Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec predicts a Ulster v Munster final.

I have a feeling we'll pull a performance out of the bag next weekend and become the first team to win an away semi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »

I have a feeling we'll pull a performance out of the bag next weekend and become the first team to win an away semi.

Struggle to see past a Glasgow-Munster final myself. Should be three excellent games left though no matter what.

Also fair play to Glasgow - first ever Scottish table topper and first from only the second team outside the usual 4 suspects.

Hard luck for them that the final is in Belfast. Fairly unavoidable given the new timetable but could have been handled better at the time. At least they won't have to play Ulster away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I think we'll beat Glasgow. A lot depends on the injuries up front though. Sounds like Herbst is gone and it doesn't look good for VDM.

Hendy to the row and Diack to 6. Lutton at TH i guess, he did pretty well today.

So what are the semi's?

• Advertisement

So what are the semi's?

Munster v Ospreys (Saturday)
    Glasgow v Ulster (Friday)

Ulster have come out of this as best as they realistically could have. Glasgow away is the best of the away semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Where do people think next year's final will be? 4 out of the 5 finals so far have been at the RDS so I can't see the organisers putting another one there. Thomond Park has hosted one as well so maybe that'll rule that out. Liberty stadium or Parc Y Scarlets? Or will they use one of the big three (Aviva, Edinburgh, or Millennium) and put tickets on sale early to generate a big crowd?

Don't think we're at the stage where they could sell out one of the big stadia. Aviva would be the best bet, but even still I think they would struggle a good bit if no Irish teams are involved. People will, in general, only buy early if they think they won't be able to get them later and that won't really be a concern I would imagine.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Where do people think next year's final will be? 4 out of the 5 finals so far have been at the RDS so I can't see the organisers putting another one there. Thomond Park has hosted one as well so maybe that'll rule that out. Liberty stadium or Parc Y Scarlets? Or will they use one of the big three (Aviva, Edinburgh, or Millennium) and put tickets on sale early to generate a big crowd?

Scotland or Wales I'd have thought.

bilston wrote: »
    Scotland or Wales I'd have thought.

Where though? Scotland would be an obvious choice but Scoutsoun is too small and Murrayfield (realistically) too big.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Where though? Scotland would be an obvious choice but Scoutsoun is too small and Murrayfield (realistically) too big.

Well that's the problem. Scotstoun only holds 10,000, I suppose they could maybe look to use Tynecastle or Easter Road or somewhere like that. If they go to Wales then The Liberty, Cardiff Arms Park or Parc Y Scarlet would all fit the bill. I can't see them sticking in Ireland for a second consecutive year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1. Glasgow 75 (+1, -4)
    2. Munster 75 (+1, +1)
    3. Ospreys 74 (+2, +8)
    4. Ulster 60 (---, +1)
    5. Leinster 62 (-4, -20)
    6. Scarlets 57 (---, +2)
    7. Connacht 50 (+3, +15)
    8. Edinburgh 48 (---, +10)
    9. Dragons 42 (---, +7)
    10. Cardiff 35 (-3, -6)
    11. Treviso 19 (---, -11)
    12. Zebre 15 (---, -15)

So the biggest improvers were Connacht and the biggest fall was Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

1. Glasgow 75 (+1, -4)
    2. Munster 75 (+1, +1)
    3. Ospreys 74 (+2, +8)
    4. Ulster 60 (---, +1)
    5. Leinster 62 (-4, -20)
    6. Scarlets 57 (---, +2)
    7. Connacht 50 (+3, +15)
    9. Dragons 42 (---, +7)
    10. Cardiff 35 (-3, -6)
    12. Zebre 15 (---, -15)

Jaysus rub it in why don't you!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. Glasgow 75 (+1, -4)
    2. Munster 75 (+1, +1)
    3. Ospreys 74 (+2, +8)
    4. Ulster 60 (---, +1)
    5. Leinster 62 (-4, -20)
    6. Scarlets 57 (---, +2)
    7. Connacht 50 (+3, +15)
    9. Dragons 42 (---, +7)
    10. Cardiff 35 (-3, -6)
    12. Zebre 15 (---, -15)

really shows how much the italians have fallen off the cliff too.
    and they will be worse next year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Treviso's worst ever showing.

They're usually good for somewhere in the 30s mark point wise.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Jaysus rub it in why don't you!

Sure thing.

Leinster were ****e this year.

Shall I continue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Best league to date without question. Let's hope we go on and win it out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Re the semifinal pairings - the two teams that travel next week were away this weekend too, Ulster rested a few players this weekend so might be fresher next week. Have we had an away win in the semifinals yet? If not I think Ulster could buck that trend. If they do get through to the final then they'll take some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well I thought after the game that ulster getting a spanking is a bit telling... I think they just went in as a dress rehearsal. Now they know exactly what to expect from Glasgow. I could defo see it being an ulster Munster final despite Glasgow being favourites now I imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think we've had an away win in the playoffs yet, not sure if we're going to have one this season either.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Don't think we've had an away win in the playoffs yet, not sure if we're going to have one this season either.

Assuming Ulster can field a team similar to what drew with Munster least week why couldn't they win in Glasgow next week? It certainly wouldn't be a shock result.

Only Toulouse have won in Glasgow this season, they've a 100% home record in the Pro12 and beat Bath and Montpellier well in the RCC.

I dunno tbh when it comes to Ulster and Glasgow and winning in crunch games I think at this stage they have to do it before I believe they will, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Greyian

phog wrote: »
    Assuming Ulster can field a team similar to what drew with Munster least week why couldn't they win in Glasgow next week? It certainly wouldn't be a shock result.

So the team Ulster put out last week drew at home, but it wouldn't be a shock result if they went away and won against the team who topped the league in the regular season?

It's certainly possible they'll win, but Glasgow are (deservedly) favourites.

Greyian wrote: »
    So the team Ulster put out last week drew at home, but it wouldn't be a shock result if they went away and won against the team who topped the league in the regular season?

It's certainly possible they'll win, but Glasgow are (deservedly) favourites.

The red card last week had a huge say in Munster taking the lead.

If Ulster's halfback pairing are on song they'll take some beating add in Best and Henderson and Ulster become a hard team to beat.

Munster were winning when Henderson got sent off though

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Munster were winning when Henderson got sent off though

So we were but when Ulster scored their last penalty they looked like the stronger team, the card reversed another kickable penalty for Ulster. Munster were scrambling to contain them at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

So with the new competitive edge in the league it looks like 55 plus points will guarantee champions cup rugby

Who's their player of the tournament?

For me, it's gotta be Rhys Webb. Considering he wasn't there for there for the international windows, he's been unbelievable for the sprays. Kahn who?

Rightwing wrote: »
    Best league to date without question. Let's hope we go on and win it out now.

It's been the best league from an entertainment and interest POV but the standard, especially at the start of the season, left a little to be desired at times. I reckon it will be much the same for the first half of next season as well (same for the Top 14 and while the GP starts later it will be impacted too).

It will be interesting to see the league attendances for the season and TV viewing figures as well. Sky have done their bit with some decent coverage but they don't seem to be killing themselves as far as marketing the competition is concerned.

• Advertisement

To be honest when you watch on TV or are at a match it doesn't help when the ground is only partially full. It really takes you out of it and colours your perception about the standard IMO. Too many matches are played in grounds that are too big.

Then you turn on the Top14 (I rarely watch AP so can't comment) and the majority of matches are played in front of full boisterous stadiums. Crowd reaction always influences your enjoyment of a game.

To be honest when you watch on TV or are at a match it doesn't help when the ground is only partially full. It really takes you out of it and colours your perception about the standard IMO. Too many matches are played in grounds that are too big.

Then you turn on the Top14 (I rarely watch AP so can't comment) and the majority of matches are played in front of full boisterous stadiums. Crowd reaction always influences your enjoyment of a game.

Agree completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Sky have done their bit with some decent coverage but they don't seem to be killing themselves as far as marketing the competition is concerned.

with 4 terrestrial stations covering the league too they have little to gain from marketing the competition outside of their own games.

It's been the best league from an entertainment and interest POV but the standard, especially at the start of the season, left a little to be desired at times. I reckon it will be much the same for the first half of next season as well (same for the Top 14 and while the GP starts later it will be impacted too).

It will be interesting to see the league attendances for the season and TV viewing figures as well. Sky have done their bit with some decent coverage but they don't seem to be killing themselves as far as marketing the competition is concerned.

I'd guess Leinster's and Munster's attendances have declined, Ulster's Connacht's and Glasgow's have probably increased. Overall, I hope there was an increase in ticket sales this season.

Re Sky I was very disappointed with their lack of any meaningful post match analysis last week after the Ulster v Munster game and this is not the first time they've as good as pulled the plug once the game is over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd guess Leinster's and Munster's attendances have declined, Ulster's Connacht's and Glasgow's have probably increased. Overall, I hope there was an increase in ticket sales this season.

Re Sky I was very disappointed with their lack of any meaningful post match analysis last week after the Ulster v Munster game and this is not the first time they've as good as pulled the plug once the game is over.

The Pro12 is only a filler for them. Football is where their money comes from and that starts at 4:45 on Saturdays. With matches these days lasting nearly 2 hrs it means little or no post match analysis.

If people are turning off after the final whistle and they have something else to show...

• Advertisement

I am surprised Sky have been happy to have Saturday afternoon games, thought we'd see more Friday night / Saturday lunchtime games.

The main thing on Saturday afternoon would be Soccer Saturday, and then the evening match. BT have the lunchtime game so I thought Sky would go up against that as they have no football content.

Think Sky actually gained the saturday lunchtime football rights and lost the evening ones in the last round of purchases, so if they keep their Pro12 content it could move to Saturday evening ~5pm kickoffs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Think Sky actually gained the saturday lunchtime football rights and lost the evening ones in the last round of purchases, so if they keep their Pro12 content it could move to Saturday evening ~5pm kickoffs.

That doesn't kick in until the 2016/17 season, so no change next season.

If they do move to Saturday evenings for the Pro 12 I think that'd be better for rugby.

If they do move to Saturday evenings for the Pro 12 I think that'd be better for rugby.

It also wouldn't clash with BT's Premiership rugby coverage so would possibly be better for Sky.

It also wouldn't clash with BT's Premiership rugby coverage so would possibly be better for Sky.

When do they currently show that?

• Advertisement

When do they currently show that?

Saturday afternoons at roughly the same time as Sky's Pro 12 coverage. They also show games on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons.

Saturday afternoons at roughly the same time as Sky's Pro 12 coverage. They also show games on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons.

They have the Premier League 5:30 kick offs from 2016 onward so I wonder if they'll move the Saturday rugby schedule to the lunchtime slot that football currently has.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Are the semi-finals only being shown on sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are the semi-finals only being shown on sky?

No, TG4 have both live. Rugbaí beo, mar a deir siad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Rhys Webb is the Pro12 player of the year, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne is young player and Townsend is coach of the year.

Hard to argue any of that really.

Ian Madigan is the Golden Boot winner (88% success rate) and Connacht win the 'fair play' award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Rhys Webb is the Pro12 player of the year, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne is young player and Townsend is coach of the year.

Hard to argue any of that really.

Ian Madigan is the Golden Boot winner (88% success rate) and Connacht win the 'fair play' award.
    Delighted for Townsend. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

vienne86 wrote: »
    Delighted for Townsend. Well deserved.

Met him yesterday in the restaurant in Bewleys Ballsbridge at lunchtime where the awards were due to be held, a very sound man. Told him his team were enjoyable to watch this year and wished them luck, he was very gracious, said they were working very hard for it. I'd like to see them do it.

I can't believe Ulster didn't win the Fair Play Award.

From Twitter
    Jamie Lyall ‏@JLyall93 5m5 minutes ago
    Confirmed - Monstrous Fijian winger Taqele Naiyaravoro joins Glasgow Warriors on a three-year deal. Scotland representation likely.

I can't believe Ulster didn't win the Fair Play Award.

Robbed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement