Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it a faulty sensor

Options
  • 02-06-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

I have completed a walk through test and I found a window which I could open without the alarm system beeping or identifying the circuit as being open.

When I opened the sensor the system recognised the "tampering" and started to beep.

I have got the loan of a multimeter to test for continuity but don't know how to test it. Can someone please tell me how to test the sensor to be sure the issue I have having it with the alarm is due to a faulty sensor or could I have a more serious problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

tedmundo wrote: »
    Hi All

I have completed a walk through test and I found a window which I could open without the alarm system beeping or identifying the circuit as being open.

When I opened the sensor the system recognised the "tampering" and started to beep.

I have got the loan of a multimeter to test for continuity but don't know how to test it. Can someone please tell me how to test the sensor to be sure the issue I have having it with the alarm is due to a faulty sensor or could I have a more serious problem.

If you disconnect the wires into the alarm side of the sensor itself does it show the zone open?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there a magnetic contact on the window ?
    There would be a magnet on the opening part of the window if there is. It may be the window is only protected by an inertia shock sensor.
    If you want to check the resistence correctly see post nine here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056655452

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedmundo

altor wrote: »
    If you disconnect the wires into the alarm side of the sensor itself does it show the zone open?

When I disconnected the wires it did appear as open but I had difficulty getting the zone to close after re connecting the wires

Yes there is a magnetic strip on the opening part of the window

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A pic of the sensor and wiring would help us diagnose this for you.

• Advertisement

When I disconnected the wires it did appear as open but I had difficulty getting the zone to close after re connecting the wires

If you join the wires together and the zone closes then it is the sensor itself that is faulty. Could be the reed on the device or the sensor head if there is one at this point. Checking both with a meter will determine what part needs to be replaced.

when I disconnect the sensor and join the wires the system recognises the zone as closed

Thanks

Sorry Koolkid I am unable to upload a photo possibly as I am new to boards.... but I am happy that I have identified the broken sensor so I will replace that and all should work okay

I appreciate your and altor replies in helping me to resolve this

Thank you both

when I disconnect the sensor and join the wires the system recognises the zone as closed

Thanks

If that is the case then replacing the sensor should solve the problem.
    If you have any other issues let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JudeK

Hi KoolKid I have a problem with a supertronic alarm. For the past 2 days when I've come home the alarm has been ringing internally, when I put in my code I'm getting uA3. The alarm also triggers when I turn on the bathroom light. I tried to disarm zone 3 by punching in *3* but it doesn't disarm this zone for me. Could this be a problem with the sensors in zone 3? It's an old alarm system and I don't have a manual. Thanks for any help in advance :-)

• Advertisement

Do youhave mean a sscopetronic alarm?
    Either way it sounds like a faulty sensor or contact on that zone. You will need to check the resistance on that zone to find out what ddevice needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JudeK

Sorry, yes it's a scopetronic, thanks for your advice KoolKid. Could you send me a copy of the manual also, it would be good to have it for reference.

PMed you that.

Advertisement