Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Discussion {MERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ligertigon wrote: »
    I think you need to go to bed earlier dude 2:30am worrying about this stuff?

I'm open to correction but I don't think you're his mother
    anyhow you are the one that chose the blue pill, because you have not woken up to the simple reality that we are being taxed unfairly, ie as you mentioned the "central fund" aka bad management.

I have no problem with tax, and I pay a hefty amount each year. My gripe is yet more NEW taxes yet no NEW services. And finally for the last time, we already pay for water, right now!
    I'm off now to my cat, dog, well water and quiet life, and not spending anymore time consuming myself on this ****e! lol
    have a nice day

Yeah but the government is ending that - the money we currently pay for water will now be redistributed (probably to health or social welfare) and we will have to pay for water separately as a metered service based on consumption; which is only fair.

The only people who are really clueless are the ones that keep repeating a mantra that is logically flawed.

Everyone has the right to protest when they see a wrondoing. However, those protesting against water metering shot themselves in the foot when they couldn't agree on their objections. Some just don't want to pay. Some don't agree with being metered. Then some bright sparks came up with radiation from the meters affecting health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Everyone has the right to protest when they see a wrondoing. However, those protesting against water metering shot themselves in the foot when they couldn't agree on their objections. Some just don't want to pay. Some don't agree with being metered. Then some bright sparks came up with radiation from the meters affecting health.

There's radiation from the meters?????????:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Don't panic, you can prevent the radiation entering your property by affixing an A4 notice to your front door notifying the said radiation that it does not have permission to enter the premises as it has no contract. :)

"She fully supported the protest and she was particularly concerned about the health issues associated with smart meters and possible radiation emanating from the devices"

I originally thought that they were afraid of the "smart" bit, but, no it's the "possible" radiation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

"She fully supported the protest and she was particularly concerned about the health issues associated with smart meters and possible radiation emanating from the devices"

I originally thought that they were afraid of the "smart" bit, but, no it's the "possible" radiation.

"She? The Irish Water communications expert?
    I don't blame her TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Everyone has the right to protest when they see a wrondoing.
    I agree to an extent
    My gripe is the protesters stopping work on my street weren't from the area nor were any people from my street out with them. I want a meter and they almost prevented me from getting one.

"She? The Irish Water communications expert?
    I don't blame her TBH.

I meant to include this link. It's a quote taken from it. It's from April. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/anti-water-meter-protests-spread-to-dublin-1.1771005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Unfortunately, there's no reasoning with people who just make up stuff as they go along. There's no "radiation" of the type protestors would like you think about. The units obviously contain small radio transmitters to transmit the meter data. Given that most homes have more powerful radio transmitters from wifi routers to babymonitors to iPhone transmitters this is hardly a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Five Lamps wrote: »
    babymonitors
    Oh Nooooooooes!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Oh Nooooooooes!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember - when you switch on a baby monitor you are entering into a contract or something like that.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of homes are now metered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cue a €5 Chinese device that hijacks the transmitter and sends bogus low readings instead.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Cue a €5 Chinese device that hijacks the transmitter and sends bogus low readings instead.

Thought that there was already some widget being sold that would "defeat the meter".

According to the documents, these meters have a range of anti-fraud measures built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thought that there was already some widget being sold that would "defeat the meter".

According to the documents, these meters have a range of anti-fraud measures built in.

Device; aka a pipe that pypassed the meter. The meter signal is AES encrypted so pretty unhackable unless there's some huge security flaw, key included in the handshake or something stupid like that. They have a mechanical readout as well so it's verifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Daragh O Brien reckons they've committed a data breach already.
    I suppose getting that an Bord Gáis know how helped.

Daragh O Brien reckons they've committed a data breach already.
    I suppose getting that an Bord Gáis know how helped.

My general reaction to this event in isolation would be 'meh'. It's no different to getting a letter delivered to the wrong address. All you're learning is that at some point a name and a property were related.

However I'd be worried that if they're messing up simple objects in a database, or dealing with out of date databases, that the content of letters in the future (when delivered to the intended recipient) could contain errors or someone else's data. Basically, not off to a great start.

It's one thing to have a very transparent data policy but it's an entirely different thing to implement it and manage it.

It seems IW are making schoolboy errors in handling the data they have. I'm not surprised from experience of recent dealings with BGN - where they admitted to using an old database of homeowners for a meter upgrade. It just isn't on in this day and age.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Device; aka a pipe that pypassed the meter. The meter signal is AES encrypted so pretty unhackable unless there's some huge security flaw, key included in the handshake or something stupid like that. They have a mechanical readout as well so it's verifiable.

Surry this would be the first item on the fraud list - user bypasses meter in some shape or form. It's known to happen with both gas and electricity services.

Having had a look inside my meter "box" - there isn't much room in there for extra piping.

When you get a letter that says "dear householder", do not open it. Anyway, its illegal to open a letter that's not in your name!

The letters are addressed to a person - ie the one who registered for Household Charge. The letter begins "Dear Customer" under customers name and address. They ask for ONE PPS number only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was thinking that Tony Rochford has been quiet recently. Unbeknownst to me, he has been busy helping to defend the American Embassy from water poisoning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=685169154900149&set=pcb.685169508233447&type=1&theater

• Advertisement

I was thinking that Tony Rochford has been quiet recently. Unbeknownst to me, he has been busy helping to defend the American Embassy from water poisoning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=685169154900149&set=pcb.685169508233447&type=1&theater

Well bless his little cotton socks. Tone is a busy boy. Anti water meters, LPT, house repossessions, now caretaker to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If it was in the charge of a council, in is now with Irish Water.

If it is still private between a group of neighbours, they will continue to pay. If the scheme gets some water from Irish Water, that is likely to be metered.

No. It is an offence to open post addressed to someone else (without their consent). That is not the situation here, as it is quite clearly addressed to the householder..

So if an post send me a letter about TV licence entitled dear resident it would be illegal for me to open it? Sky sent a letter last week addressed to the resident and i opened it, should I expect swat teams through the window: roll eyes:

So if an post send me a letter about TV licence entitled dear resident it would be illegal for me to open it? Sky sent a letter last week addressed to the resident and i opened it, should I expect swat teams through the window: roll eyes:

You do realise you're agreeing with him in your post right?

Surry this would be the first item on the fraud list - user bypasses meter in some shape or form. It's known to happen with both gas and electricity services.

Having had a look inside my meter "box" - there isn't much room in there for extra piping.
    I haven't actually seen one in real life but I'm told that's what it is. Entirely possible though. And undoubtably illegal.

You do realise you're agreeing with him in your post right?

No I am asking if it is illegal for me to open these, what about random junk mail?

No I am asking if it is illegal for me to open these, what about random junk mail?

And read back and see what you mean now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No. It is an offence to open post addressed to someone else (without their consent). That is not the situation here, as it is quite clearly addressed to the householder..
    Whut?

Whut?

Timberrrrrrrr need sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This post has been deleted.

This raises a question ....... do those people have to return the form with their PPS number filled in?

Advertisement