Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving gel v soap

Options
  • 02-06-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but when I use shaving gel/foam my razors do not last very long. I'd be lucky to get ten days or so before they become a little blunt. Last year I ran out of the gel, so I took out my old shaving brush and with a bar of simple soap, I achieved a lovely foam. I noticed that my razors were lasting a lot longer using the soap. I was getting a month at least, out of each razor, even the cheap, throw away variety.
    I told my brother about my little discovery and he tried it with the same result. I am wondering now, if the gel/foam manufacturers are putting something in their products which shortens the life of the blades. A trace of some type of chloride would do the job, I suspect. After all, the gel manufacturers also make razors.

It makes you think, doesn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Regarding simple bar of soap,I got this info here, http://ia700406.us.archive.org/7/items/shavingmadeeasyw0020th/shavingmadeeasyw0020th.pdf (page 50)

"Use only a regular standard make of shaving soap. not, under any circumstances a toilet soap. The latter is not intended for shaving, and is likely to produce irritation of the skin and leave the face rough and sore."

I don't know what they put in the can of goo but, I still can't get rid of the rings they have left on the bottom of my cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Regarding simple bar of soap,I got this info here, http://ia700406.us.archive.org/7/items/shavingmadeeasyw0020th/shavingmadeeasyw0020th.pdf (page 50)
    "Use only a regular standard make of shaving soap. not, under any circumstances a toilet soap. The latter is not intended for shaving, and is likely to produce irritation of the skin and leave the face rough and sore."

written very carefully by a gel/razor manufacturer no doubt. Its rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Safehands wrote: »
    written very carefully by a gel/razor manufacturer no doubt. Its rubbish.

Nah, it was written in 1905. Read what it say about safety razors in the beginning. "Probably hundred thousand safety razors have been sold in the United States within the past few years and it's is extremely doubtful if ten per cent. of them are now in use."
    I pretty sure the Gillette disposables DE's came out around 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Nah, it was written in 1905. Read what it say about safety razors in the beginning. "Probably hundred thousand safety razors have been sold in the United States within the past few years and it's is extremely doubtful if ten per cent. of them are now in use."
    I pretty sure the Gillette disposables DE's came out around 1909.

I'd say there is one hell of a difference between soap in 1905 and simple soap use today. Anyway, I use it and I'm just telling you what I experienced. No rashes at all. Very smooth, great lather and a lot less money spent in the chemist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lefinn

oh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I'm a DE shaver and may be biased, but if you still have your old brush I suggest you get a tube of Palmolive in Tesco or a tube of Ingram's in Superdrug. I think you'll like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Try conditioner you won't get a smoother shave!

Advertisement