Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Discussion {MERGE}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The right to protest is subject to public order laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Add to that, their are also many videos on youtube of protestors doing absolutely nothing on camera, bar refusing to move (as is their right) when they're carted off in handcuffs.

Believe what you want and say what you want about the Gardaí but they aren't carting people off in handcuffs for absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

He's causing an obstruction, he was asked by the guards to move and didn't. If he'd moved 4 feet in any direction there wouldn't have been an issue. PR stunt plain and simple.

I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over this. You lot don't know how to protest. Take a leaf out of Ghandi's book and stop being a bunch of pansy-ass whingers, take ya lumps and attempt to capture the moral high ground.

This isn't legal advice but a couple of work colleagues have had meters put in and the remedial work done has been of a basic standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

OK irish water side issue but ....

World's top peer reviewed medical journal declares fluoride a neurotoxin
    Not that we all did not know that already. However, this is significant because Lancet is number one, no questions asked. This is just the abstract, but it says enough.5th line down

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/fulltext#article_upsell

so with irish water putting a known neurotoxin into the water,and we are all paying for it....can i sue???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

haha good luck with that the attention to detail with them is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GREENGEKO wrote: »

Not that we all did not know that already. However, this is significant because Lancet is number one, no questions asked. This is just the abstract, but it says enough.5th line down

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/fulltext#article_upsell

so with irish water putting a known neurotoxin into the water,and we are all paying for it....can i sue???

Of course you can sue them if you like; the hard bit is in winning your case.

I'm no legal expert but I suspect that you'll need a little bit more than a couple of lines off the internet to get yourself some lucre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be a separate stop cock elsewhere. Indeed there might already be a meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/lancet-retracts-wakefield-article/
    “To implicate high fluoride, which they quote as one of the new chemicals…they quote only one paper; this only compares the mean IQs of children in villages with different levels of fluoride, with no allowance made for any other differences, and no actual measurement of fluoride in individual children and comparison with their IQs. This is not good evidence.” - See more at: http://blog.americanchemistry.com/2014/02/authors-ignore-fundamental-principles-of-science-in-lancet-paper-opt-for-alarmism/#sthash.CfYQsmED.dpuf

The Lancet like any science journal can get it wrong and actully that is partly its function, to hold up a study in the lancet as gospel shows a flawed understanding of what scientific peer review publication actully is.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/lancet-retracts-wakefield-article/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would love to think so, but not a hope.

The water I receive is so badly tainted at times ..... I can get the smell from the next room when the tap is run .... that it is impossible to drink, and likely unsafe too.

Nobody wants to know ... they will do tests, but it seems whoever is 'dumping' the poison into the water has advanced knowledge as the tests never show anything I am told.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I would love to think so, but not a hope.

The water I receive is so badly tainted at times ..... I can get the smell from the next room when the tap is run .... that it is impossible to drink, and likely unsafe too.

Nobody wants to know ... they will do tests, but it seems whoever is 'dumping' the poison into the water has advanced knowledge as the tests never show anything I am told.

Surely if you can smell chemicals from the next room, you might consider getting the water tested somewhere yourself?

As in pay a lab to do it?

3 things:

1. The summary of a medical paper isn't a good reference. It specifically refers to "industrial chemicals" and it may well be that the term has a specific meaning ascribed by the paper that doesn't include fluoridated water.

2. Oxygen is toxic. You want to sue Coillte?

3. Beware articles in the Lancet that talk about the causes of autism. They have a bad track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Surely if you can smell chemicals from the next room, you might consider getting the water tested somewhere yourself?

As in pay a lab to do it?

It is being discussed at present ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Of course it's toxic in the right quantities/concentrations. That was never in dispute. It would need to be proven that there's danger at the levels it exists in the water system to be of any legitimate concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I am so bored of this **** now. I can't even be arsed to argue...

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?ref=bookmark&app_id=4748854339

[Edit: think the FB link is broken]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

He was refusing to comply with Garda instructions.
    Were you by any chance listening to Sean O'Rourke today on radio 1? A resident where protesting was taking place said that not all protesters were from his local area. Those that weren't were just out for votes in the next election! Guess what? In that clip, a Councellor was arrested!
    There were protests on my street and not 1 was from the area. They blocked my drive one a few occasions and refused to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Anyone down there to pop in for a goo?

http://www.newstalk.com/Cork-woman-takes-High-Court-challenge-against-water-charges

Cork woman takes High Court challenge against water charges
    Francesca Comyn
    14:19 Tuesday 30 September

A Cork woman has brought a High Court challenge against water charges. Elizabeth Hourihane of Maulbaun in Passage West claims a state asset has been handed over against the public interest.

Ms Hourihane believes the setting up of Irish Water is the first step towards privatising an essential service.

The court heard she needs to be constantly hydrated because she has Crohn's disease, and believes the installation of a water meter into her home will impede on her health and quality of life.

She says she is concerned that another utility bill could leave her having to make decisions between food and water.

She believes Irish Water has no legal right to force a contract on her.

Ms Hourihane is seeking several orders and leave from the court to bring a judicial review challenging the lawfulness of the decision of the Environment Minister to set up Irish Water.

A hearing will take place this afternoon.

http://www.newstalk.com/Cork-woman-takes-High-Court-challenge-against-water-charges

Francesca Comyn

A Cork woman has brought a High Court challenge against water charges. Elizabeth Hourihane of Maulbaun in Passage West claims a state asset has been handed over against the public interest.

Ms Hourihane believes the setting up of Irish Water is the first step towards privatising an essential service.

The court heard she needs to be constantly hydrated because she has Crohn's disease, and believes the installation of a water meter into her home will impede on her health and quality of life.

She says she is concerned that another utility bill could leave her having to make decisions between food and water.

Ms Hourihane is seeking several orders and leave from the court to bring a judicial review challenging the lawfulness of the decision of the Environment Minister to set up Irish Water.

Hopefully a Judge will give a solid judgment here to finally put an end to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Were you by any chance listening to Sean O'Rourke today on radio 1? A resident where protesting was taking place said that not all protesters were from his local area. Those that weren't were just out for votes in the next election! Guess what? In that clip, a Councellor was arrested!

Would YOU comply with a Garda if he told you to put your hand in the fire....

YOU are not up at these protests and don`t see whats going on. You are happy to sit back and take it up the arse from this corrupt government and its cronies....oh wait maybe you are one of them.

Look in all seriousness, do you not think we the public have not taken enough hardship in order to pay back these debts that we did not incur or are responsible for. Paying for water was always going to be the straw that broke the camels back..... people don`t/won`t take anymore...its bordering ridiculous now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

whackball wrote: »
    Would YOU comply with a Garda if he told you to put your hand in the fire....

That's an extremely fallacious and absurd argument and does not meet the standard of posts for Legal Discussion. Take this as your only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 azylonk

Here's something to think about: why is sewage costing as much as water? Water is expensive because of all the leaky pipes to be replaced. Is this true of the sewers? I doubt it. Otherwise, we'd be living on a dungheap.

So, are they gouging a bit extra from us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

azylonk wrote: »
    Here's something to think about: why is sewage costing as much as water? Water is expensive because of all the leaky pipes to be replaced. Is this true of the sewers? I doubt it. Otherwise, we'd be living on a dungheap.

So, are they gouging a bit extra from us?
    It does feel a bit like they pulled those numbers out of their rear ends tbh.

chops018 wrote: »

Seems there are a certain type to these protests. Perhaps the type that are available during the week days...

(He says sitting on boards in the middle of the afternoon.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Bepolite wrote: »
    Seems there are a certain type to these protests. Perhaps the type that are available during the week days...

(He says sitting on boards in the middle of the afternoon.)

I can only speak for those I know personally when I say that the most vocal protesters in my area are all unemployed. They're also the type to complain about pretty much everything the government do, good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Would you comply with garda instructions if garda instructed you to drive your car at 90MPH ?

Francesca Comyn

Direct Democracy Ireland member. Stood in local elections.

• Advertisement

Advertisement