Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes

Options
  • 01-06-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have two hens who are allowed to roam around the garden when there is someone home. When there is no one home, they are kept in a dog run attached to their house and a smaller run. They are then locked into the smaller run at night.

We've had problems with foxes with previous hens, one even scaled the dog run. However, over the past few days, I've seen the fox around in the fields twice. He even came to the hedge between the field and the hen run. I'm afraid something will happen to the hens as they are getting later and later going to bed but I've started locking them in earlier.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the foxes coming near the garden? He walked through my three ponies today with an issue until the Shetland chased him.

Thanks,

ElmW12
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ElmW13 wrote: »
    I have two hens who are allowed to roam around the garden when there is someone home. When there is no one home, they are kept in a dog run attached to their house and a smaller run. They are then locked into the smaller run at night.

We've had problems with foxes with previous hens, one even scaled the dog run. However, over the past few days, I've seen the fox around in the fields twice. He even came to the hedge between the field and the hen run. I'm afraid something will happen to the hens as they are getting later and later going to bed but I've started locking them in earlier.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the foxes coming near the garden? He walked through my three ponies today with an issue until the Shetland chased him.

Thanks,

ElmW12

Foxes need to be made shy of humans and habitation no 1

And use deterrents that are effective

One of the functions of traditional fox hunting was to make foxes shy of humans and stock - unfortunately this is not undertaken in all areas and not always understood. Fox hunting is not about eradicating foxes rather removing troublesome individuals and making the rest shy of domestic animals.

Alternatively use fowl netting attached to a mains electric fence unit. Check on line there are several websites including McEoins that sell poultry fowl fencing - it is very effective at keeping out troublesome foxes that will flit entire flocks of fowl and decimate domestic flocks.

Make sure all poultry are put away at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

gozunda wrote: »
    Foxes need to be made shy of humans and habitation no 1

And use deterrents that are effective

One of the functions of traditional fox hunting was to make foxes shy of humans and stock - unfortunately this is not undertaken in all areas and not always understood. Fox hunting is not about eradicating foxes rather removing troublesome individuals and making the rest shy of domestic animals.

Traditional fox hunting is an absolutely useless practice in Fox control. My experience is a ploughed up fields and damaged ditches. If you have a problem lamp them.

Traditional fox hunting is an absolutely useless practice in Fox control. My experience is a ploughed up fields and damaged ditches. If you have a problem lamp them.

Not in my experience of many years. More about changing foxes behaviour per se than 'control'. lamping may lead to shot foxes escaping as it takes a very good shot to properly kill. Also Lamping does nothing to make them human shy as they don't learn to stay away especially where they are shot at and survive. Ok for complete eradication but that's not what traditional methods of fox hunting is about.

Anyway off topic. The OP wants to deter foxes not eradicate - as suggested use electric fowl fencing attached to main fencing.

Not so in my experience of many years. Lamping foxes may lead to shot foxes escaping as it takes a very good shot to properly kill. Lamping does nothing to make them human shy as they don't learn to stay away especially where they are shot at and survive.
    A bunch of West Brits tearing up the place is of no use either. Lamping is the most humane method of fox control. More humane than a fox being chased around for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Keep it simple. A experienced hunter will lamp and erridicate the fox in a humane manner. Otherwise the fox will break your heart.

• Advertisement

A bunch of West Brits tearing up the place is of no use either. Lamping is the most humane method of fox control. More humane than a fox being chased around for hours on end.

Get off the ludicrous screen set mentality and into reality ok. People who hunt via traditional methods here are farmers and ordinary people. No more 'west Brits' than 'hurray Henry' idiom of idiots with guns - so don't even try that one! A good shot will take down a fox but few if any 'lampers' ever take down a fox in my experience often resulting in wounded foxes dying slowly and horribly of inflicted injuries. I have seen such handiwork unfortunately.

Don't get your attack btw since you quite openly are advocating eradication as opposed to control. How about putting up a solution rather than attacking another poster? Thanks

Oh btw I do shoot. But I also have free range fowl and a very good relationship with the local hunt who although not taking many foxes are very successful in removing / making troublesome foxes scarce which are predating domestic stock.

Get off the ludicrous screen set mentality and into reality ok!. People who hunt via traditional methods here are farmers and ordinary people. No more 'west Brits' than 'hurray Henry' idiom of idiots with guns - so don't even try that one!

Don't get your attack btw since you quite openly are advocating eradication as opposed to control. How about putting up a solution rather than attacking another poster? Thanks
    Where did I attack a poster? I had a problem with foxes and got a lad in to lamp them.
    A good shot will take down a fox but few if any 'lampers' ever take down a fox in my experience often resulting in wounded foxes dying slowly and horribly of inflicted injuries.
    I have seen from my experience foxes dispatched in a more humane method via lamping, than a bunch of red coats chasing a terrified fox for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Is it really necessary to kill our last shred of wildlife just because it might inconvenience you?

Back to original question I'd imagine a dog would be the only deterrent. Though I've read about alpaca being put in to chase foxes away from sheep in lambing season. You say one scaled the dog run, could you close in the top of it with wire mesh? Otherwise get them in nice and early.

Where did I attack a poster? I had a problem with foxes and got a lad in to lamp them. ....I have seen from my experience foxes dispatched in a more humane method via lamping, than a bunch of red coats chasing a terrified fox for hours.

See above. I would suggest putting forward you own solutions without referring to others as 'West Brits' & 'Red Coats' (lol) - seriously what century do such idiotic comments really belong to or have anything to do with reality. I suppose as much as 'Hurray Henry's' shooting parties in tweed and plus-fours. Get real!

Foxes are not an easy target. Lamping as a method of control should only done by trained individuals not gun happy shooters with no clue ... Traditional methods that work as a successful deterrent have worked for several centuries - funny that.

See above re go at my first post . I would suggest putting forward you own solutions rather than referring to others as 'West Brits' & 'red coats ' (?) - seriously what century do such idiotic comments really belong to anything to do with anything? I suppose as much as 'Hurray Henry's' shooting parties in tweed and plus-fours. Get real!

Foxes are not an easy target. Lamping as a method of control should only done by trained individuals not gun happy shooters with no clue ... Traditional methods have worked for several centuries - funny that.
    I would never let anybody lamp on my farm unless they are experienced lamper who will only take a shot when confident of a clean kill. Fox hunting is neither effective or humane.

• Advertisement

I would never let anybody lamp on my farm unless they are experienced lamper who will only take a shot when confident of a clean kill. Fox hunting is neither effective or humane.

I have seen too much handiwork of 'lampers' ever to leave them near my farm. Half dead foxes dying slowly in ditches from gun shot inflicted injuries is not my idea of 'humane' and does nothing to train fox populations to be human or stock shy. Traditional methods work and have worked well for many many years.

If you are finished making a party political broadcasts for lamping and bashing other posters, May I suggest to leave the thread return to the OPs question...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Gozunda and Capercaille, this is not the forum for the debate you're having.
    Can we please get back on topic and address the OP's immediate concern of protecting their hens, and the specific area the hens live in, from foxes?
    No more debating the pros ad cons of fox hunting in this thread, nor this forum.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If the top of the run is open you can attach some brackets and wire which come out from the fence at a 45 degree angle and he won't be able to climb over that (see picture). Putting paving slabs down around the outside of the run will help stop him from digging under it. Be aware that you'll need something stronger than chicken wire to keep a predator out, a determined one will chew through it.

conversion-01-lg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

I don't want to kill or injure the foxes. I have two dogs but one of them is slightly deaf and the other one spends most of his time inside. Is there any other natural deterrents I can use. I look into the wire for the top of the run as well

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We've been lucky, our dogs seem to.keep foxes away - between the group of us we have 7 dogs! However I've heard anecdotal evidence that human hair and male urine may help.

Try on poultry keeper forums / sites they may have further information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Go to a barbers or hairdressers and get a bag of hair. Put the hair in tights and tie them around the place. The scent for the hair will act as a deterrent ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ronn wrote: »
    Go to a barbers or hairdressers and get a bag of hair. Put the hair in tights and tie them around the place. The scent for the hair will act as a deterrent ,

No, it won't. Nor will the urinating outside tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, as a hen keeper, I have had several fox attacks. A fox took 1 of my hens through the wire of a fence, while I was sitting feet away :eek: My neighbour thought she had a secure coop - a fox ATE the bottom of her coop door to get at her hens one night! What Im saying is, unless you have SECURE fencing around your run, if there are foxes in your area, they will do their damnest to get at the hens. A fox can scale a 6' fence no problem. A fox will dig under any fencing that isnt planted at least a foot into the ground.
    Someone suggested earlier, putting flagstones around the run/wire base - good idea if you can manage it. Putting a net on top of the run seems to work for me - I bought a pond net. Havent had a fox attack for a few years now (fingers crossed) - rigid wire planted into the ground, 'skirting' boards all around at ground level and the net 'roof' all around my run.

Your hens are at risk if free ranging - regardless of whether you are home or not. The fox will have them gone before you get the back door open! Ive weighed up the price of free ranging my hens vs. keeping them in the run - I let them free range for a few hours/day in an area that is fenced enough to maybe deter the fox during daylight, and take that chance...

Advertisement