Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is one poem enough for English Paper 2?

Options
  • 02-06-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I know that the Junior Cert board is now diseased with questions like this:rolleyes:, but I was wondering if one poem is enough to see me through the poetry section in English Paper 2?

The poem in question is Seamus Heaney's Mid-Term Break. I know it inside out with plenty of quotes and notes, but I was wondering is one poem enough?

The questions always seem so vague and open-ended that anything could be used, but would ye recommend learning a second one?

Or do ye think that Mid-Term break is too commonly used and that I'd be better off doing something less common?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

To be quite honest you'd probably be fine with the one, but I'd really recommend learning one or two more just in case. Look at something with a contrasting theme like 'The Lake Isle of Inisfree' by WB Yeats or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

I know that the Junior Cert board is now diseased with questions like this:rolleyes:, but I was wondering if one poem is enough to see me through the poetry section in English Paper 2?

The poem in question is Seamus Heaney's Mid-Term Break. I know it inside out with plenty of quotes and notes, but I was wondering is one poem enough?

The questions always seem so vague and open-ended that anything could be used, but would ye recommend learning a second one?

Or do ye think that Mid-Term break is too commonly used and that I'd be better off doing something less common?

Thanks
    I dont know would one be enough like if they asked you about an interesting place/your favourite poet/2poems with the same theme/love etc youd be kinda screwed.Maybe just look over one or two others just so your completely covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Thanks for the advice. I know I have notes on "Going Home to Mayo, Winter 1949" in a copy somewhere, and "But You Didn't" as well.

I was always chancing my arm with 1, and got away with it. But it would be just like something specific like a question on war or nature to come up:mad:

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Thanks for the advice. I know I have notes on "Going Home to Mayo, Winter 1949" in a copy somewhere, and "But You Didn't" as well.

I was always chancing my arm with 1, and got away with it. But it would be just like something specific like a question on war or nature to come up:mad:

Thanks again

No bother i was just giving you worse case scenarios.id say youll be fine-chances.are if youre really stuck youll rememeber something.Good luck anyway
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Thanks for the advice. I know I have notes on "Going Home to Mayo, Winter 1949" in a copy somewhere, and "But You Didn't"

I looove but you didn't omg never studied it in school but such a sad poem
    Anyway what are notes on poetry like?! My English teacher never really gave us any and I'm planning on doing he wishes for the cloths of heaven and I just talk about metaphors, imagery, elaborate language etc. is it just that sort of thing? I've always winged the poetry Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

You might need to do anything in case the question came up became a poem you like and a poem you dislike. Our teacher said that correctors do really Like the poem mid term break...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Thanks

I suggest doing another Heaney poem, such as Digging

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

personally i think studying one poem is a bit risky.
    However after looking through a few past papers i don't see any questions that demand anything which could not be obtained from studying one poem only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

thetalker wrote: »
    personally i think studying one poem is a bit risky.
    However after looking through a few past papers i don't see any questions that demand anything which could not be obtained from studying one poem only.

The only thing I can think of is "x about your favourite poet, make reference to at least 2 of their poems."
    I'm not sure if that's came up recently or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Liordi wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is "x about your favourite poet, make reference to at least 2 of their poems."
    I'm not sure if that's came up recently or not.
    It came up in 2012 but some people think it could come up again because a lot of schools do Heaney as the poet but it's quite doubtful that they would ask such a similar question.

As for studying one poem: in 2009 they were very specific about the poem that was to answer the question (one of the questions was a war/peace poem and the other was also specific). If that happens again would your poem be able to cover you for it?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice...this has kinda pointed out the fact I really do need to learn another one or two. I just had a glimpse at the 2009 poetry question and I would be truly snookered if something that specific came up.

I'll be busy tomorrow.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Surely to holy moly you covered more than one poem in three years in English class?

spurious wrote: »
    Surely to holy moly you covered more than one poem in three years in English class?

We have read through plenty and "discussed" them, but only took down notes on three or four.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have read through plenty and "discussed" them, but only took down notes on three or four.

Ah OK, so you could, if needed, answer on more than just 'Mid term Break'.
    Prepare it, but also be ready to answer on the others. MTB is probably the most popular poem on the course in terms of answers, so the range of answers you will be up against will be very wide and will include some very high standard ones. Sometimes you're better off doing a less popular option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

spurious wrote: »
    Ah OK, so you could if needed answer on more than just 'Mid term Break'.
    Prepare it, but also be ready to answer on the others. MTB is probably the most popular poem on the course in terms of answers, so the range of answers you will be up again will be very wide and will include some very high standard ones. Sometimes you're better off doing a less popular option.

Our teacher gave us the same advice, I'm going to learn "Dulce Decorum est" and the "Lake Isle of Inishfree", or maybe "But you didn't" aswell, just to have it.

Advertisement