Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Probability problem

• 02-06-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

OK so our teacher gave us a question to do a few weeks ago and I never got the answer off him and it's annoying me now. I was wondering if anyone could help? It actually pretty relevant haha.

The question is:
    "Art is studying for his Leaving Certificate but has left his English study pile up. He wanst to know how risky it would be if he only studied 4 poets for the exam. If 4 poets come out of a total of 8 calculate the probability that none of the poets he studies come up."

Anyone know the correct answer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

It's 4/8 x 3/7 x 2/6 x 1/5 = 1/70

Think of reading your English paper from the top down. You read the first on the list and it's Mahon. Oops, I haven't studied him. That leaves 3 poets I haven't done and 4 I have done. Next one on the page is Plath. Oops, I haven't studied her. That leaves 2 poets I haven't studied and 4 I have etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

robman60 wrote: »
    It's 4/8 x 3/7 x 2/6 x 1/5 = 1/70

Think of reading your English paper from the top down. You read the first on the list and it's Mahon. Oops, I haven't studied him. That leaves 3 poets I haven't done and 4 I have done. Next one on the page is Plath. Oops, I haven't studied her. That leaves 2 poets I haven't studied and 4 I have etc. :)

Thanks so much. So then if it was 'What is the probability that at least 1 comes up' that would be a Bernoulli's trial, would it?
    Or would it just be 1 - 1/70 = 69/70?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Thanks so much. So then if it was 'What is the probability that at least 1 comes up' that would be a Bernoulli's trial, would it?
    Or would it just be 1 - 1/70 = 69/70?

Just 1- 1/70 = 69/70

Bernoulli trials applies when each event is independent, which isn't the case here.

Advertisement