Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an iPhone from Adverts

• 02-06-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I spotted a seller on adverts who has an iPhone 5s for a very good price, and they seem to have a bricks and mortar shop also.

I hope to go to the shop this week and buy the phone. Is there anything I should look out for? or ask?

Im wary because the price is very good. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Hi all

I spotted a seller on adverts who has an iPhone 5s for a very good price, and they seem to have a bricks and mortar shop also.

I hope to go to the shop this week and buy the phone. Is there anything I should look out for? or ask?

Im wary because the price is very good. Thanks for any help

Check the serial numbers on the Apple website and also test all the external buttons etc. make sure the screen isn't loose or fitted incorrectly, I was unlucky enough to buy a 4S which had a replaced screen without being told do. The screen replacement was obvious just from looking at the phone. You could actually see the lights on the inside of the phone just from looking at either side. Also try and test the phone for any signal or wifi issues, make sure sound is working okay too. It's an expensive phone so make sure you test it as much as you possibly can before handing over your cash. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I spotted a seller on adverts who has an iPhone 5s for a very good price, and they seem to have a bricks and mortar shop also....

If its a shop they should give you a short warranty I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Check the serial numbers on the Apple website and also test all the external buttons etc. make sure the screen isn't loose or fitted incorrectly, I was unlucky enough to buy a 4S which had a replaced screen without being told do. The screen replacement was obvious just from looking at the phone. You could actually see the lights on the inside of the phone just from looking at either side. Also try and test the phone for any signal or wifi issues, make sure sound is working okay too. It's an expensive phone so make sure you test it as much as you possibly can before handing over your cash. Good luck

Ok, thanks. I didnt know I could check serial numbers. The phone is boxed and sealed, so I cant do the testing.

beauf wrote: »
    If its a shop they should give you a short warranty I assume?

I googled the shop but couldnt find anything about it(website,Facebook). The adverts comments say that theres a physical shop in Dublin. So Im not sure, I didnt contact the seller, I dont have an adverts account.

It also is an EU version iPhone with a 2 pin plug. Im not sure if that has any implications for the warranty on the phone.

It also is an EU version iPhone with a 2 pin plug. Im not sure if that has any implications for the warranty on the phone.

It shouldn't affect the warranty status. If it's sealed it should be fine as faults in brand new apple products are very slim.

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »

Thanks again Sam. When I check the serial number should that just show what device is attached to the number , service and support coverage?

Thats all I get when I google apple serial number and get results to apple.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The serial number is on the end of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The seller's feedback is always important with adverts IMO. If they have a solid rating, then I wouldn't be worrying.

Thanks again Sam. When I check the serial number should that just show what device is attached to the number , service and support coverage?

Thats all I get when I google apple serial number and get results to apple.com

That's correct. That's all your really need though, as the serial no. is basically your Apple receipt. However, if the phone was bought elsewhere (not from apple) try to get a receipt for the shop in question also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Could it be a fake? Compare the prices to similar iphones. If its too good to be true I'd be very wary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just seen the seller's profile on Adverts - eu plug gave it away ;). Excellent feedback and has been around for a few years.

godtabh wrote: »
    Could it be a fake? Compare the prices to similar iphones. If its too good to be true I'd be very wary

Its about 150-170 Euro less (depending on Gb model) than in the shops, so thats why Im kind of wary and I never bought from adverts or anything like it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The lightening connector is **** and loads of people including myself have issues with it. Apple replaced my phone out of warranty as they know that it's an issue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ted1 wrote: »
    The lightening connector is **** and loads of people including myself have issues with it. Apple replaced my phone out of warranty as they know that it's an issue

And that would be relevant to buying an iPhone on adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

whiterebel wrote: »
    And that would be relevant to buying an iPhone on adverts?

Because he now knows to check it for a dodgy connection.

The OP was looking for advice on what to look out for.

ted1 wrote: »

Thanks I didnt know that

Advertisement