Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-landlord trying to blame me for plumbing issue

Options
  • 01-06-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I moved out of a house in February and my ex landlord has contacted me this week saying that his tenants have reported a problem with the shower and toilet in the en-suite and he is saying that I caused it during my tenancy and he wants €350 to fix it....,he says he will take me to court. I had no problems with either right til the end. Has he any basis for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If you didn't do anything to it during your tenancy and the problem has only arisen now, tell the LL to prove it was you and not the new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Sounds lije he's chancing his arm tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Shadylou wrote: »
    I moved out of a house in February and my ex landlord has contacted me this week saying that his tenants have reported a problem with the shower and toilet in the en-suite and he is saying that I caused it during my tenancy and he wants €350 to fix it....,he says he will take me to court. I had no problems with either right til the end. Has he any basis for this?

If you have no financial ties with him (he isn't holding your deposit) tell him in no uncertain terms to go F himself. He doesn't have a chance in hell in court, you left months ago and you don't know what he or the new Tennants have been up to since.

If he is holding your deposit contact the national Tennant's board as mediators of the problem. I forget their weird acronym...

househero wrote: »
    If you have no financial ties with him (he isn't holding your deposit) tell him in no uncertain terms to go F himself.

If he is holding your deposit contact the national Tennant's board as mediators of the problem. I forget their weird acronym...

PRTB.

fussyonion wrote: »
    PRTB.

Good man. Thanks.

• Advertisement

househero wrote: »
    Good man. Thanks.

I'm not a man! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Write to him to tell him you'll be happy to discuss the settlement of associated bills, just as soon as you have a plumber take a look at his plumber's written explanation of what caused the damage, how he knows it's a result of your actions, why it took three full months for the issue to manifest itself, and why the damage can't be classed as normal wear and tear. Oh, and a receipt from his plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm a landlord and that guy is taking the utter piss. You moved out in February and hes only getting onto you now about it? Tell him to go and take a hike.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm not a man! :mad:

Hahahaha

Well, you do have such a pretty name for a girl.

OP, don't play along with the LL tell him where to get off and to stop harassing you. Or you will take him to court hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Answer here is "see you in court" and use whatever block features your phone has to ensure you don't hear any more from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would expect if it wasn't picked up at the time its a bit late now.

Was any work or modifications done to the plumbing during the OP tenancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

beauf wrote: »
    I would expect if it wasn't picked up at the time its a bit late now.

Was any work or modifications done to the plumbing during the OP tenancy.
    Ther is too much of a time gap between when the OP left the property and now - assuming that the OP does mean that the landlord only contacted her in the last few weeks.

When did the new tenants move in?
    If it was soon after the OP vacated then the new tenants should have reported the problems to the landlord earlier. Therefore the OP is not responsible.

If the new tenants moved in in the last month or two then anyone could have been in the property in between time - to OP is not responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd tell him to feck off with himself OP - sounds like another cowboy chancing his arm.

Did he/his agent inspect the place when you were leaving? If all was ok, or he didn't bother then anything after that is no longer your problem - especially several months later!

And this for the sake of €350? Sounds like a landlord who hasn't done his sums right before getting into the rental game to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

The new tenants moved in 2 days after I moved out, there was definitely no problems with the plumbing when I lived there. I was talking to one of my old neighbours and they told me that the new tenants wouldn't be the cleanest and that the landlord has to organise refuse collection for them(we always sorted our own with greenstar) because they were leaving bags of rubbish in the alley between the houses so I'd say they blocked the toilet themselves and won't own up. I told the landlord he can sue me all he likes I won't be paying him a cent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Even if you were still living there it is unlikely that you would have to pay for the repairs unless it was obviously something you did. 4 months later is laughable.

In what way is he claiming it is your fault?

Advertisement