Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a small business/store

Options
  • 02-06-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm planning on opening my own clothing & footwear store in the City centre of Dublin by the end of next year (2015) giving myself a good 12 to 18 months too sort out everything that's needed to make it a success, or at least give it it's best chance of success. When researching on the internet I've found not much information or help at all.

The main thing I need help with is how to source my product (clothing and footwear). I would be interested in selling both high end clothing (Levi, Ralph Lauren, Diesel, J. Crew, etc.) and also fashionable sports wear (Nike, Adidas, Converse, Vans, etc.)

Also does anyone with experience have any idea of how much the minimum amount of stock is too be ordered by big brand name companies and how much each item would be sold to retailers for.

An example would be, let's say I sell Nike Air Max 1s (the more fashionable and classier version of the Nike Air Max range) they currently retail at store like JD Sports and Lifestyle Sports for €120. They are of course made in Asian countries so cost very little to produce, no more than $10 maybe even $5. How much would Nike then sell them on to retailers.

Thank you in advance for all help and information provided, it is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Hello, saw you got no response and was wondering how it was going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Not sure how I missed this at the time! How have you been getting on? I opened a shop in the City Centre just under a year and a half ago its definitely a better time to be doing it now!!

In "luxury" retail the mark up can range from 100% to 500%+ in some places I don't know exactly how much it is in sport shoes but I would imagine that is slightly higher than normal so you are probably looking at paying around €40-€50+VAT for that pair of shoes retailing at €120.

Be sure to do as much researched as possible that is a pretty congested market and there is a lot of price competition and some places are willing to run at very low margins which for an independent is very hard to compete with especially in the City Centre where the competition is highest. We focus on getting brands and products not available here so there isn't much price competition.

Advertisement