Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission Gardening Quandry:

• 02-06-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi,

Do I need planning permission to errect 1.8 meter metal posts to act as supports for young climbing plants, at 2 meter intervals, right inside/against
    a front garden side-boundary (i.e. side boundaries forward of house)?

Why / Why not?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

phatony wrote: »
    Do I need planning permission to errect 1.8 meter metal posts to act as supports for young climbing plants,

No. See below

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/Publications/DoELeaflets/PDFFile,373,en.pdf

9. Can I erect walls, fences and gates?
    Capped walls made of brick, stone or block with a decorative finish, railings and wooden fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height in front of your house or 2 metres at the side or rear. If the wall is made of plain blocks or mass concrete it must be plastered. Gates and gateways may be built or replaced providing they do not exceed 2 metres in height. You will need planning permission if you wish to make a new or wider access to the public road.

You can build a wall / fence 2m high without permission, so 1.8m high will be fine. Also plant supports tent to be temporary structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭phatony

Yes but the sides of a front garden are technically in front of the house, not to the side of a house, so 1.2 meters applicable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I'm guessing that the front of the house refers to the road frontage- not the orientation of the building on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

OP what diameter are your metal posts?
    Could the Council mistake your plant supports as some sort of metal & wire fence?

There are differences between landscaping and fencing / walls.
    If you were to ask me do I need permission to erect a pallisade fence to support climbing plants - then I'd say yes you do. But rods, posts or canes to support plants are usually temporary structures therefore they do not require permission.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

Many people grow hedges higher than 1.2m on their front boundary. I am unaware of a height restriction on plants height. (The UK were considering a law on hedge height to rectify boundary disputes involving Leylandi trees)

I think you should contact your local Planning Officier for their exact definition on " 2 metres at the side or rear"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

RKQ wrote: »
    No. See below
    . If the wall is made of plain blocks or mass concrete it must be plastered.

my neighbour erected a 2 metre high block wall between us which isnt plastered. i dont care one bit because i have great privacy. covering it with climbers and shrubs to hid the severity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement