Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback Thread

• 02-06-2014 3:05pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been meaning to do this for some time and now is as good a time as any. I believe this forum belong to the members and we should collectively decide it's direction, as long as its within the overall Boards.ie rules. And on this I've seen more trouble, reported posts, bickering and abuse in the last couple of months than in the previous many years combined. Getting pretty sick of it tbh. It needs to stop. I've always preferred a very light touch but this is no longer possible.

I've been on this forum for a long time and generally found it a nice place full of like minded bikers eager to chat and help eachother out - and I have met many of you on the odd spin. I would very much like this to continue to grow. I'd love to end all the BS and just get back to good proper decent discussion about biking and related activities. I'd potentially like to organise the stickys and some of the more useful threads to create a catalogue of what's important to know - and also let these threads continue. The chat/banter thread is good fun too - but I'd encourage anyone to start threads to get everyone chatting, to learn a thing or two, and get to know eachother better - online and offline.

Anyway, I want to hear what you think - but be warned - any bitching/blaming/abuse etc will be dealt with firmly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good stuff Zascar, badly needed and seems to work very well in other sections on boards.ie. so I see it as a very positive step towards a better motorbike section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think the forum is pretty fun and relaxed, I like the light touch moderation too and its something I prefer over on the Martial Arts forum ~ you wouldn't believe the amount of fighting we do there :D (yes thats a joke :p ).

I like that we can chat about facebook, car's & vans etc here without the repercussions on the forums members the likes of which biker.ie has.

You're always going to get bickering in any discussion, its not something I'd stress over.

Over all its a very well run forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

[QUOTE=Zascar

Anyway, I want to hear what you think - but be warned - any bitching/blaming/abuse etc will be dealt with firmly.[/QUOTE]

Smacks a bit of looking for an "atta boy" or else. :D

At least it has'nt turned into a timing belt question forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I have noticed the change in the modding style on the threads and have to say its a step in the right direction and much better than it was previously. It seems to be working much better! I haven't been too active the past few weeks due to reasons out of my control but I do want to contribute more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with the others, it's modded well at the moment, keep up the good work Zascar. I don't use the stickies, but possibly cleaned up and updated. I think chat should be cut out of stickies too, obviously the Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!**** thread is an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I agree with above aswell

I find this forum very good compared to others and more importantly have met and became good friends with a good few people on here by heading out on the Sunday Spins etc.

I also would like to acknowledge the behind the scenes work of the Cmods who implemented changes recently that would not have been easy for them, but listened to the users and I believe the changes made will improve the overall atmosphere of the forum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Smacks a bit of looking for an "atta boy" or else. :D

At least it has'nt turned into a timing belt question forum.

Absolutely not looking for a pat on the back at all - the reason for teis thread is that I've been getting it in the neck lately. It's more an opportunity for you to raise concerns - as long as it's done diplomatically as often these threads can descend into chaos.

My feedback is that often when small forums have a core group of users that get to know eachother better - the craic starts as do the slaggings. Occasionally people go overboard and that has to stop, but mostly it's meant as harmless fun but some take them a little bit to seriously. You need a thick skin on motorbike forums in general from my experience. But I want people to think twice people posting - will this offend people?

The last thing I want to do is be a total Nazi mod throwing out bannings left right and centre. It's never a good thing. I'd rather everyone try to behave like adults. It's an internet forum after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I agree that sometimes the slagging can go a bit over the top, however this is generally only directed at the core group of posters who know each other well and are all ok to take the bit of banter.

New posters the forum are always welcomed and not slagged off( too much).

I think this needs to be looked at when it all " kicks off " and if its just the usual suspects throwing digs back and forth for the fun of it they should be allowed carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

There are alot of very well informed people here, that try to help and answer all questions asked. that and the random and just plain weird posts makes it one of my few daily reads (I very seldom post).
    that's where the value is in this forum.
    there is part of the core group of members here who know each other well (through either on-line only, or on-line and through meeting up), and will find it hard to lay of the slagging of their mates, and i don't think there is anything wrong with that, to a new poster it might look harsh, but to the regulars it is one of the reason you come back each day.
    I am sure Zascar will have to monitor how far that goes, and I am sure it will go too far every now and then, just a quick reminder would work better than a ban and i 100% agree with your quote "I'd rather everyone try to behave like adults"

Long may the regulars post, and as long as they do i will be back lurking about the forum each day.

Lost

• Advertisement

lostboy75 wrote: »
    There are alot of very well informed people here, that try to help and answer all questions asked. that and the random and just plain weird posts makes it one of my few daily reads (I very seldom post).
    that's where the value is in this forum.
    there is part of the core group of members here who know each other well (through either on-line only, or on-line and through meeting up), and will find it hard to lay of the slagging of their mates, and i don't think there is anything wrong with that, to a new poster it might look harsh, but to the regulars it is one of the reason you come back each day.
    I am sure Zascar will have to monitor how far that goes, and I am sure it will go too far every now and then, just a quick reminder would work better than a ban and i 100% agree with your quote "I'd rather everyone try to behave like adults"

Long may the regulars post, and as long as they do i will be back lurking about the forum each day.

Lost

Very well put mate, people do take themselves very seriously on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Very useful forum, lightly moderated which is good thing. Less Harley bashing be great but then again some deserve it.... cue tractor joke in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......

I'd change nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Very well put mate, people do take themselves very seriously on here.

With all the witty banter theres always a risk of it turning into biker.ie..:eek:....if your not in the "click" you'll end up at the wrong end of verbal bullying......
    Sometimes i've seen a bit of it sneaking its ugly head in here..

A newbie might be put off asking a "stupid" question.....;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Witty banter is a good thing - but it has to have it's limits. Boards has much more strict rules than other sites. Some need to reel in their slagging and keep it more friendly.. However also some are a lot more sensitive and do not take some jokes as jokes - I'd encourage people to lighten up a bit - it's an internet forum after all :)

Over the last while we've seen a lot of really great threads where someone asks an interesting question and they get dozens of really excellent helpful and friendly replies - I'd like to see more of that. I'd like to work on the stickys etc and have one main one pointing to a lot of the useful threads for reference and to keep the conversation going..

Also one more thing - some people talk about this "Clique" - I really don't think this exists as described. It's natural for any forum that the regular posters get to know eachother and have more banter between eachother - simply because they get involved more than others - but there is no barrier to anyone for getting involved. However if you look back you'll see that some new users have come in from nowhere and immediately joined in on the fun and banter with the all the rest of the lads.

Now I really hate to be the typical schoolteacher Mod, but.... Stop being a bunch of girls and everyone go outside and play nice! :pac:

Zascar wrote: »
    Witty banter is a good thing - but it has to have it's limits. Boards has much more strict rules than other sites. Some need to reel in their slagging and keep it more friendly.. However also some are a lot more sensitive and do not take some jokes as jokes - I'd encourage people to lighten up a bit - it's an internet forum after all :)

Over the last while we've seen a lot of really great threads where someone asks an interesting question and they get dozens of really excellent helpful and friendly replies - I'd like to see more of that. I'd like to work on the stickys etc and have one main one pointing to a lot of the useful threads for reference and to keep the conversation going..

The thing with a forum in general is you cant see the persons personality behind the posts (maybe we should all get webcams) Therefore it is very easy to mistake a genuine piss take/joke/banter/slagging as a direct insult or the like which is very rarely the case.....I myself had this exact incident the other day where I was warned for my post as it was taken the wrong way by OP. I genuinely meant it as a general piss take where no harm was meant the to actual poster but alas it went over his head. :( My bad!

For example I know if I start a thread you can bet your bottom dollar that within an hour of it going up there is gonna be a ribbing and a piss take by at least 5-6 certain individuals on here, that I myself rib the piss out of at the very 1st oppurtunity :D its what makes forums fun in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Look, no one wants a crack down on a bit of slagging, messing about etc. It's only natural that friendships will form when you meet up with each other in real life and that sort of behaviour will trickle into posts on the forum.

It's the stuff that goes beyond that which causes the trouble. We all know what happened over the last few months. The whole thing was an unfortunate situation where no-one came out on the winning side. However, rather than moving on, there have been a few comments over the past few weeks which served no other purpose than to reignite a flame that was very hard to put out. Baiting, trolling, sly digs... whatever your interpretation of it is, it's just completely unnecessary. And while a bit of slagging between friends is okay, when that slagging is directed at people outside of that circle of friends, knowing it'll annoy them, it starts to become bullying.

What's done is done. The situation was unpleasant for all concerned, but it's been sorted. Let it die. You all seem to enjoy the light-touch to modding, and that's great. A forum which needs little modding is exactly what everyone wants. But the veiled digs or pot-shots or baiting, the things which go beyond slagging a friend, needs to stop. It's poking a sleeping bear / pouring fuel on the fire / re-opening old wounds etc.

And consider this: I don't own a motorbike, so if the fighting stops, you'll never have to see me around these parts again. Surely that's enough incentive? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Penn wrote: »
    Look, no one wants a crack down on a bit of slagging, messing about etc. It's only natural that friendships will form when you meet up with each other in real life and that sort of behaviour will trickle into posts on the forum.

It's the stuff that goes beyond that which causes the trouble. We all know what happened over the last few months. The whole thing was an unfortunate situation where no-one came out on the winning side. However, rather than moving on, there have been a few comments over the past few weeks which served no other purpose than to reignite a flame that was very hard to put out. Baiting, trolling, sly digs... whatever your interpretation of it is, it's just completely unnecessary. And while a bit of slagging between friends is okay, when that slagging is directed at people outside of that circle of friends, knowing it'll annoy them, it starts to become bullying.

What's done is done. The situation was unpleasant for all concerned, but it's been sorted. Let it die. You all seem to enjoy the light-touch to modding, and that's great. A forum which needs little modding is exactly what everyone wants. But the veiled digs or pot-shots or baiting, the things which go beyond slagging a friend, needs to stop. It's poking a sleeping bear / pouring fuel on the fire / re-opening old wounds etc.

And consider this: I don't own a motorbike, so if the fighting stops, you'll never have to see me around these parts again. Surely that's enough incentive? :D

mmmm...i sensing a conspiricy theory....btw, no man on the moon and 9/11 never happened....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Absolutely not looking for a pat on the back at all - the reason for teis thread is that I've been getting it in the neck lately..

I'm fairly handy with my fists, pm me if you need someone sorted. :D
    Penn?

I need to raise this Clique thing again. I would like to hear from other posters - either here or via pm - about if you think there is a problem on this forum with a Clique between certain members. Also we've discussed the joking/slagging thing already, but please message me if you think that there is an issue with bullying' on the forum. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I need to raise this Clique thing again. I would like to hear from other posters - either here or via pm - about if you think there is a problem on this forum with a Clique between certain members.

Clique -There are few definitions of this, for the sake of clarity lets try to apply some of them to this forum, albeit they pretty much mean the same thing.

Oxford Dictionary -
    A small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them!
    If this is the definition we are applying in this instance, I strongly disagree. I have yet to see a post/thread where someone was told that they are not welcome to join in on a spin or a discussion. Yes there has been posts on specially the Sunday Spin thread warning riders who could be of risk/danger to others, due to their need for speed/stunt to take it down a notch on a spin, and these were general remarks only to make newbies feel welcome and safe and not directed at anyone in particular- I think this is reasonable and I see no harm in it, after all we all look out for each other and the last thing we want is a good day to end badly due to a pilot being irresponsible or inconsiderate. Saying that mistakes happen and that's all they are, mistakes. If you make one you live with the consequences of being slagged but its all a part of the fun.

I also see no harm in putting up a spin thread for experienced riders to go out and have blast without worrying about the guy that did not show in their mirror after the last bend, only to find out they are just not as experienced as they and takes them a little longer to get around a bend. There is also the safety aspect of it as well, trying to keep up with more experienced riders on a fast paste beyond your skill level on the road is just asking for trouble.

The Free Dictionary -
    A small exclusive group of friends or associates
    If you are a biker you are already a member of an exclusive group, which is very small in Ireland...:P

Joking aside I can see how this one may be applicable simply because certain members, including myself, meet up regularly for spins etc. However, I guarantee that almost every meet up there is someone new and they always come back for more at some stage. We learn from each other, gain experience and make new friends. Some members can't be at every single spin or can't post in every single thread. Some members post regularly and banter with certain members often, so what? This doesn't automatically make it a "small" exclusive group, I haven't seen a post where someone was told to but out of the thread etc.

I have to add that sometimes personalities clash and this can't be avoided and if it does happen...well tough luck deal with it like an adult.

an exclusive circle of people with a common purpose
    Well the above describes every single biker on this forum our bikes and our desire to ride them being the common purpose. And from all the bikers I know and have had the pleasure of meeting or exchanged banter on or off the forum, I have yet to meet one that does not fall in to the above definition.
    Also we've discussed the joking/slagging thing already, but please message me if you think that there is an issue with bullying' on the forum. Thanks.
    I haven't seen any signs of bullying, however, you do need to have thick skin when dealing with some members....you know who you are :pac::pac::pac::D.

I find this forum much more civilised and welcoming than a lot of the other forums I am a member of. I like it here and I know for a fact that a lot of other members also feel the same way. I know I wont be chastised for asking a stupid questions (sure there might be a bit of a slagging, it would be very boring otherwise) and I also know if I am stuck someone will offer a helping hand. LookBehindYou is a perfect example of this, offering that chap free lessons following his horrible ordeal with an inadequate and dangerous instructor after his accident during the IBT. I doubt it you would get that level of comradery in any other community.

Saying all that, I might have missed a post which invalidates everything I have just posted and I can blame the half a bottle of Jameson I consumed this evening pacman.gif. In which case, stop yer moaning and get on yer bikes! We can have a Gentleman's Fistycuffs at the meet up! :p

FFS- After typing all that I jsut realised you said "other posters" well fck it youre getting this one too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Clique -There are few definitions of this, for the sake of clarity lets try to apply some of them to this forum, albeit they pretty much mean the same thing.

Oxford Dictionary - If this is the definition we are applying in this instance, I strongly disagree. I have yet to see a post/thread where someone was told that they are not welcome to join in on a spin or a discussion. Yes there has been posts on specially the Sunday Spin thread warning riders who could be of risk/danger to others, due to their need for speed/stunt to take it down a notch on a spin, and these were general remarks only to make newbies feel welcome and safe and not directed at anyone in particular- I think this is reasonable and I see no harm in it, after all we all look out for each other and the last thing we want is a good day to end badly due to a pilot being irresponsible or inconsiderate. Saying that mistakes happen and that's all they are, mistakes. If you make one you live with the consequences of being slagged but its all a part of the fun.

I also see no harm in putting up a spin thread for experienced riders to go out and have blast without worrying about the guy that did not show in their mirror after the last bend, only to find out they are just not as experienced as they and takes them a little longer to get around a bend. There is also the safety aspect of it as well, trying to keep up with more experienced riders on a fast paste beyond your skill level on the road is just asking for trouble.

The Free Dictionary - If you are a biker you are already a member of an exclusive group, which is very small in Ireland...:P

Joking aside I can see how this one may be applicable simply because certain members, including myself, meet up regularly for spins etc. However, I guarantee that almost every meet up there is someone new and they always come back for more at some stage. We learn from each other, gain experience and make new friends. Some members can't be at every single spin or can't post in every single thread. Some members post regularly and banter with certain members often, so what? This doesn't automatically make it a "small" exclusive group, I haven't seen a post where someone was told to but out of the thread etc.

I have to add that sometimes personalities clash and this can't be avoided and if it does happen...well tough luck deal with it like an adult.

Well the above describes every single biker on this forum our bikes and our desire to ride them being the common purpose. And from all the bikers I know and have had the pleasure of meeting or exchanged banter on or off the forum, I have yet to meet one that does not fall in to the above definition.

I haven't seen any signs of bullying, however, you do need to have thick skin when dealing with some members....you know who you are :pac::pac::pac::D.

I find this forum much more civilised and welcoming than a lot of the other forums I am a member of. I like it here and I know for a fact that a lot of other members also feel the same way. I know I wont be chastised for asking a stupid questions (sure there might be a bit of a slagging, it would be very boring otherwise) and I also know if I am stuck someone will offer a helping hand. LookBehindYou is a perfect example of this, offering that chap free lessons following his horrible ordeal with an inadequate and dangerous instructor after his accident during the IBT. I doubt it you would get that level of comradery in any other community.

Saying all that, I might have missed a post which invalidates everything I have just posted and I can blame the half a bottle of Jameson I consumed this evening pacman.gif. In which case, stop yer moaning and get on yer bikes! We can have a Gentleman's Fistycuffs at the meet up! :p

FFS- After typing all that I jsut realised you said "other posters" well fck it youre getting this one too!

6264BEED00F04E06804E460696873551-0000373256-0003580355-00550L-C775F7A44BBE43E394641D2336AB1DCC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure there is a situation on the forum where a few members know each other better than others. That exists everywhere once friendships form.

But let it never be said that anyone here doesnt welcome new people to come out with us all. As was recently said on the forum and multiple times i nthe past. The best thing about the spins we all go out on is nobody ever being left behind. That includes absolutely everyone on the spin even if its our first time meeting them.

New people are never intentionally not welcomed into this forum from what i see. Some people just might not fit in with a crowd but thats not the crowds fault, its just the way life is.

If it was a case of no new people ever fit into a crowd then perhaps its the crowds fault and they dont want me people around but that it absolutely not the case around here and never has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Zascar, I've always found this a very friendly forum, we give and take advice, which is in the spirit of the boards ethic, a community. On occasion I've thought some people might have been out of order, but I've seen you step in and have no problem with that, (chap was looking for advice on a slapping chain or some such, and a few guys berated him for not being able to do it himself)
    To conclude, there's not a lot wrong with this forum, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

I started riding last year and after looking for a forum about bike and stuff I started reading this one. I decided that was where I would ask my newbie question... taking the risk to sound stupid.

All the feedback and replies were very nice and I have kept reading the forum daily. I don't post much though but that's my way of using the internet.

Anyway, as a newbie it felt very easy to interact with people on the forum and even contacted one or two of the "core members" for the sunday spin who replied very positively, unfortunately my fault never managed to make it.. yet.

Thanks for this lads & lassies. So I had a few pm's but really nothing bad at all - just some opinions and comments - and please keep them coming. As mentioned already a few of the lads take the piss to a degree others are not comfortable with - and we'll deal with this better going forward. I've made modding mistakes myself at times - a couple of posts recently I have read, brushed over and chuckled, yet someone will take huge offence even know I know the OP meant none whatsoever and was just having a laugh - but I can understand why it may not have seen that way. Maybe I do need to become the schoolteacher and get you to both shake hands and apologise. We'll watch this more closely. For example Goodlad's post above - the picture saying "GAAAAYYYY" - this made me crack up laughing but I think some may see this as the clique. I Assume Goodlad knows blu3r0ri0n and really he's making light of the situation but I'd highly doubt he's mocking his views. Boys and girls - 'This Is the Internet' - you need to get used to it.

I've met a good few of you form the "Wicklow Rideout" thread/spins, but just an FYI, I've never been on a "Sunday Spin" and have never met most of the regular posters from there - so if they have a Clique - I'm not in it. I do agree though as mentioned above that they do not exclude anyone. Although it may seem a big daunting to some because of how familiar many of them are with eachother, but if you don't want to feel excluded - then join in on the fun! Start posting more, pose questions, comments and get in on the fun. If you want to join a spin - throw a post or send a pm and like anyone on this site they will be delighted to have you along I have no doubt.

Nerrad suggested a meet in another thread, this is a great idea and lets make it a success. I'm also going to start an "Introduce Yourself" thread - we did this on another forum I modded and its great for getting know the person behind the username. I'm basically useless with Names/Usernames and forget sometimes who I have actually met or who's what poster.

Anyway, I'm going to let this thread run for a little long and then I'm going to lock it - but I'm going to link to is in a new "Sticky of Stickys" thread I have planned to keep the useful threads. It will be a useful reference. The main point is I want everyone to learn from this and move on. I want all regular posters to forget recent and past events - and lets move on.

I genuinely think that it's a great place and after this little discussion we are in a better place to grow further and faster into building this forum into a great resource and a fantastic community of like minded Bikers.

Cheers, Colly.

goodlad wrote: »
    6264BEED00F04E06804E460696873551-0000373256-0003580355-00550L-C775F7A44BBE43E394641D2336AB1DCC.jpg

I deserved that! :o

No more drink posting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I had noticed a bit of a clique alright, and was getting worse as time went by. Starting really getting to me, but turns out it was just a seized link, and a bit of oil and pair of pliers sorted it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Wossack wrote: »
    I had noticed a bit of a clique alright, and was getting worse as time went by. Starting really getting to me, but turns out it was just a seized link, and a bit of oil and pair of pliers sorted it out

Skinflint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

I agree with blu3r0ri0n drunken post ;-)
    I did imply I was talking about a (how do you spell it) clique, but in no way did I mean it in a bad way.
    I think you actually need that to keep regulars coming back. there are some very experienced bikers here, been riding for years, and do all their own servicing etc. in reality they will learn almost nothing here that they don't already know. so why do they come back? well it has to be the bit of craic and to be helpful to others. I would be fairly sure that if there was no craic and no banter they would not check this as frequently as they do, and who suffers as a result? us (well me anyway) less experienced readers.
    keep up the good work all, i will keep reading it.
    I may never meet any of you (my location), but would have no fear about meeting you.

Lost

Advertisement