Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for adding attic sockets

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

fit the socket in a box

label the box

fit an isolating switch for the inaccessible socket

and on it goes...
    10 amp rcbo, or just rcd in box. Socket outside it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    If anyone opens an electrical box in an attic that has cables going into it it is their responsibility to interpret the label.
    It is not as if it is something such as a storage unit.

you could fit a warning notice adjacent to box

"DO NOT REMOVE LABEL":pac:

going back a bit...

surely a router should be readily accessible and visible where you can see the neon indicators

and not placed in an attic

When I was an apprentice, I opened an electrical panel

Progress, hey

Danger, Do Not Enter Attic

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Danger, Do Not Enter Attic

warning: site entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

going back a bit...

surely a router should be readily accessible and visible where you can see the neon indicators

Or in a box cos it'll overheat.

warning: site entrance

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would think that it would be accessible enough.
    Not exactly something that requires frequent maintenance.
    It could always be mounted near the attic hatch.

I plugged mine in a few years ago and have not looked at it since.

That is up to the OP, and not prohibited by the regulations so far as I can see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

superg wrote: »
    Or in a box cos it'll overheat.

There was no suggestion of installing the router in a box.
    The suggestion was to put the adapter plug into a JB to prevent "general use" of the socket outlet.

In general most electronic devices such has routers do not overheat.
    There are of course a few exceptions, but these can be identified by reading the manuals and/or spotting telltale signs such as cooling fans and/or vents.

If there is a genuine concern about overheating of a device due to installing it in an enclosure a few sensible precautions can be taken such as increasing the size of the box (even large enclosures can be purchased cheaply) or drilling holes in the box.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Progress, hey

Ah yes, opening a panel.
    I remember it well, the high point of my career.
    It has been all downhill ever since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Have a look at page 4 of this document. I think that the modification to an existing circuit would fall outside the scope of Restricted electrical works: "Minor electrical work will remain outside the scope of Restricted Electrical Works". Essentially the OP may be adding two additional points to an existing circuit.

Is it just a radial circuit or can a non REC add a socket or two off a ring circuit?
    The only reference I can find from your link is.
    , the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit

As stated earlier I don't want to derail this thread by turning it into another Restricted Works thread. However if you read page 4 of the document that I linked to it states:

"g) Minor electrical works including the replacement of an electrical accessory such as a light switch, the replacement or relocation of light fitting where the existing circuit is retained, the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit, or electrical works which do not require the issuance of a completion certificate under Section 9D of the Act."

The "such as " part in bold that I put in bold demonstrates that the following are examples of minor works. It does not say that it is limited to the examples given. In my opinion the addition of two extra points to an existing circuit would fall under the definition of minor works.

Perhaps i am wrong (this has happened before :D) but if you want to discuss it further please start another thread so as not to derail this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Is it just a radial circuit or can a non REC add a socket or two off a ring circuit?
    The only reference I can find from your link is.

Maybe CER will enlighten us some time,you raise a good point,a ring will have more room for error if adjusted by a DIY'er. The fuzzy nature of the descriptions it is because they'd rather REC's did any and all work. To me it still reads as one socket and one socket only.

EDIT:-Sorry 2011,back on topic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Interesting thread here. Op mentions a router and a switch (which I assume is an ip switch). There is a wide variety of these items with very different power requirements. I think it would be helpful to provide the power requirements to ensure a more definitive response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Cerco wrote: »
    Interesting thread here. Op mentions a router and a switch (which I assume is an ip switch). There is a wide variety of these items with very different power requirements. I think it would be helpful to provide the power requirements to ensure a more definitive response.

At the minute we only have one ip camera which is around 4w. The router is 15w and the switch 19.5w. If this is likely to stress any form or suggested solution I think we can dismiss it!

What is the fundamental difference between a socket circuit and a light circuit? It's looks to me like the attic light wiring is the same size as that used in the sockets (although bare in mind I'm judging these by inexperienced eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭greasepalm

does a router not need to be rebooted at times so would need accessibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

greasepalm wrote: »

Good point but one could just turn off the main switch and back on again.

greasepalm wrote: »

Most routers can be managed remotely. Occasionally however they can "hang" and required a hard reset.

Cerco wrote: »
    Most routers can be managed remotely. Occasionally however they can "hang" and required a hard reset.

I assume that this would be a rare occurrence and as such could be dealt with by turning off the MCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

:)

I assume that this would be a rare occurrence and as such could be dealt with by turning off the MCB.

Or for the rare occasions he could get up into the attic. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Usually I find most issues are wifi related so logging in via a wired connection allows you to reboot.

Advertisement