree with having a cleaner come over every so often? Very few I would think unless it was a family or couple leasing.
    What if the cleaner helps themselves to a tenant's property? Who is liable? If the LL hired the cleaner and made the provision in the lease, it could be him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

When I moved out of my previous rental property, nobody discussed who was going to clean the place before viewings...the LL was away and the estate agent looking after proceedings didn't say anything about cleaning.
    So I cleaned it.

The whole apartment, from top to bottom..I slogged my guts out getting it presentable and I didn't get a word of thanks for it either.

Looking back now, it was not my job to clean the place from top to bottom and make it presentable..sure I should have cleaned it normally but not professionally.

Anyway, you can't get a cleaner into the property and expect the tenants to be happy with that level of intrusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rother

To pay for a regular cleaner then they would have to put up the rent to cover it. I dont think tenants would like that. In most of the leases ive signed in the past renting in other countries there is provision for painting and cleaning when you move out. ie you pay your deposit etc, but you also pay a non refundable €500 for example which covers professional paining and cleaning for after you move out.

Im sure its going to be standard here in the not so distant future too.
    I have heard now that some landlords on viewings here are asking for a lot more investment from the tenant.
    Like 2 to 3 months deposit, non refundable cleaning and painting fee as outlined above and the tenant to pay an administration charge up front (to cover things like the PRTB amount etc) .

Im sure this will get more common. All that is pretty much standard in other countries already.

I work with one guy who has a few properties rented on the side. He told me that he doesnt accept rent allowance anymore and the social welfare keep calling him and practically begging him to rent to people they have in dire need of his property. He said ok he will rent it to the social welfare directly, the social welfare must sign the lease and rent it off him and he will allow them to sublet to whoever they please as long as the SW know that they are paying the rent and responsible for any damage the tenant sublets to them does.

The SW wont go for that at all. They dont even trust their own "clients". And want the landlord to take all the risk on their behalf.

I think its going to get even tougher for tenants, especially RA tenants in future.

If the SW really wanted to rent places then they should rent them of the landlords themselves and sublet to whoever they want to. None of this RAS or RA where the risk is all the LLs.

A few years ago I would have been happy to rent here, but now I see it just getting more and more expensive, and not just the headline rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the LL send a cleaner in, then the message to the tenants is that they don't have to keep the place clean at all.

Far better to let the tenants choose: if they want to pay a cleaner, great, it's between them and the cleaner. Or they can save the dosh, pull finger and do it themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Rourkey

murphaph wrote: »
    What if the cleaner helps themselves to a tenant's property? Who is liable?

It would be the thief who is liable but honestly, is that a legitimate concern? Domestic and industrial cleaners exist in lots of places, theft is a risk that comes with the territory.
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Anyway, you can't get a cleaner into the property and expect the tenants to be happy with that level of intrusion.

The cleaner isn't there for the tenant's interest, it's the landlords interest. It can easily be inserted in the lease. It's no different from a landlord coming over to mow the lawns, cleaning is just another form of maintenance.
    Far better to let the tenants choose: if they want to pay a cleaner, great, it's between them and the cleaner. Or they can save the dosh, pull finger and do it themselves.

Or you make it mandatory for them to have a cleaner and include it in the rent.

I've shared with tenants for about 10 years and 75% are filthy and never clean after themselves. Of course it's up to them if they want to clean, but it's not fair on those who like a clean environment but have to put up with such filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It would be the thief who is liable but honestly, is that a legitimate concern? Domestic and industrial cleaners exist in lots of places, theft is a risk that comes with the territory.

The cleaner isn't there for the tenant's interest, it's the landlords interest. It can easily be inserted in the lease. It's no different from a landlord coming over to mow the lawns, cleaning is just another form of maintenance.

Or you make it mandatory for them to have a cleaner and include it in the rent.

I've shared with tenants for about 10 years and 75% are filthy and never clean after themselves. Of course it's up to them if they want to clean, but it's not fair on those who like a clean environment but have to put up with such filth.

So you are talking about a houseshare as opposed to renting out the apartment. In which case you can say what the bills are.

Advertisement