Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert!

• 02-06-2014 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey I did my leaving cert last year. I did a plc this year but I am going back repeating the leaving for points for nursing. I would like opinions on my subject choice thank you.

Last years subjects I did:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    Biology
    Geography
    Art
    Home ec
    Lcvp

I'm thinking this year I'll do:
    English
    Biology
    Geography
    Home ec
    Art
    Ag science

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Catwoman101

Em im a repeat and id go by what you did honours and pass in. Check the requirements for where you want to go and my advice is to repeat your honours subjects as its not worth your while repeating a pass subject. Why didnt you apply to England after your plc course and go straight into Nursing that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Em im a repeat and id go by what you did honours and pass in. Check the requirements for where you want to go and my advice is to repeat your honours subjects as its not worth your while repeating a pass subject. Why didnt you apply to England after your plc course and go straight into Nursing that way?

Thanks do u mind me asking what subjects did u do when u repeated. I was very young doing my leaving at 17 just turned 18 after the leaving cert and was immature. I'll be 19 this summer so felt I grew up. I wanted to go to England but parents would not allow me go this September coming, and I have to agree because they are the ones funding me as I can't get the grant. My mam said she will leave me go not this September but next as I will just be turned 20.
    Did you ever do ag science I never did it before but I heard it relates to geog and biology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shauna1995

I also do home ec art biology ag science
    home ec you've 25% done before you walk into the exam, a lot of theory to cover but it's not difficult to understand
    art the art history is only worth 35% of your over all exam, mostly all practical..I made a puppet, drew a still life and 2 life sketches for the exam which I did few weeks back
    Ag science project is worth 25% again..not hard just a lot of theory
    Biology I love expect there is a lot of worked needed, there is some cross overs with ag science eg plants, genetic crosses

And there is some cross over with geography .. Eg soil structure all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tamariskall

Shauna1995 wrote: »
    home ec you've 25% done before you walk into the exam, a lot of theory to cover but it's not difficult to understand
    art the art history is only worth 35% of your over all exam, mostly all practical..I made a puppet, drew a still life and 2 life sketches for the exam which I did few weeks back
    Biology I love expect there is a lot of worked needed, there is some cross overs with ag science eg plants, genetic crosses

The home Ec project is worth 20% and is done ( Or at least should be one) in 5 th yr!!

• Advertisement

Oh yes it's 20% sorry

Thanks was the ag science project very difficult. I'm trying to aim for more practical subjects as I would hopefully have extra percent before I go into the exam :)

Not at all !! :) I could try send you the layout if ya want??

Not at all !! :) I could try send you the layout if ya want??

Would you mind, I'd honestly would be so gratefull. I'll send my email in a private message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vickyquicky

Would you mind, I'd honestly would be so gratefull. I'll send my email in a private message :)

I'm from a farming community, although i do not live on a farm I am surrounded by agriculture and have a lot of close friends and relatives who are farmers. The Ag science project was far from easy unless you have a strong farming background, from the 15 who were in my class in September of 5th year 11 have now dropped out (end of 5th year). I would worry very much about you choosing so many practical subjects, you will be required to complete projects in Geography, Home Ec, LCVP and Ag Science, all of which should have been started in 5th year, in 6th year, while managing your other study too?

Are you also aware that Ag Science students have to complete an Oral Assessment and a plant an animal key exam before the leaving cert? Thank god my class are determined and hardworking but i know that the current leaving cert students lost marks in the oral due to the examiner selecting the unmotivated students for the oral thus bringing the overall average of the class down. All this is to be considered, ask yourself what you're getting yourself into before you jump in head first like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sarbear18

It's obviously up to you but I would advise against doing art. 1% of the country get an A1. I did art myself this year and I wish I hadn't. To get a high grade you need to really good at the history section too. I thought my practical went very well but after doing the history, which didn't actually go too badly, I know that there is no way I'll get the A. But then again I don't know what you're interests are :)

sarbear18 wrote: »
    It's obviously up to you but I would advise against doing art. 1% of the country get an A1. I did art myself this year and I wish I hadn't. To get a high grade you need to really good at the history section too. I thought my practical went very well but after doing the history, which didn't actually go too badly, I know that there is no way I'll get the A. But then again I don't know what you're interests are :)

Thanks. Ahh I'll bet u will do fine best of luck on ur results. I did lc last year and ended up getting a b in higher level and my still life left me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I wouldnt do english if I were you, unless you really like it. (IM assuming you passed it last year) But yeah the course changes so much each year, new play..new comparative questions..new poets..and the grading is so subjective one examiner could give you a very average grade that got you a high grade with another examiner.But thats just me!

I did
    English, irish, maths
    Geography
    Biology
    Art
    German

If I repeated I would Drop Maths, German and english. I found them hard subjects and I really didnt enjoy them
    If I repeated I think I would do
    Irish ( I went to irish school so IM fluent)
    Biology ( Have all the notes and flashcards done from this year so It would be much easier)
    Geography ( For same reason as bio)
    Art (Again same reason as last two)

And I would Pick up Ag science due to overlap with biology.
    And pick up Tech graphics too/ or technology. As I think id enjoy either of them and theyre avaliable in my school.

Id only do 6 subjects second time round tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

the home ec project is submitted in October/November of sixth year and it took the people in my year who did it all of fifth year and the start of sixth year to finish it and they had an incredible teacher so I'm not sure if you should do home ec tbh

I agree with ^ bb above that you should only do six subjects that's what most repeats do I think

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

I repeated this year and got my home ec project finished in 2 weeks, pretty good quality too id say, anythings possible with a lot of effort! :)

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    I repeated this year and got my home ec project finished in 2 weeks, pretty good quality too id say, anythings possible with a lot of effort! :)

True and did you have to re oook everything and then put into journal or can you just do the journal with out cooking :)

Advertisement