Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Discussion {MERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

sesswhat wrote: »
    A new water main passes close to my property on the public road.

However, my supply is connected to an old scheme run by the local council with all the pipework on private land. As new houses were built, they all tapped into the pipes where they ran behind the sites.

Ultimately the pipes go back to a reservoir maintained by the council and fed by the public water supply. Back in the 70's and 80's there was a charge for users of about £200/year but since then there have been no charges (I think there is an allowance per user but as they have no way of knowing who uses the water they must simply add up the allowances).

When the representative from Irish Water was asked about council run group schemes on a radio interview she was a bit vague about their plans for them but said they would probably take them over in the long run.

My question is whether I am a customer of Irish Water or not at this time?

I get from water from a group scheme but ultimately from the public mains as well.

(I have a septic tank so waste water does not apply)

Update:
    I found a bill my neighbour kept from 1996 from Donegal County Council, so obviously it is a council controlled scheme even though the pipework goes through private land, and new house owners simply tap into the nearest pipe to connect themselves. I imagine this puts me firmly into the 'Public water main' category.

The system would be very hard to meter and police so I don't know if Irish Water will eventually reconnect all properties to new mains pipes along the public road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lots of FB posts with plenty of "They paid off the judge" and "I don't care, I'm still not consenting." type comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

More Facebook guff about the rights of Irish Water. This guy says he asked his TD, apparently, who confirmed the nefarious truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Funny how TDs are always liars apparently, except when they agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

TheChizler wrote: »
    Funny how TDs are always liars apparently, except when they agree with you.

Also "funny" that he did not actually name this TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Yep - they still want the PPS for the free allowance. The free 30000l allowance is for both water and waste. If you are only a customer for waste water - you won't be metered so you will always pay a flat rate (assessed charge). The "assesed charge" is based on the number of adults you declare on the "application form" . That flat rate will increase by €73 per house.

See the proposed assessed charges here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unmetered-water-charges-how-will-it-work.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

It would - in the same way it would pay to lie about income or savings when claiming benefits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Difficult to do in practice, since I would assume information is shared with Revenue and Welfare, and almost everyone, except illegal workers and students, will be on one of those systems.

Seven anti-meter protestors are apparently up in the High Court on Wednesday. I am not sure if it's a hearing in relation to the temporary injunction granted to Sierra on Saturday or if they have breached it; all I know is that they are brandishing the pitchforks and pikes trying to get a baying mob for the day.

Ben must be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why don't the freemen just add their own terms and conditions to this
    http://www.water.ie/docs/General-Conditions-for-a-Water-and-Wastewater-connection.pdf

I didn't get a copy of this doc with my letter from IW, I wonder if they're trying to hide it...

I like section 1.28 where IW can update the terms and conditions at any time by publishing it on their website...

section 1.10.5 seems to prevent me giving anyone a drink of water, with written permission from IW....
    in fact section
    1.10.1 prevents me from using the water for anything other than what IW lets me do.

Section 1.95 seems to prevent using a toilet...

Why don't the freemen just add their own terms and conditions to this
    http://www.water.ie/docs/General-Conditions-for-a-Water-and-Wastewater-connection.pdf

I didn't get a copy of this doc with my letter from IW, I wonder if they're trying to hide it...

I like section 1.28 where IW can update the terms and conditions at any time by publishing it on their website...

As can most service providers.
    section 1.10.5 seems to prevent me giving anyone a drink of water, with written permission from IW....

Where does it say that?
    The Customer shall avoid waste in the use of water
    at any time, but especially in time of drought or
    water scarcity and shall not give or sell water,
    without the prior consent of Irish Water in writing.
    For the purposes of conserving water, where Irish
    Water has reason to believe that the management,
    consumption or other use of water on a Premises
    allows water to be wasted or fails to prevent water
    from being wasted or causes water to be consumed
    in excessive amounts, Irish Water may by notice
    direct the Customer of the Premises to take such
    corrective action (including installation, repair or
    replacement of specified pipes, valves or meters
    and other accessories, or change in operating
    practice in relation to the management or use of
    water) as Irish Water considers necessary
    1.10.1 prevents me from using the water for anything other than what IW lets me do.

Yes so you can't set up a car wash outside of your house.
    The Customer shall not use water supplied to the
    Premises for any purpose other than that specified
    by Irish Water without Irish Water’s prior written
    consent which may be refused or granted at its
    sole discretion.
    Section 1.95 seems to prevent using a toilet...

Now you're just making things up :rolleyes:
    Without prejudice to any licencing obligations,
    the Customer shall not permit the following to be
    discharged into the Wastewater Works:
    (a) any liquid matter or thing which is or may
    be liable to set or congeal in the Sewer or by
    which the free flow of Sewage may otherwise
    be interfered with, or is capable of giving off
    any flammable or explosive gas or any noxious
    odour in sufficient concentration to cause
    a nuisance;
    (b) Wastewater which by nature of volume or
    composition is likely to adversely affect the
    performance of a wastewater treatment plant(s)
    of Irish Water;
    (c) any acid, alkali or other substance in sufficient
    concentration to cause corrosion to Sewer
    network components;
    (d) any matter that causes or is likely to cause a risk
    to human health or safety or the environment.

section 1.10.5
    IW wrote:
    The Customer ... and shall not give ... water,
    without the prior consent of Irish Water in writing.

Re section 1.10.1 Planning regulations would decide about a car wash. Plenty of garages use rainwater capture as it is.
    IW don't seem to provide a list of broad allowed uses, or a narrow list of uses they don't want you to use their water for.
    Re-reading this, it would seem like as IW haven't given written permission to fill a kettle, then pretty much all use is banned...
    IW wrote:
    The Customer shall not use water supplied to the
    Premises for any purpose other than that specified
    by Irish Water without Irish Water’s prior written
    consent which may be refused or granted at its
    sole discretion.

IW wrote:
    Without prejudice to any licencing obligations,
    the Customer shall not permit the following to be
    discharged into the Wastewater Works:
    (d) any matter that causes or is likely to cause a risk
    to human health or safety or the environment.

Now, I'd consider faeces to be likely to cause a risk to the environment, especially if it rains and IW allow raw sewage to pollute beaches all over Fingal, or in the case of Arklow, allow raw sewage flow into the River Avoca.

section 1.10.5

Re section 1.10.1 Planning regulations would decide about a car wash. Plenty of garages use rainwater capture as it is.
    IW don't seem to provide a list of broad allowed uses, or a narrow list of uses they don't want you to use their water for.
    Re-reading this, it would seem like as IW haven't given written permission to fill a kettle, then pretty much all use is banned...

Now, I'd consider faeces to be likely to cause a risk to the environment, especially if it rains and IW allow raw sewage to pollute beaches all over Fingal, or in the case of Arklow, allow raw sewage flow into the River Avoca.

Yeah

Ok

You can sit there interpreting selectively quoting till you're blue in the face, It still won't mean that you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I just rang Irish Water about Section 1.10.1 and asked where the specified allowed uses are outlined. They aren't outlined anywhere.

• Advertisement

TV3 is showing a documentary this evening at 9PM about Irish Water called Water; Why Pay for It. Should be on the 3Player later on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes so you can't set up a car wash outside of your house.

Now you're just making things up :rolleyes:

Can you please point out where that is written?

We are speaking of a legal contract here, so presumably you have some reference to provide ...... or ......

As can most service providers.
    si27_1995 wrote:
    Section 3(2)
    For the purpose of these Regulations a contractual term shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract to the detriment of the consumer, taking into account the nature of the goods or services for which the contract was concluded and all circumstances attending the conclusion of the contract and all other terms of the contract or of another contract on which it is dependent.
    Now if IW can unilaterally change the terms of the contract, and not notify the consumer, that would seem to me to be a significant imbalance, to the detriment of the consumer.

in fact schedule 3 (1) (j) of the regulations si27/1995 specifically state
    si27_1995 wrote:
    enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Now if IW can unilaterally change the terms of the contract, and not notify the consumer, that would seem to me to be a significant imbalance, to the detriment of the consumer.

si27_1995 wrote:
    enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract

In the past, companies would publish changes to T&C's by way of newspaper advertisements so this is no different.

It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't inform companies by other means.

Irish Water is a monopoly. Most water companies are. We have 26+ water companies currently operating in Ireland that are hugely inefficient so abolishing them into a single monopoly is a benefit.

Five Lamps wrote: »

In the past, companies would publish changes to T&C's by way of newspaper advertisements so this is no different.

It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't inform companies by other means.

The fact stuff happened in the past doesn't seem to make this valid. I think it's fairly clear that the European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) regs make any significantly imbalanced to the detriment of the consumer term unfair and invalid. IW have spent a lot of money getting setup, they should have got their ducks in a row here.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: can we please make sure to parse quotes properly. The logic is straightforward enough. Every time you open a quote tag, you close it.

E.g. [noparse]
    User23948 wrote:
    hullaballoo's a pedantic fcuker
    [/noparse]

will give you:
    User23948 wrote:

E.g. #2 [noparse]
    User98423 wrote:
    User23984 wrote:
    You're not wrong there!
    [/noparse]

will give you:
    User98423 wrote:
    User23984 wrote:
    You're not wrong there!

Broken quote tags really mess with the format and flow of discussion. If you've gotten it wrong, please edit it. If you see someone else has gotten it wrong either don't quote them or fix what's broken when you do.

A report on todays hearing in the High Court. You can guess which way the anti meter side will read this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0924/647711-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A report on todays hearing in the High Court. You can guess which way the anti meter side will read this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0924/647711-water/
    The High Court has lifted an injunction against nine water charge protesters after they gave an undertaking not to engage in any unlawful activity such as obstruction, assault or harassment of meter installation workers in Dublin.

However, the court has continued a general injunction against all others who engage in such activity.

Does that mean those nine are allowed to protest (peacefully) but no one else is?

I must be misinterpreting it ...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Does that mean those nine are allowed to protest (peacefully) but no one else is?

I must be misinterpreting it ...... :(

The injunction is an odd one and the counsel quoted in the article is correct in saying that the injunction is simply barring people from doing things they could be arrested for. So no it does not mean no one can protest, it just means that no one can assault, obstruct etc. The people involved have had that injunction against them lifted, for on other reason really than they challenged it.

In general it's my understanding undertakings ref injunctions can involve the agreement to pay damages if breached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Bepolite wrote: »
    The injunction is an odd one and the counsel quoted in the article is correct in saying that the injunction is simply barring people from doing things they could be arrested for. So no it does not mean no one can protest, it just means that no one can assault, obstruct etc. The people involved have had that injunction against them lifted, for on other reason really than they challenged it.

In general it's my understanding undertakings ref injunctions can involve the agreement to pay damages if breached.

The injunction was lifted as against 9 people who agreed to enter into an undertaking that is the same as the injunction. So they did not challange it they accepted it, breach of an undertaking is contempt of court it's not just damages its jail time than you very much.

Advertisement