Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel that everything I write in English is horrific?

Options
  • 02-06-2014 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

As you all know, the Junior cert begins on Wednesday, and I'm absolutely nervous for English. I got a B in the mocks, but still, i feel that I've gotten worse since then. When I write something, I think its terrible, is this common, do any of you feel like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

ECM1234 wrote: »
    As you all know, the Junior cert begins on Wednesday, and I'm absolutely nervous for English. I got a B in the mocks, but still, i feel that I've gotten worse since then. When I write something, I think its terrible, is this common, do any of you feel like this?

The fact that you received a B in the mocks proves that you're a good, capable student. I think you're just nervous. You're being too harsh on yourself and you think your writing has gotten worse, when it hasn't. Don't think it's terrible. You've got to trust yourself. Believe that you can and WILL do well in your Junior Cert. We all ---improve--- over time, remember that.

You will do great on Wednesday. Try your best and remember; examiners WANT to give you marks and will try their best to do so.

Best of luck!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's common enough to lose confidence between the mocks and the big JC :)
    You may be putting more pressure on yourself in the lead up to the exams.
    Just focus on writing short sentences - long, convoluted sentences are probably the surest route to loss of focus (and therefore, loss of marks).
    Wishing you the best of luck - a B is an excellent result, and it's unusual for Junior Cert students to achieve a lower grade in the 'real thing' than in the mock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Thanks, I guess i am just proverbially "bricking" it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks, I guess i am just proverbially "bricking" it!

Keep your cool, you'll be grand!
    If you want to practice your writing skills, why not write a short story about a student who overcomes his/her nerves to get on brilliantly in his/her exams :) (or indeed a motivational speech for nervous students - therapeutic, and it counts as study!)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

This thread title describes me so accurately

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Keep your cool, you'll be grand!
    If you want to practice your writing skills, why not write a short story about a student who overcomes his/her nerves to get on brilliantly in his/her exams :) (or indeed a motivational speech for nervous students - therapeutic, and it counts as study!)

Not looking forward to Paper 2 though (I go so hard on the pen, and in my mocks I had to skip 1 of the poetry questions to finish it, and I was still only halfway through part b of the question 2 on the fiction, when 2 and a half hours had passed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

There are adults on here that can't post as well as you can!
    The only change I would make would be the word 'gotten'. Use 'become' instead. Otherwise I think it's perfect. I would say you are better than you think you are. Relax. Good luck with the exams :)

emeldc wrote: »
    There are adults on here that can't post as well as you can!
    The only change I would make would be the word 'gotten'. Use 'become' instead. Otherwise I think it's perfect. I would say you are better than you think you are. Relax. Good luck with the exams :)

Thanks, best of luck to you too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The best advice anyone can give about the Junior Cert...is don't worry about it at all.
    It has no bearing or consequence on anything to do with the rest of your life.

When you are 18 you will not be asked how you did on your Junior Cert.
    When applying for jobs, for colleges, for universities or any course...you will not be asked how you did or what you got on your Junior Cert.

It is just a guide for yourself to see how good you are doing and what you need to work on if you intend on doing a really good Leaving Cert.

Although in your head it is a big thing, and you may be stressing over it....do yourself a favour...and ask ANYONE over the age of 21....how important is the Junior Cert ?

I would be surprised if anyone said anything other than 'not at all'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's the first thing many people do entirely on their own, so it's not entirely worthless, but people certainly stress too much about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement