Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Explosion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane 007 wrote: »
    In Dublin today, so just to emphasise it can & does happen....

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gas-explosion-blows-roof-off-house-in-dublin-30320574.html

I love oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From the RTE website..
    A man has been taken to hospital with serious burn injuries after an explosion at a house in Dublin.

The 58-year-old man was rescued from the house by fire personnel and was brought to the Mater Hospital.

Gardaí, emergency services and a number of units of Dublin fire brigade are still at the scene on Sullivan Street in the Arbour Hill area.

The house was extensively damaged in the explosion, which it is thought could be related to a gas leak.

00090486-642.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Speculation on the cause of this serious incident is not helpful, there are numerous reasons why this may have occurred and to guess that soundness testing had not been done at that installation is pure conjecture, and may implicate innocent parties.

Please refrain. With thank
    s

It's always good when the home owner gets to walk away but it's unfortunate it happened.

When I see a picture like the one above I think "there but for the grace of God go I" as accidents although limited by good working practise and gasmans paranoia can still occur.

When I get tired and I want to go home(cos I'm inherently lazy), it's the real fear of causing the above that keeps me straight and paranoid(rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

As a retired plumber / gas fitter I have had a number of close shaves and I think we all have. As has been said trade craft and above all paranoia protects the customer and us from harm, s*/*t happens (in London a batch of 15mm solder elbows with pin hole leaks) in Dublin a load of ½ inch copper pipe that split on the seam when stressed or bent.

I am out of the trade now but have noticed there are still blokes that make basic errors (supply off then back on from the street without warning when replacing supply pipes), brush and bubble tests on fittings but no test at the meter. I get the impression that installers that work for big companies are under time / bonus pressure. There again I was famous for being slow so maybe I am talking a load of crap.

I strongly believe that PLUMBERS should have to be qualified and registered in the same way as Gas fitters and electricians as poor workmanship on supply and waste pipes can put the house holder at risk.

The important thing to teach apprentices is to refuse to be bullied into cutting corners to save time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

I worked for a company about 5 years ago who put pressure on me to join the RGII cos I had the GID course completed. Joined the RGII and suddenly found myself in a housing estate testing gas pipework that other non registered plumbers had installed. Told me boss that it was wrong and he said he would look at it, got a phonecall off him telling me to go down and commission the gas boilers. Commissioned a few of them and rang the boss and just told him I wouldn't be doing anymore testing of gas pipes or commissioning of gas boilers until more RGII were employed...got laid off within a week lol lol.

I didn't care as I was just glad not to be testing other peoples work...it was my name going down on the sheet not the boss. He didn't give a feck. I don't have a clue about gas boilers and have no interest in learning, i'll leave it to the experienced chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

In London to be able to work on gas pipe work you had to be registered with CORGI . I found my self working with 3 plumbers and a bunch of pipe fitters , none were registered. We all got paid the same but my frigging name was going down as passing the work! now these blokes were real old time plumbers -- lead burning wiping joints ect but at gas work and in particular the flue regulations they were crap, lethal .

Big money and loads of pressure to get the job done. Same on building sites their was one tradesman supervising what was called "improvers" (don't ask).

Now I have been off the tools for the last 10 years but some of the work i have seen in Dublin both plumbing and gas has been below standard. Having said that some work has been s**t hot .

The tradesman must be en- powerd to say (what ever the boss or fellow workers say) NO its not up to speck and I am not doing it or signing of on it.

Particularly young men just out of training / apprenticeships.

Advertisement