Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rhys Webb is the Pro12 player of the year, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne is young player and Townsend is coach of the year.

Hard to argue any of that really.

Ian Madigan is the Golden Boot winner (88% success rate) and Connacht win the 'fair play' award.

Rhys Webb defo deserved it, can't think of anyone that came close to it, he had an absolute stormer of a season.

Also, if the try of the season nominations hadn't been put up so early I imagine he'd have won it for his try against Glasgow last week. Sublime for me, mixed the set piece, team play and a bit of exceptional individual skill, the perfect all round try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    From Twitter

Thought he was going to Edinburgh.

As for Scotland representation.... sigh. The dilution of international rugby continues. When will this end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Full story:
    http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/15/05/18/warriors-sign-fijian-winger-naiyaravoro

The guy was quoted over the weekend as saying he'd turn down a move to Scotland and stay in Australia if Cheika picked him for the Wallabies.

Not a good advertisement for the 'residency' rule...

Thought he was going to Edinburgh.

As for Scotland representation.... sigh. The dilution of international rugby continues. When will this end?

I think the answer is obvious isn't it?

When NZ stop poaching islanders?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

that would be my view on it as well. I think the residency rules in several sports are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

aimee1 wrote: »
    that would be my view on it as well. I think the residency rules in several sports are a joke.

Agreed, there needs to be some worldwide resolution to the residency and parentage rules in international sport, a common framework. Maybe the Olympic movement would be a good forum. This flags of convenience situation is a nonsense.

For me it would be 10 years residency, and your Ma or Da and/or your own place of birth. No granny rule. And playing for two different Countries in different codes devalues both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Pro12 have confirmed that both semis will be live on Sky Sports and terrestrial, so Munster game is on TG4 while Ulster is on TG4 and BBC NI.

Kinda looking forward to watching the semis without having the nerves of my team being in them.

... Kinda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

.ak wrote: »
    Kinda looking forward to watching the semis without having the nerves of my team being in them.

... Kinda.

Us Connacht have been enjoying them like that for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Alberto di Marchi and Luke McLean have been let go from Sale and are linked with a move back to Italy. I presume both will go back to Treviso, who have signed a couple of decent players for next season hopefully should make them stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

4 fairly evenly matched teams for this weekend..weird not having Leinster in the top 4 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

So how does everyone feel after the year?
    Was Sky Sports a good thing?
    For the last couple of years the pro12 had attendance increase year on year but if I had to guess I'd say that the figures are down this year. Leinster and Munster crowds seemed to be down anyway. Connacht's numbers stayed strong as did Ulsters. The Welsh were delighted with Judgement day. A Scottish team won for the first time. Zebre improved slightly and Traviso went backwards. The gap to the Italians is more pronounced than ever and they have fair amount of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Greyian

For the last couple of years the pro12 had attendance increase year on year but if I had to guess I'd say that the figures are down this year. Leinster and Munster crowds seemed to be down anyway. Connacht's numbers stayed strong as did Ulsters. The Welsh were delighted with Judgement day. A Scottish team won for the first time. Zebre improved slightly and Traviso went backwards. The gap to the Italians is more pronounced than ever and they have fair amount of debt.

Looking at the fixtures/results section on the Pro 12 site, total attendances last year stood at 1,117,896 (excluding the final, no figure given). If we assume the final was 20,000, that would be 1,137,896.
    This season, total attendances stood at 1,212,211, so 6.5% growth across the league this season.

In terms of competitiveness though, the Italians were absolutely woeful this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fairly ok. Sky were certainly a good thing.

Italians were poor and may be again this season but hopefully with the changes in their agegrade/academy set ups they'll be better in next few years at bringing players through which should eventually kick on to their pro12 sides
    Attendances slightly up but Munster not getting as big crowds in Limerick as they used to. Musgrave being closed for large part of season wasn't great in relation to that. Musgrave open all through season should help things next season even with world cup on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think it was a very successful season. A few big changes.

Neutral Final venue - It was a success this year, Kingspan is a great venue.
    Qualification for RCC - Made it much more exciting all year.
    Sky coverage - If there was a decent amount of cash involved I'd be happy enough.

The actual development of the league was fine. The Italians were disappointing. Glasgow beginning to sell out is great news, on the field and off the field they're improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    I see paddy power have released their odds for the winners next year already:

Leinster 15/8
    Ulster 11/4
    Munster 7/2
    Glasgow 9/2
    Ospreys 8/1
    Scarlets 33/1

I predict:

1. An Irish winner again

2. The same top 4 teams as this year, just in different order. The gap between the top 4 and the rest will be bigger.

Leinster aren't going to fall away that badly :-)

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think it was a very successful season. A few big changes.

Neutral Final venue - It was a success this year, Kingspan is a great venue.
    Qualification for RCC - Made it much more exciting all year.
    Sky coverage - If there was a decent amount of cash involved I'd be happy enough.

The actual development of the league was fine. The Italians were disappointing. Glasgow beginning to sell out is great news, on the field and off the field they're improving.

One thing that helped the league was the change in the calendar. Having the knockout stages of the Champions Cup two weeks apart definitely benefitted the Pro 12 in terms of hype asnit meant the last three weeks were all about the Pro 12.

On the other hand it seemed to damage the Champions Cup.

Using the Kingspan as a neutral venue worked very well. However the final can't be at the Kingspan every year and while I think the RDS would be a great venue I'm not sure where else with a decent capacity would sell out. Scotstoun is too small, I have my doubts as to whether Thomond would sell out if Munster weren't there, and the less said about Wales the better.

I wonder if the change to neutral venues stipulates a new host country every season.

I wonder if the change to neutral venues stipulates a new host country every season.

It should simply rotate around the 12 clubs imo.

Clubs who cannot host (re: venue size etc) can simply pass it on.

• Advertisement

It should simply rotate around the 12 clubs imo.

Clubs who cannot host (re: venue size etc) can simply pass it on.

Munster vs Leinster at the Sportsground. Only the super ultras would get in. Awesome!

Is there a minimum capacity requirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Doubt it. Don't see a final in Italy for a while yet and it really depends on who tenders/wants to host game.
    bilston wrote: »
    Is there a minimum capacity requirement?
    I assume same as before(18000). Wasn't it 18k before this?

Doubt it. Don't see a final in Italy for a while yet and it really depends on who tenders/wants to host game.

Yes now you mention it that was why Ulster couldn't host it a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would love to see a Pro 12 final here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Flaminio

Advertisement