Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG tips for the exam ?

• 02-06-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

for DCG is there any tips people have for the dcg exam. is there any areas likely to come up this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Be ready for any question that could come up. Use the methods you use in class and apply them to the question. Just because a question could be worded differently, or ask you to complete it in a different way, don't let that throw you. You can only be sure of the assemblies in section C. Apart from that it's hard to tell, interpenetration was something I predicted for last year, but it only appeared in a short question if I recall correctly, maybe this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cycling Insomniac

– Get some circle stencils for smaller radii.

– Scribe two lines on the underside of your 45 set-square, both 5mm apart. Make sure the lines are parallel to the side of the set-square. These can then be used to hatch really fast. I.e. Line up the previously drawn line with the line scribed on your set-square. Then draw another line on the page, then repeat.

– Have 2 or 3 sharp pencils so that you don't have to pare during the exam.
    Or, if your comfortable, use a mechanical pencil. It never has to be pared. Because it never blunts, all the lines look crisp and never fat and blurry.

– If you can get your hands on one, bring an adjustable set-square. They come in handy in the majority of questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

is it ok in the exam to us colour like for drawing around the true shape of an object.
    thanks for the tips, for the stencils what can i us them for and what would be a good size? and are you aloud to bring them things with you in to the exam if so could i bring small strips of paper for doing heights that need to be transferred ?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    is it ok in the exam to us colour like for drawing around the true shape of an object.
    thanks for the tips, for the stencils what can i us them for and what would be a good size? and are you aloud to bring them things with you in to the exam if so could i bring small strips of paper for doing heights that need to be transferred ?

Yes you can bring in colouring pencils, but don't waste your time colouring, go back and do it at the end if you have time. But, make sure you colour in the right shapes the right colour e.g. on the topic of solids in contact, make sure you know which shape is in front and colour that in fully (if you get me?). Stencils are very useful, because the smaller the circle, the harder it is to do accurately with a compass. The stencil comes as one unit and has roughly 25 different size circles built in, starting at I think 1mm radius. Regarding the small strips of paper, I wouldn't personally be bothered with it, you will be more accurate with your compass or set square, as paper can easily crumple therefore giving you a wrong measurement. Sometimes having a second compass can come in handy, for the likes of the link mechanism question.

Yes you can bring in colouring pencils, but don't waste your time colouring, go back and do it at the end if you have time. But, make sure you colour in the right shapes the right colour e.g. on the topic of solids in contact, make sure you know which shape is in front and colour that in fully (if you get me?). Stencils are very useful, because the smaller the circle, the harder it is to do accurately with a compass. The stencil comes as one unit and has roughly 25 different size circles built in, starting at I think 1mm radius. Regarding the small strips of paper, I wouldn't personally be bothered with it, you will be more accurate with your compass or set square, as paper can easily crumple therefore giving you a wrong measurement. Sometimes having a second compass can come in handy, for the likes of the link mechanism question.

thanks

could solids in contact come up as a long question seen it has not before or is it just a short question same for perspective ?

• Advertisement

Generally they have only come up as short questions. I wouldn't be thinking that they would appear as a long question, although you can't rule that out. If it comes to the worst, you should know how to do them from the short questions, then just apply the method to the long question. But, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Know your roads questions really well, one of the only certainties on the exam.

Don't get too caught up on small parts eg. Finding an auxiliary vs washing point in a perspective question, there are ways around it and you only lose like three marks.

Know your roads questions really well, one of the only certainties on the exam.

Don't get too caught up on small parts eg. Finding an auxiliary vs washing point in a perspective question, there are ways around it and you only lose like three marks.

ya for the roads question have done the HL SEC sample on its skew lines and i cant figure it out it does not give u an inclined angle for for one of them it just says vertical borehole ?

Advertisement