Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making printer wireless

Options
  • 02-06-2014 6:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an HP laser printer that has an inbuilt ethernet port and usb connection. Is there a simple way to make it wireless?

I know I can use a print server but I would like a simple solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Which one ? 2055dn etc ?

Run a cable from the built in ethernet socket on the printer to your internet router

Then go through the printer set up - it will ask do you want to set up a network printer or one connected by usb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes a HP P2055DN.

I want the printer remote from the router and I want it to work with a laptop and an Apple ipad.

I probably will have to locate it near the router but that is not a good solution.

I see Dlink do a nice wireless printserver but it is nearly €100 which is too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You only need a print server if you want to connect it via USB, connecting it via Ethernet will use print server functionality in the printer itself.

You could go with powerline adapters (aka homeplugs) or else you can get devices called Wireless Ethernet bridges that make hard-wired Ethernet ports wireless. Some devices sold as 'pocket' AP's/routers also have this function, such as this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401803696&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+ethernet+bridge ASUS do one as well IIRC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What do you think of this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=pd_cp_computers_1#productDetails

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration)

I have a spare D-Link DI-524 wireless router which is spare. Could I use this to provide an access point?

• Advertisement

That TP-Link device should work OK.

But yes, if you have an old router handy that supports DD-WRT (your DI-524 isn't one of those though, unfortunately) you could install DD-WRT on it and set it up in 'client bridge mode'.

Alun wrote: »
    That TP-Link device should work OK.

But yes, if you have an old router handy that supports DD-WRT (your DI-524 isn't one of those though, unfortunately) you could install DD-WRT on it and set it up in 'client bridge mode'.

The good news is that I have quite a few of them. I have two Vodafone ADSL modems - HG556a and also a Netgear Super AG WGU624.

I have a 45 foot long black ethernet cable if you want it FOC - pm me an address i'll send it tomorrow

Thanks for the offer, but I cannot run a cable of any sort.

I think I have fount the product I need, a D_Link DWL-810 wireless bridge. It appears to be exactly what I need.
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-810-Ethernet-Wireless-802-11b/dp/B000088NO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Unfortunately, unavailable.

I think I have fount the product I need, a D_Link DWL-810 wireless bridge. It appears to be exactly what I need.
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-810-Ethernet-Wireless-802-11b/dp/B000088NO6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Unfortunately, unavailable.
    Because it's an ancient old crock of a thing that only does 802.11b ...I'm surprised it even still appears on Amazon's website TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

We've used these in the past with some success.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WPS510U

It's the size of a pack of cigs and comes with a short USB cable to connect it. I know it's a Print Server but it's very small and a cinch to set up.

Open Logic (AKA Computer City) in Ballybrack have them for 37 + VAT.

Ken

That looks very interesting. Bit pricey but not for a print server I suppose.

I have placed the printer next to the router so I'll see how that goes for the moment. Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement