Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launching Website

Options
  • 02-06-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking to launch a website based on reporting on local sport in my area, the organisation already have a website for this although its poorly maintained.

I would like to know is it legal for me to just come in and start writing reports on an organisation that already exists? I won't be using there logos or name. But I will be using information given out to papers to update the website I launch. Can this be done without getting into any bother?

This is non-profit so I am not looking to make any money just want a website where the community can get up to date reports on our sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

It is still a free country, allegedly! You can safely use any information in the public domain or the results of your own research/opinions etc. o for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If it's in the public domain via press releases etc., you can use it
    Just be careful with copying media articles verbatim

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BeYourOwnBoss

There are no issues in you reporting on such matters. It's called competition. Provided you do not simply copy and paste articles word for word then you should be fine, otherwise you may be accused of copyright infringement. You can simply edit their articles by around 50%+ to make them unique to your website and so avoiding copyright infringement. I personally have a number of information websites which operate worldwide and I can tell you stolen content is a major problem not just for myself but almost every large website as it damages a websites google ranking and in doing so can cost online businesses thousands in lost revenue.

Since you are reporting on a local club like they are, if they decided to check out the competition i.e. your website, and find similar reporting to their website (which wouldn't be hard considering you both operate in such a small locality) then you could very well have problems.

Best of luck with it

Advertisement