Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large electronic shops - Where in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-06-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I just moved to Dublin and I cannot find the large electronic shops I normally find in big cities: Mediaworld, Mediamarkt, FNAC, Trony. Shops where you can buy PC, Monitors, Tablets and the choice is very large. Could you suggest some name, possibly near the city center?

I heard Argos is quite common here, but I was wondering if there were physical shops with a large choice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There are not many in the city centre anymore (if any) the only one I cant think of is Maplin over near Cineworld, off henry street...

What you are looking for is the likes of Currys, PC World and Harvey Normans... but you will only find them outside of the city centre really.. The general high cost in Ireland makes most frugal people buy online - so there is not as much demand as there would be elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

There's a Currys/PC World in the Jervis Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DID Electric are a chain of electronic shops. They have a branch in Clearys on O'Connell St. It is not as big as some of the suburban branches, but it is decent enough. Arnotts on Henry St have an electrical department too. There is a Currys/PC world in the Jervis Centre, also on Henry St. There is an Argos in the Jevis Centre too. If you want a shops with larger selections, you'll probably have to head out to the suburbs, as the shops there have more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

There is also PowerCity but their shops are all in the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ProudDUB wrote: »
    DID Electric are a chain of electronic shops. They have a branch in Clearys on O'Connell St. It is not as big as some of the suburban branches, but it is decent enough. Arnotts on Henry St have an electrical department too. There is a Currys/PC world in the Jervis Centre, also on Henry St. There is an Argos in the Jevis Centre too. If you want a shops with larger selections, you'll probably have to head out to the suburbs, as the shops there have more space.

Is there a Currys/PC World on Henry St?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope. It is inside the Jervis Centre, which is on Henry St.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There used to be a DID in Clerys on O'Connell street too, not sure if it's still there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

stevenmu wrote: »
    There used to be a DID in Clerys on O'Connell street too, not sure if it's still there though?

No. It was gone when Clery's re-opened after the flooding.

There is a DID at the top of Mountjoy Square/Gardiner Street.

http://www.did.ie/stores/mountjoy-square

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

There are none of the size like the shops you mention unfortunately. The largest would be Currys for electric goods but still a dwarf compared to any Mediamarkt and the larger ones are all outside the city centre. If you look for something like a Fnac, sorry but there is nothing that comes even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wish there was a Fnac in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

There are no real pc shops in dublin anymore. even pc world dont really cater for pc's. mostly just laptops, tablets and a few old pc bits in the corner.
    If you want pc components, then you really need to shop online

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I like maplins for computer parts (maybe a bit pricey compared with online) if you are building your own PC.
    I do think many retailers for space and market share ignore PCs now so online is the option. Last PC i bought was from an retailer in an industrial estate in ballycoolin whose name escapes me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most people prefer to buy electronic goods online. I have bought everytime from coffee machines to laptops for a significant discount to store prices

Advertisement