Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Talk Data: 4 Variable Types

• 02-06-2014 10:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've always operated under the assumption that there were only 4 data variable types: nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio. Examples:
    • Nominal: Mutually exclusive categories (e.g., either/or; male or female; right or wrong; true or false).
    • Ordinal: Greater or lesser than; ordered but unequal intervals (e.g., Richter magnitude scale; Gleason prostate cancer score grade 1-5; medical pain scale from 1-10; semantic differential scale; Likert opinion scale).
    • Interval: Precisely measured equal intervals, but arbitrary zero point (e.g., Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales; latitude; longitude).
    • Ratio: Precisely measured equal intervals with absolute zero (e.g., height; weight; euros).
    Why important? The variable data type, along with other considerations, suggests what statistical formula would be appropriate for data analysis.

What am I missing? Comments? Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

This is why I like qualitative research more then quan. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This is why I like qualitative research more then quan. :)
    If done rigorously, qualitative research methods are not a walk in the park. I would suggest that you read Hortense Powdermaker's Stranger and Friend (1967) wherein she discusses 5 major pieces of fieldwork in 5 chapters, especially the Hollywood study that was a complete methodological disaster (by her own admission).

Advertisement