Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Reel Recommendation

Options
  • 02-06-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Planning ahead for a summer of mackerel and bass fishing. Looking to upgrade my kit.

The rod I'm going for is the Agility Bass (previously known as Salt Bass) http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/shakespeare-agility-bass-11ft-6-inch-2-4oz-rod/1400748943.prd .

I think this is a happy medium for both types of fishing I will be doing, which will be from either beach with spinners or off rocks/pier with feathers. l looked at the 4-8oz also but I think that this is a tad too heavy.

I would very much appreciate if you could recommend a reel that would be suitable for the rod and both types of fishing. I understand that it needs to retrive in quick enough to prevent snagging on rocks.........

Budget would be 50e +/- 10 say.

Many thanks,

William

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

I have 2 Abu Garcia cardinals of different sizes a couple of years. I think they are bomb proof and well worth a look. They also make an agility 70 fixed spool to match the rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Its not easy to reccommend a reel suitable to what you want, in the size you need for that budget. Fishing for macks with feathers puts huge strain on reels, especially if you have a full house of macks over and over and are hauling them up any height.
    the price for the rod looks decent but your best bet is to shop around in tackle shops if possible and ask for a deal on a rod and reel. You might get lucky.
    Another option would be a 2nd hand shimano in 6000 size. You could get a good one for €50 and it would be a better buy than a new reel about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Thanks flounder and red for the replies. Would all Shimano 6000's be the same? Or would a specific model be better for my type of fishing? Likewise for the Abu Garcia?

Am I right in saying that a 6000 as opposed to 4000 would allow one to retrieve the line quicker (and easier)?

Thanks.

william wrote: »
    Thanks flounder and red for the replies. Would all Shimano 6000's be the same? Or would a specific model be better for my type of fishing? Likewise for the Abu Garcia?

Am I right in saying that a 6000 as opposed to 4000 would allow one to retrieve the line quicker (and easier)?

Thanks.

It's the gear ratio that will affect the retrieve. The higher the gear ratio the faster the retrieve.
    I don't use shimano myself so someone else might have better info on there reels

Generally, but not always, shimano spinning reels go from 1000 to 4000 size. Beach reels start at about 6000 and go to 14000. Theres a huge difference in size between a 4000 and 6000 tho. I wouldnt use a spinning reel for belting out feathers as it wont last. I bought a 2nd hand shimano navi 7000 as a spare for €50. Something like that would be ideal, a little big maybe for the rod but it will take the abuse that mackie bashing with feathers puts on it.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for this. I have something to go with now, hopefully I will find a good second hand one as you suggest.

This is what I went for in the end. Agility bass rod 11ft 6 ( 2 to 4 oz) together with abu g cardinal 57 lc reel loaded with 20lb line. Total cost was 125 euro.

Thanks for advice.

Good luck with your new set up

This is what I went for in the end. Agility bass rod 11ft 6 ( 2 to 4 oz) together with abu g cardinal 57 lc reel loaded with 20lb line. Total cost was 125 euro.

Thanks for advice.

Well wear with it lad. Does it have 1 or 2 spools? If it has 2 get some lighter line for the spare and use it for casting your lighter spinners. They will cast further for ya. Better again is braid but its expensive.
    Its good practice to use a shock leader too when casting feathers. No major need if its 20lb line but 30lb amnesia is about €5 and will last a long long time and will be easier on your finger for repeated casting. Safer too.

Thanks for advice.

Well wear with it lad. Does it have 1 or 2 spools? If it has 2 get some lighter line for the spare and use it for casting your lighter spinners. They will cast further for ya. Better again is braid but its expensive.
    Its good practice to use a shock leader too when casting feathers. No major need if its 20lb line but 30lb amnesia is about €5 and will last a long long time and will be easier on your finger for repeated casting. Safer too.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. 1 spool. Will use the shockleader alright for my finger and everyone's safety. Looking forward to testing it now.

Advertisement