Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Discussion {MERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

fxotoole wrote: »
    They don't need to sue people. They'll just restrict their water supplies.

can't be done!! scare tactic is all that is

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

cowzerp wrote: »
    can't be done!! scare tactic is all that is

Evidence?

Or just some other lie your plumber buddy told you?

Evidence?

Or just some other lie your plumber buddy told you?

the claim of it been turned down needs evidence, you cant prove a negative

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1.2 billion a year of our taxes come directly for water, minister coveney even confirmed this stat, considering there is 1.7 million homes inhabited in Ireland, thats 705 euro a year on average per household already paying for water
    Not all of this relates to households. Businesses already pay directly for water.
    the low quality meters they are installing we will be seeing way more leaks,
    If this is true, the manufacturers / suppliers can be held responsible.
    The government doesn't have the money to pay legal aid for all the people they will need to bring to court who won't be paying
    Why would legal aid be available?

Victor wrote: »
    Not all of this relates to households. Businesses already pay directly for water.

yeah direct to the council, not to the government
    I pay it myself

Also the water tax comes from vat, income tax and car tax that was all added on specifically for water, so either way the average is 705 per household, even if business came into the equation, it's all money in the water pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also the water tax comes from ...
    You might want to re-look at the tenses there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

the claim of it been turned down needs evidence, you cant prove a negative

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

can someone with technical knowledge tell me how irish water can turn down/restrict supply to an individual house based on whether that house has or has not paid their bill? Especially to those houses without a new meter.

Victor wrote: »
    You might want to re-look at the tenses there.

the taxes added onto all these were direct for water when the last double tax of water was attempted
    garhjw wrote: »
    Huh?

you cant prove god doesn't exist, just like you can't prove this negative
    The onus is on the 1 claiming it can be lowered to prove his claim, I can tell you now a stop cock has an on and off feature, no inbetween

to lower pressure the whole estate would need to be lowered.

but plumbers who've been working on the system the last 15 years wouldn't know that would they Timberrrrr!

the taxes added onto all these were direct for water when the last double tax of water was attempted

you cant prove god doesn't exist, just like you can't prove this negative
    The onus is on the 1 claiming it can be lowered to prove his claim, I can tell you now a stop cock has an on and off feature, no inbetween

to lower pressure the whole estate would need to be lowered.

but plumbers who've been working on the system the last 15 years wouldn't know that would they Timberrrrr!

Or the new meter that runs to your specific water pipe has a tap that can be turned to restrict water to your house. But hey i'm no plumber so what do i know? Any sign of that evidence that IW workers are causing leaks all over the country and the water meters are shoddy pieces of work guaranteed to break?

• Advertisement

Or the new meter that runs to your specific water pipe has a tap that can be turned to restrict water to your house. But hey i'm no plumber so what do i know? Any sign of that evidence that IW workers are causing leaks all over the country and the water meters are shoddy pieces of work guaranteed to break?

1st off they cant, secondly nobody should have a meter in and i certainly won't have 1 so it won't be an issue to me anyway, they have to take me and thousands more to court for breach of contract!

Contract that cant be forced on you and that i have not and will not sign.

1st off they cant, secondly nobody should have a meter in and i certainly won't have 1 so it won't be an issue to me anyway, they have to take me and thousands more to court for breach of contract!

First off, Can't what?

Secondly, If you are using the public water system and/or sewerage system then you will pay like the rest of us, you can bluff and bluster online all you like but once you are using the services you will eventually pay for it. You may not like this but that's tough titty.

First off, Can't what?

Secondly, If you are using the public water system and/or sewerage system then you will pay like the rest of us, you can bluff and bluster online all you like but once you are using the services you will eventually pay for it. You may not like this but that's tough titty.

Cant lower the pressure, it's not true

And I won't be paying for this, it's even on their own website they will need to bring us to court for breach of contract, it's beyond funny how stupid some people are thinking they can force anyone into a contract!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

They won't be taking you to court for breach of contract. That's something the morons from DDI and Dublin Says No spout. If you have no meter you will receive an estimated bill. If you don't pay it you will be taken to court for failing to pay the charges and fined. Then the revenue will simply deduct it from you.

Cant lower the pressure, it's not true

And I won't be paying for this, it's even on their own website they will need to bring us to court for breach of contract, it's beyond funny how stupid some people are thinking they can force anyone into a contract!!

Why can't they lower the pressure?

Everytime you use your tap you re enforce your contract. I have no contract with the roads crowd does that mean i can cross the M50 for free from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you don't pay it you will be taken to court for failing to pay the charges and fined. Then the revenue will simply deduct it from you.

I have yet to see anything in legislation that says that the Revenue have the power to deduct water charges from you. Can you point to that, please?

As far as I can see, it would be like any other company trying to collect a debt from you - court, judgement, etc ... but no power for the Revenue to deduct at source.

They won't be taking you to court for breach of contract. That's something the morons from DDI and Dublin Says No spout. If you have no meter you will receive an estimated bill. If you don't pay it you will be taken to court for failing to pay the charges and fined. Then the revenue will simply deduct it from you.

scare mongering, it';s even on their website that they have to go through normal procedures of breach of contract, contract we don't have

Revenue cant take money for a private company, simply cant

scare mongering, it';s even on their website that they have to go through normal procedures of breach of contract, contract we don't have

If you use the public water system then you have a contract. Don't want a contract? Cut yourself off from the public water and sewerage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you are connected to mains water you will have no choice .... the meter will be inserted between your connection and the main pipe, and will not be on your property.

Paulw wrote: »
    I have yet to see anything in legislation that says that the Revenue have the power to deduct water charges from you. Can you point to that, please?

As far as I can see, it would be like any other company trying to collect a debt from you - court, judgement, etc ... but no power for the Revenue to deduct at source.

Afaik the revenue are being given the task of collecting court fines from people who don't pay them.

Unless you cut off your water you are accepting their service and the contract that goes with it. Same as if you went into a petrol station and filled up the car. Are you gonna drive off saying "no contract"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The anti-property tax crowd said the same thing about the property tax, yet there was 94% compliance. Also, there was no need to take people to court as they have ways and means of making you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

What makes you think Irish Water are a private company?

Afaik the revenue are being given the task of collecting court fines from people who don't pay them.

They will have to take thousands to court, and all with legal aid!
    The anti-property tax crowd said the same thing about the property tax, yet there was 94% compliance. Also, there was no need to take people to court as they have ways and means of making you pay.

they do have to take people to court, they cant by law touch your bank as this is a private company and not the government

No meter will be attaching to my property, that's my right and 1 I won't be allowing

What makes you think Irish Water are a private company?

they are a private company, just because the government have shares in it, does not change this.

Again this is on their own website!

They will have to take thousands to court, and all with legal aid!

Legal aid? What gives you that impression?

Legal aid? What gives you that impression?

because all will have that right, thats why

And to the people saying it's not private, it's private like bord gais was and they couldn't touch your wages

How is this on legal discussions when most don't even know what the simplest laws are!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Where did you see that? Last I saw was that the Revenue had no power to collect unpaid water charges fees.

Unless you cut off your water you are accepting their service and the contract that goes with it. Same as if you went into a petrol station and filled up the car. Are you gonna drive off saying "no contract"?

Also, to offer a contract you need to offer something, this is offering nothing we don't already have or have not paid for for years, All this infrastructure has been paid for by our tax money, Irish water will be gone in a year along with this water charge scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

they are a private company, just because the government have shares in it, does not change this.

Again this is on their own website!

Yep, there it is, clear as... oh, wait...

"The Government have explicitly stated that Irish Water will remain within public ownership.

There is absolutely no intention to privatise water services. The investment in the water sector is key to our country's strategic interests and legislation will restate the existing prohibition on the privatisation of water assets.

The sale of Bord Gáis Energy will have no impact on the public ownership of Irish Water."

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-is-bord-gais-involvement-in-irish-water/?category=general-information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

How is this on legal discussions when most don't even know what the simplest laws are!

You said it.

Advertisement