Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google I/O 2014

• 02-06-2014 11:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

hhnJeR4.jpg

Google I/O is on this year on 25/26 of June.

Seeing as though there wasn't a thread about it (that I could fine) I decided to create one!

(Apologies if there already is one.)

There should be a link to the live stream on the day, here

I know it's a little bit away but after WWDC today what are you excited for?

Personally I'm excited for the next Nexus tablet the Nexus 8 or whatever and maybe even the return of the Nexus 10?

Can't wait to see what Google has instore for us all :)

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun a little here but I'm just really excited!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

While Apple’s WWDC keynote focused on it’s OS for the Mac and iPhone Google has a lot more stuff going on.

Android
    I expect Android 4.5 to arrive but I can’t see major changes. It will probably be lots of minor advancements like what iOS8 is proposing. I’m very interested to see what these changes are and as a Nexus owner will be looking forward to upgrading soon.

Android TV
    This looks like it’s going to replace Google TV which was a bit of a flop. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new Amazon Fire TV Box and how much gaming will be a part of it.

Chromecast
    Unlike Apple who didn’t mention anything about the Apple TV I expect some announcements for Chromecast. Small upgrade like dual band wifi possibly to the dongle and due to a leak we know the ESPN app will get chromecast support. I’d like to see more apps announced with support and better native support in Android like true screen casting.

Internet to the masses
    Talk of Google launching satellites, drones and they have Project Loom already in testing in New Zealand which uses weather balloons. Might get some mention of how it’s going / further testing but nothing that will affect any of us.

Chrome OS
    It sounds like it was a successful year for Chrome OS. I don’t think we’ll get a new chomebook like when the Chromebook Pixel was released but there will be new features announced.

Google Hangouts
    Google Voice will be combined with Hangouts and I expect an update to the Android Hangout’s app. The iPhone version supports sending audio and animated gifs. They might add snapchat destructing messages, photos and videos like iMessages have just added. I also expect Hangouts to backup SMS messages to the cloud and sync them so I’ll see my SMS messages on my tablet too and possibly even reply to them. Might be able to see them through the browser as well for Chrome OS.

New Nexus Tablet
    Probably one new tablet which will be the Nexus 8 after the two successful versions of the Nexus 7. May have a Nexus 8 and Nexus 10. Not sure.

Google +
    Probably some new features announced. Don’t really use it much but it is now a big part of Google.

Google Apps
    Google recently announced Docs and Sheets (excel). Expect to see Slides for powerpoint type editing and it should come with chromecast support or at least I hope it does.

Probably updates on other stuff too. For example how are Waze and Google Maps getting on and any further integration between them. We may also see more on Google’s other big purchase Nest and it’s plans for the Internet of Things.

It’s more of a collection of small things I’m looking forward too rather than one large big thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

I'm scared if android silver though. It would be good though if more phones hit gpe and were a lot cheaper I.e loads if different nexus devices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm scared if android silver though. It would be good though if more phones hit gpe and were a lot cheaper I.e loads if different nexus devices.

I'm pretty worried about it to to be honest.

The idea of Silver so I've heard if that instead of one Nexus device there'll be many, like Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola etc and they will be cheap and get all updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm pretty worried about it to to be honest.

The idea of Silver so I've heard if that instead of one Nexus device there'll be many, like Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola etc and they will be cheap and get all updates.

There isn't a hope that Google are going to subsidise multiple phones from different manufacturers. Google nor the manufacturers would want it.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    While Apple’s WWDC keynote focused on it’s OS for the Mac and iPhone Google has a lot more stuff going on.

Android
    I expect Android 4.5 to arrive but I can’t see major changes. It will probably be lots of minor advancements like what iOS8 is proposing. I’m very interested to see what these changes are and as a Nexus owner will be looking forward to upgrading soon.

Android TV
    This looks like it’s going to replace Google TV which was a bit of a flop. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new Amazon Fire TV Box and how much gaming will be a part of it.

Chromecast
    Unlike Apple who didn’t mention anything about the Apple TV I expect some announcements for Chromecast. Small upgrade like dual band wifi possibly to the dongle and due to a leak we know the ESPN app will get chromecast support. I’d like to see more apps announced with support and better native support in Android like true screen casting.

Internet to the masses
    Talk of Google launching satellites, drones and they have Project Loom already in testing in New Zealand which uses weather balloons. Might get some mention of how it’s going / further testing but nothing that will affect any of us.

Chrome OS
    It sounds like it was a successful year for Chrome OS. I don’t think we’ll get a new chomebook like when the Chromebook Pixel was released but there will be new features announced.

Google Hangouts
    Google Voice will be combined with Hangouts and I expect an update to the Android Hangout’s app. The iPhone version supports sending audio and animated gifs. They might add snapchat destructing messages, photos and videos like iMessages have just added. I also expect Hangouts to backup SMS messages to the cloud and sync them so I’ll see my SMS messages on my tablet too and possibly even reply to them. Might be able to see them through the browser as well for Chrome OS.

New Nexus Tablet
    Probably one new tablet which will be the Nexus 8 after the two successful versions of the Nexus 7. May have a Nexus 8 and Nexus 10. Not sure.

Google +
    Probably some new features announced. Don’t really use it much but it is now a big part of Google.

Google Apps
    Google recently announced Docs and Sheets (excel). Expect to see Slides for powerpoint type editing and it should come with chromecast support or at least I hope it does.

Probably updates on other stuff too. For example how are Waze and Google Maps getting on and any further integration between them. We may also see more on Google’s other big purchase Nest and it’s plans for the Internet of Things.

It’s more of a collection of small things I’m looking forward too rather than one large big thing.

In fairness Apple announced a good bit of stuff including a new programming language. IOS8 big enough jump from 7

Do you think we will get a 4.5? 3 weeks after the upgrade we are currently getting? I am not sure we will.

Android TV looking interesting alright but not sure if there will be hardware involved as I maybe would see it be possibly just a skin that can be on a multitude of devices. Not sure why they are going down the road of Chromecast and Android TV but that's Google for ya!

Google+ already updated significantly so don't think that would get too much more love as I understand that the Google+ team are being redeployed to other stuff.

Chromebook could get more attention alright.
    Hangouts badly needs to get with the pace of iMessage and Facebook messenger etc as its not great at the moment

I am really looking forward to the Silver devices. Pick your hardware and have vanilla Android with all the bells and whistles and fast updates.... What could be better than that?

Just downloaded and set up the new version of Android 4.4.3 on my Nexus 4
    No noticeable difference yet bar the new dialer. Seems a bit snappier on boot up and general use.

Just downloaded and set up the new version of Android 4.4.3 on my Nexus 4
    No noticeable difference yet bar the new dialer. Seems a bit snappier on boot up and general use.

Waiting to get the update myself on my 2013 Nexus 7.

Wonder will my Moto G get it too.

Seriously can't wait to Google I/O to see what's released.

Waiting to get the update myself on my 2013 Nexus 7.

Wonder will my Moto G get it too.

Seriously can't wait to Google I/O to see what's released.

Yup Motorola confirmed that Moto G will be updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Link?

• Advertisement

Link?

If you try Googling it you will find loads of links but just to appease you here you go. http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_starts_rolling_out_android_443_to_moto_x_moto_g_and_moto_e-news-8696.php

That's great news!

Just got the notification to update my Nexus 7 but it failed.

I'm wondering when I'll get it on my Moto G.

Ooh my 2,500th post! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

That's great news!

Just got the notification to update my Nexus 7 but it failed.

I'm wondering when I'll get it on my Moto G.

Ooh my 2,500th post! :)

Got mine about an hour ago on my nexus 7,no problems. Haven't turned my nexus 10 on yet so I,ll check that in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

How do we pronounce this? Io?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

eye oh :)

I hope there's a new tablet announced anyway.
    Still have my 2012 N7 after skipping last years model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

marcbrophy wrote: »
    eye oh :)

I hope there's a new tablet announced anyway.
    Still have my 2012 N7 after skipping last years model.

I need an upgrade for nexus 7 and 10. Google better start acting like Santa Claus

emo72 wrote: »
    How do we pronounce this? Io?

Just like the letters :)

I O

I really want a new Nexus tablet!

emo72 wrote: »
    I need an upgrade for nexus 7 and 10. Google better start acting like Santa Claus

Although I do like the idea of a bigger tablet in the N10, I mainly use my tablet in work, so the N7 just fits in my jacket pocket and is much more portable.

Google should give previous customers a 50% discount :pac:

This is only 3 days away now!

I think what with the suddenly discontinuation of the Google Chromecast being sold from Argos I think that's a pretty big inclination that Google will be launching it officially for us soon!

My Dad actually works in Argos and he said that they were simply told they're no longer stocking it.

I also think they're going to launch more Google Play Services in more countries and I think Ireland might just be one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Money is defintely on Android Wear, though id love to see Android dip its feet in TV and in car. Even full on screen mirroring incar would do me

This is only 3 days away now!

I think what with the suddenly discontinuation of the Google Chromecast being sold from Argos I think that's a pretty big inclination that Google will be launching it officially for us soon!

My Dad actually works in Argos and he said that they were simply told they're no longer stocking it.

I also think they're going to launch more Google Play Services in more countries and I think Ireland might just be one!

More Google services like movies and magazines announced to another 20ish countries last week and lo and behold Ireland not one of them.
    I think they asked Argos to stop stocking the chromecast in Ireland as its not officially supposed to be sold here.

I haven't really been keeping up on this tbh.

It seems from reading into the rumours today that there won't be a full new Android 'L' version being announced at I/O

Saying that, I see no reason why there might not be a 4.5 KitKat announced. JellyBean lived through 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3, so I'm holding out hope.

Also, if there's no new hardware being announced, then it's less likely that there'll be new software either. I'm getting the feeling the event might concentrate on android wear sdk's and google play services updates :(

General rumour round up of what we Might expect.
    http://m.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-io-2014-news/#!26M6W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

More Google services like movies and magazines announced to another 20ish countries last week and lo and behold Ireland not one of them.
    I think they asked Argos to stop stocking the chromecast in Ireland as its not officially supposed to be sold here.

They sold the Nexus 7 2012 version here along with PC world for ages too.

Personally I’m hopeful that the chromecast is coming officially to the Google Play store in Ireland just like we have other devices already. If they were to release it in Ireland officially it would be better to announce it with official retail partners such as Argos and announce Movies in that country all at the same time to make everything more appealing.

If this is the case it would make sense to delay the movies announcement in Ireland they made in other countries two weeks ago. It would also explain why you can still purchase the chromecast in Argos if you go into any store and purchase it with the original Argos catalogue code 249/3897. They have removed the device from the website but not any of their stores or systems. By now they would have shipped them all back to their other UK stores if it was permanent.

What really excites me (presuming the above guess it true) is will we get an official app launch with the announcement like the RTE Player similar to how the BBC Player launched with it in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Android Wear will be the big one
    Android redesign and Go integration at the NDK level will probably also feature.
    Here's hoping for better tools, an update to the android testing framework is long overdue.

jester77 wrote: »
    Android Wear will be the big one
    Android redesign and Go integration at the NDK level will probably also feature.
    Here's hoping for better tools, an update to the android testing framework is long overdue.

Yes it looks as though android wear is going to be very prominent,which doesn't really float my boat. I would much prefer to see some new hardware, as in tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dudda wrote: »
    They sold the Nexus 7 2012 version here along with PC world for ages too.

Personally I’m hopeful that the chromecast is coming officially to the Google Play store in Ireland just like we have other devices already. If they were to release it in Ireland officially it would be better to announce it with official retail partners such as Argos and announce Movies in that country all at the same time to make everything more appealing.

If this is the case it would make sense to delay the movies announcement in Ireland they made in other countries two weeks ago. It would also explain why you can still purchase the chromecast in Argos if you go into any store and purchase it with the original Argos catalogue code 249/3897. They have removed the device from the website but not any of their stores or systems. By now they would have shipped them all back to their other UK stores if it was permanent.

What really excites me (presuming the above guess it true) is will we get an official app launch with the announcement like the RTE Player similar to how the BBC Player launched with it in the UK.

I don't seem to have a devices option in my play store?

Am I missing something:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I don't seem to have a devices option in my play store?

Am I missing something:confused:

You can't see the devices when you use the app, you have to go to the website play.google.com

Advertisement