Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for a month from Game of Thrones forum

Options
  • 02-06-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭

Here is the thread although my post has been deleted, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057221743

So I thought I posted already but it doesn't seem to be showing up so excuse me if this is a repost.

I had posted speculation in the Non-Book Readers thread in the Game of Thrones forum. Seemingly this speculation was true which led the mod to believe that I was posting under the guise of speculation, claiming that I in fact knew exactly what happened as there has been a problem with people who have read the books posting in the Non-book readers thread pretending not to have read the books...if you get me, hope that makes sense.

I'd just like to basically say firstly, I have read the 1st 2 books, which is irrelevant to the thread as it is dealing with season 4 which would be book 4. The comment I made was genuine speculation which evidently turned out to be right, which I'm actually annoyed about as the fact that I have been banned means it must have been true!haha

I think if you look at a lot of my posts in the forum it shows that I am genuinely a non-book reader who simply guessed right. I understand where the mod is coming from as posting of spoilers in the spoiler free thread is obviously a big problem he has had to deal with. It wouldn't really bother me it's just that if the month ban is upheld I will miss out on the last 2 threads of the season and obviously the forum tends to die out a bit after that when Game of Thrones is on break. Although I have just realised if I log out the I can still view the forum so I guess it's no biggie but at the same time I would like to have my name cleared.

Cheers, sorry again if I posted this twice by accident

Edit, nvm forgot to add prefix thats why it didnt work 1st time heh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'd just like to point out that I did pm the mod who felt he made the right call and to bring it here, just to clarify.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Hello,
    Will have a snoop around for you.

Cool, he said that there was 1 or 2 other posts which first arose his suspicion but as I am banned and can't see which ones he meant so can't comment on em yet. Cheers!

You've admitted (here, as well as to the Mod) to reading GoT books (you claim two of them), so you have to understand the Mod's PoV that having already admitted reading (some) books and then coming out with an accurate speculation//spoiler can't really be brushed aside by claiming you didn't read the others. There really is no way for the Mod to tell this, other than judgement based on words.

Posts like this do not help:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86113266&postcount=41
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89842086&postcount=80

All I can say is they acted in a way most if not all of us would have - Or, at least, I know I would have done the same.

I assume you intend to read the rest, if you have not already, so you'd do well to avoid the 'Haven't Read The Books' thread entirely to save everyone trouble in the long run, I feel.

I'm currently asking if the Mod is willing to downplay the ban by an amount they decide. A month is probably a bit too much given the circumstances - But again, it's hard to tell - And it's not fair allowing some people a lighter ban (based on charter) compared to others who have to take the full whack - But we'll roll with it anyway.

Seeing as you'll still be freely able to read the threads during a ban (which you seem content with), then having it shortened seems like a compromise for both.

Sound alright to you?

To be fair you've made a very good point there and on reading the two posts you've linked I guess I understand Calex's point of view now. I get that my defence is purely based on my word.

I have read the first 2 books but I have no intention of passing out the tv show and I am not reading onward, I merely read the 1st 2 to pass the break in seasons as there was a number of threads started for non-book readers who wished to get into the books which I joined in on. But I guess this does cause a problem.

I only wished to clear my name as I would hope to continue to post in the Non-Readers thread as I assure you I am as completely clueless as a person who has read none of the books, as everything that is happening currently has no relevance to the first 2 books. But then again I understand that is simply based on my word alone.

I guess, in the circumstances I accept the ban in that sense but I would still like to let it be known that I absolutely did not post fact under the guise of speculation. If the mod feels it inappropriate that I continue to post in the Non-Readers thread then I won't however I would hope I am free to do so.

If Calex feels it appropriate to shorten the ban then cool but no biggie if not, as if he feels that I should no longer post in that thread I won't do so as I wouldn't feel right.

TL;DR, I'm happy with that deal if Calex is!

Just to be clear, the 'best not post in the non-read the book thread' was my own suggestion - The mod hasn't mentioned do or don't regarding posting in the thread, I just added that in as it makes sense. If the mod has said that to you them-self then that is a different matter - If not, then just take it as my own advice.

To be honest, if you waited out the ban then there wouldn't be anything stopping you posting in the thread again at all - Though understand, another 'accurate speculation' might cause trouble (hence my suggestion) :p

I would not really have taken issue with the ban only for the fact that I will miss out on the final two episode threads and after that the forum tends to die a bit, so I would miss any final discussion as, as you can imagine, crazy stuff tends to go down in the last few episodes! And the fact that I did not want to be seen as one of those people who do post fact under the guise of speculation as that drives me mental mental myself and if anything I'm glad Calex does such a good job to prevent spoilers. As I said, your post made my realise I was a little out of line regardless which I accept.

Just to confirm this:

If you agree with this, then I'll shred the ban down (amount pending) and we can call it resolved.

EDIT:
    Down to 1 week from 1 month (on agreement).

Yes, complete agreement I am delighted with that.

You need not fear, I certainly won't be engaging in future speculation after this :P And yes I will keep it to discussion on the current episode.

That's awesome, cheers

• Advertisement

Alrighty then - Don't thank me, thank the Mod - I am but the middle-person :cool:

This matter can be marked as resolved, ban reduced to 1week from 1month as per above agreement.

Maybe you should read the rest of the books :p
    Have a good one!

Awesome, I may actually begin the third as I guess as long as I keep to discussion on current events it's all good :)

All is well, same to you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement