Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how safwe and ligal is it

• 02-06-2014 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

We are No. 12 and No. 10 have a full grown Alsatian in their back garden. It barks very loud and any time a cat or bird passes it barks even louder.

Between no. 9 and no. 11 there is 4 foot wire mesh (see pic) separating the houses. I am concerned if the dog turned it could easily jump the fence.

No. 10 are polish i think and only moved in a couple of months ago and i haven't talked to them but if i did i know what the answer would be.

is it illegal to have a fully grown animal in a child area? what's the low down on this??

dqsxmf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It's not illegal to have a fully grown pet but there's legislation on certain breeds in built up areas.. I don't know how it works in private owned houses but council houses there are many breeds you can't have..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It's perfectly legal to have a dog in your own private house and garden where there are kids.
    What exactly is your issue with the dog?

Why do you think the dog will "turn" as you say? Dogs don't just turn. Seems like you have an issue just because of it's breed.
    What would your answer be and why is it any of your business what dog they have in their own private home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe its just me but if I was worried about dogs getting into my garden I'd put my own fence around my own garden.

I can empathize over barking dogs and kids but my two don't hear them anymore ones nearly 14 months the other near 2 months.. As I say private is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

It's not illegal to have a fully grown pet but there's legislation on certain breeds in built up areas.. I don't know how it works in private owned houses but council houses there are many breeds you can't have..

Its a private rented home, what rule apply here? any websites?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Its a private rented home, what rule apply here? any websites?

No rules apply apart from the dogs must be under the effectual control of their owners at all times, the the German Shepherd must be on a lead and muzzled in public, i.e. outside their home/garden

There are no rules. They can do what they like in their own home.

What is your problem??

andreac wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal to have a dog in your own private house and garden where there are kids.
    What exactly is your issue with the dog?

Why do you think the dog will "turn" as you say? Dogs don't just turn. Seems like you have an issue just because of it's breed.
    What would your answer be and why is it any of your business what dog they have in their own private home?

Dogs have been known to attack out of the blue, but as there is no protection between one garden and the other child safety is a prime concern. Also the barking is becoming an issue.

Maybe its just me but if I was worried about dogs getting into my garden I'd put my own fence around my own garden.

While safety is a prime concern and believe me it is, and im not trying to take your comment away from you money is also an issue. We live in rented accommodation and may not be here in January but then we may we just dont know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dogs have been known to attack out of the blue, but as there is no protection between one garden and the other child safety is a prime concern. Also the barking is becoming an issue.

Is this your garden you are talking about?

For noise you can make a complaint to the council, but they will first want to know you have approached your neighbour to try to resolve it

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

• Advertisement

Ah here, would you go away out of that. Talk about ignorance about dogs.

The dog has done nothing wrong and neither has their owner so I suggest you mind your own business and leave them to enjoy their lovely dog.

Would hate to be living next door to someone like you if you are going to be so narrow minded about dogs and breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Dogs have been known to attack out of the blue, no, they haven't, stop reading the Daily Mail but as there is no protection between one garden and the other child safety is a prime concern why do you think the dog is a threat to children? Also the barking is becoming an issue. this would do my head in though, I'm sure there's some noise control by-laws or something you could maybe look up (I've never had this problem thankfully so don't know the procedure)

If the barking is an issue go and talk to your neighbour about your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dogs have been known to attack out of the blue.

So have people, are there people living in this house as well? :eek:

There are no rules. They can do what they like in their own home.

What is your problem??

1. constant barking
    2. Is it safe?

So now it's constant barking? Talk to your neighbour. They might not be aware it's an issue for them to address unless you inform them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP if you think there's a genuine chance that your kids could come into contact with any dog in your back garden you shouldn't let them out there unsupervised.

Ah here, would you go away out of that. Talk about ignorance about dogs.

The dog has done nothing wrong and neither has their owner so I suggest you mind your own business and leave them to enjoy their lovely dog.

Would hate to be living next door to someone like you if you are going to be so narrow minded about dogs and breeds.

I'm not narrow minded. I was in fact attacked by a dog. I was just minding my own business and get bit me on the calf. so No i am not narrow minded about dogs.

But this dog has done nothing wrong to concern you so I'm not sure why you are making such an issue out of nothing.

The dog is not even next door to you, it's 2 doors down from you. The barking issue is something that can be dealt with if you talk to the neighbour.

Tranceypoo wrote: »

I was bitten by a dog a few years ago. It was out of the blue. it was unprovoked. I have had dogs of my own. My last dog was beagle and after 4 mont old he bit my daughter. OUT OF THE BLUE SO concern for my children is not idiotic with prior experience.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    OP if you think there's a genuine chance that your kids could come into contact with any dog in your back garden you shouldn't let them out there unsupervised.

perhaps i could put bars the windows? lock the doors hell brink all windows and doors and even never ever go outside. keep them kids indoors on sunny days and what not

Dogs rarely bite out of the blue, it's just that humans don't recognise the signs when a dog is unhappy in the situation it's in. Dogs will nearly always give warning signs before they bite but again people don't see these and the dog usually has no other option than to snap if the warning signs are not heeded.

perhaps i could put bars the windows? lock the doors hell brink all windows and doors and even never ever go outside. keep them kids indoors on sunny days and what not

Yes perhaps you should as you obviously think this dog is out to get you and will turn any day...

To be fair OP just asked what he could do.. Everyone has fears especially when it comes to there kids this forum is for advice.. I've always had dogs but barking is annoying when it's constant..

The barking can be dealt with if he speaks with the neighbour.

But just because he has a fear of dogs should not projected on to others who have done no wrong. The dog bar barking has done nothing wrong and given no cause for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't see the need for the tone of that post. If you genuinely feel your children are in danger you should at minimum keep an eye on them. Common sense I would believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

IMO the washing line/rope at the back of your photo that's 4 feet high is of more immediate danger to your kids than a dog 2 doors down. Build a fence and knock in to the neighbours explaining that the barking is becoming a nuisance. You have to approach the neighbours as the first step in reporting the nuisance barking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was bitten by a dog a few years ago. It was out of the blue. it was unprovoked. I have had dogs of my own. My last dog was beagle and after 4 mont old he bit my daughter. OUT OF THE BLUE SO concern for my children is not idiotic with prior experience.

I was punched by a sham called anto once for no reason

I tend to distrust all anthonys, antos and tonys now. Seems the sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Bambi wrote: »
    I was punched by a sham called anto once for no reason

I tend to distrust all anthonys, antos and tonys now. Seems the sensible thing to do.

Add Andrzej to that list too. The OP's neighbours are polish:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Dogs do not bite "out of the blue". They give warning signals, firstly their body language will give subtle signs, such as ears flat to their head, lip licking, eye movement, tail held low or underneath them. Then they may growl or snarl and then if all their warnings fail and the humans have been ignoring everything that the dog has been trying to tell them - then they give a warning nip - a snap, that makes minimal contact but gets the message across to the human that they are uncomfortable and/or scared or distressed. The nip may bruise, or slightly break the skin and then they withdraw. They have not attacked, they have been very measured in how they nip, it's known as bite inhibition. Believe me if a dog wanted to attack and tear a child or an adult to shreds it could, be it a jack russell or a German Shepherd.

You have two issues here, one the barking. If it's constant, and causing a disturbance talk to the neighbours, if it's throughout the night then they may have a case to answer for noise pollution.

The other issue you have seems to be breed specific, you have an issue because you deem the breed in question to be dangerous. Would you be as concerned if it was a collie? Or a jack russell? Going on your posts so far, I doubt it. Sheps can be vocal, they are a guarding breed but it does not necessarily mean that the dogs will escape and attack somebody. Once its contained within it's garden there is nothing you can do, except ensure that your children don't antagonise or goad the dog into being more territorial than necessary. Children don't really know how to behave around dogs, and dogs tend to be easily antagonised by children, the way they run, shout etc.

I'm finding it hard to follow some of the information in your posts, are you next door? Is the wire fence between you and the house with the dog or is there another house in between? I don't know what relevance the new neighbours being Polish is to the whole situation? Any polish people I know have excellent English so do you imagine conversation to be a problem? Or is it something else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement