Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Discussion {MERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Direct Democracy Ireland member. Stood in local elections.
    Apparently she has an honours BCL. Ooh-la-la! Shame they didn't teach her any proof-reading skills. :rolleyes:

ehourihane1.jpg?w=722&h=960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

GREENGEKO wrote: »
    OK irish water side issue but ....

World's top peer reviewed medical journal declares fluoride a neurotoxin
    Not that we all did not know that already. However, this is significant because Lancet is number one, no questions asked. This is just the abstract, but it says enough.5th line down

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/fulltext#article_upsell

so with irish water putting a known neurotoxin into the water,and we are all paying for it....can i sue???

Chocolate is also toxic if the quantity is high enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Irish Water seem to be having a bad week.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-faces-court-action-over-bug-threats-30623181.html

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has confirmed that the utility company is being prosecuted for failing to comply with directions to replace lead pipes and remove dangerous chemicals and bugs from supplies in Donegal, Kerry and Mayo. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-faces-court-action-over-bug-threats-30623181.html#sthash.7hkod1dT.dpuf

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-faces-court-action-over-bug-threats-30623181.html

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has confirmed that the utility company is being prosecuted for failing to comply with directions to replace lead pipes and remove dangerous chemicals and bugs from supplies in Donegal, Kerry and Mayo. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-faces-court-action-over-bug-threats-30623181.html#sthash.7hkod1dT.dpuf

One of the reasons for the new charges. Money is needed to upgrade the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That and the director resigning today! But that's a controversy of a different sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

If people refuse to pay the water tax, does it go on a charge on the home like the property tax and the NPPR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Thank you for your reply. Would it not be very costly for IW to take multiplies of people to court, would the cost not be defeating the purpose and if people genuinely cant afford to pay what happens then, mass imprisonment of the poor??

Wasn't they a MABS report out last year that people only have a minute amount of money left over at the end of each month, so where is an extra three and four hundred euro going to come from to pay the new water charge and then we looking at the broadcasting charge coming down the road, there is no end to it these days and it is the poor that are suffering the most.
    Even the unemployed are expected to pay the water tax, where on earth are they going to get the money from. I can't really see FG/Lab surviving this at the next election.

bluemartin wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Would it not be very costly for IW to take multiplies of people to court, would the cost not be defeating the purpose and if people genuinely cant afford to pay what happens then, mass imprisonment of the poor??

Wasn't they a MABS report out last year that people only have a minute amount of money left over at the end of each month, so where is an extra three and four hundred euro going to come from to pay the new water charge and then we looking at the broadcasting charge coming down the road, there is no end to it these days and it is the poor that are suffering the most.
    Even the unemployed are expected to pay the water tax, where on earth are they going to get the money from. I can't really see FG/Lab surviving this at the next election.

It would be costly for the non payer, not IW. Some unemployed are on better money than some employed on minimum wages! It's only right that everyone pays for what they use.

It would be costly for the non payer, not IW. Some unemployed are on better money than some employed on minimum wages! It's only right that everyone pays for what they use.

That maybe so but they can't get blood from a stone, the directors of IW are awarding themselves huge salaries, they don't have to worry too much about paying for their own charges.

I see huge discussion about this on social media and the general consensus is that people are burning and putting their forms in the bins, it will be very interesting to watch how all this pans out.

Your comment about on people on social welfare is uncalled for, I recall many years ago being on social welfare with a young family for a short period of time, I can tell you it was no bed of roses, you should try it for a while.

• Advertisement

That maybe so but they can't get blood from a stone, the directors of IW are awarding themselves huge salaries, they don't have to worry too much about paying for their own charges.

I see huge discussion about this on social media and the general consensus is that people are burning and putting their forms in the bins, it will be very interesting to watch how all this pans out.

Your comment about on people on social welfare is uncalled for, I recall many years ago being on social welfare with a young family for a short period of time, I can tell you it was no bed of roses, you should try it for a while.

I have done! I said "some". SOME long term unemployed, say a couple with 2 kids, getting rent allowance are much better off than a similar couple with both parents working minimum wage, after mortgage/rent, childcare, travel costs, etc are taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

It's not a general concensus that people a burning the letters ... It's a minority of ill informed people who are just looking for attention while the vast majority are sending the packs back and not looking for attention on social media.

Don't look to social media for a trend as your social media feeds will be biased towards your own opinions ... You don't follow those you disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The Govt expect some or all them to claim an exceptional needs payment. They have specifically mentioned it when talking about affordability of water.
    Apparently you don't have to be on welfare to claim it - just do a means test and not be working full time .
    I wonder if the system or the welfare budget could cope if a few hundred thousand put in a claim to cover water bills every quarter.
    Then again - it wasn't long ago they were paying it out for communion parties!

whippet wrote: »
    .. It's a minority of ill informed people who are just looking for attention while the vast majority are sending the packs back and not looking for attention on social media.

Do you have a source for this? If yes I am sure there is nothing to worry about then and every one will happily pay up and get on with their lives. At least customers will be assured of an excellent water supply in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Sweet Jaysus....3 Adults in a medium usage house with the Allowance, paying for water in and out is €528. And it's going up in 2016!!

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/figures-for-water-charges-released.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Sweet Jaysus....3 Adults in a medium usage house with the Allowance, paying for water in and out is €528. And it's going up in 2016!!

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/figures-for-water-charges-released.html

So that's three adults paying €3.38 each per week for all their water. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

bajer101 wrote: »
    So that's three adults paying €3.38 each per week for all their water. What's the problem?

Some people don't like drinking common water from the tap and don't want to give up buying a couple of drinks in the shop or down the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

can not politicians claim their water rates as an expense for their second house, so much for everyone paying for what they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Is the Church paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Is the Church paying?

You can't put a price on holy water :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Chocolate is also toxic if the quantity is high enough.
    Funny enough, so is water itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

bajer101 wrote: »

Problem is, we are already paying tax to cover water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Slozer wrote: »

And from now we won't be. That money will go elsewhere. From now we'll be paying for it via the water charges. It's not double taxation, it's just extra taxation.

we were but post 2008 the tax base collasped then the bail out came and now the troike have to be paid, all of this on top of massive underinvestment in the water network down through the years. I dont think it isnt that people dont want to pay for the service but that there is a fear out there that aftet the initial introductory charges, the bills will be astronomical and Irish people will be paying some of the highest charges in Europe.

And from now we won't be. That money will go elsewhere. From now we'll be paying for it via the water charges. It's not double taxation, it's just extra taxation.

Its not a tax, its a charge for a service imposed on the people against their will. Since it is not a tax, the people are under no obligation to pay the charge.

we were but post 2008 the tax base collasped then the bail out came and now the troike have to be paid, all of this on top of massive underinvestment in the water network down through the years. I dont think it isnt that people dont want to pay for the service but that there is a fear out there that aftet the initial introductory charges, the bills will be astronomical and Irish people will be paying some of the highest charges in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Its not a tax, its a charge for a service imposed on the people against their will. Since it is not a tax, the people are under no obligation to pay the charge.

I take it you don't pay your TV licence, so.

It's a charge for use. If you use the water you are obliged to pay for it. Simple as that.

We still are paying for Irish water through our taxes. We paid for setting it up and we are paying the wages of the people who are working there, water meter installation etc. I certainly don't want to pay a charge which is already covered by my tax. You are right, people will pay for the service, but the point is they already are.
    If the government want more money to cover their failed policies they should come up with better ideas than introducing an extra charge on the poor people of Ireland.

• Advertisement

I take it you don't pay your TV licence, so.
    I do pay for my license for my TV but what I don't do is pay a tax for my license and a fee for my tv license.

Advertisement