Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

It's fine on Chrome for me

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Works fine for me on Chrome.

Try clearing your cache?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GavMan wrote: »
    Nope. Down for me.

Error simply saying "InvalidCust". No other details.

I'm on chrome. Cant be arsed trying any other browser

My guess here is that they're doing redirection based on IP in order to send people to different versions of the site and they haven't worked it out yet fully, because if you're seeing "InvalidCust" on the page then it's coming from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

GavMan wrote: »
    Nope. Down for me.

Error simply saying "InvalidCust". No other details.

I'm on chrome. Cant be arsed trying any other browser

Working fine for me. Are you in work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

All working for me on Chrome. Very nice site - looks cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster again finish the league section with games against (H) Leinster, (H) Munster and (A) Glasgow. I can only hope we don't have the injury crisis again. I do think it's a pretty unfair division of the games. I know in theory it shouldn't matter but we all know it does.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Seems a bit nuts that we're screwed over at the end of the season two years in a row? How does that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm not sure Ulster will qualify in Europe this year given their pool (Toulon, Leicester, Scarlets), the loss of leadership in Johann Muller and the night of the long knives behind the scenes during the summer. Therefore I think they will have the rest weeks to manage the run-in and it wouldn't surprise me if they finish top in the end.

Are you being screwed over? In fairness the September and October fixture list looks pretty handy, you play Zebre twice and have three home matches in October. Of the first six matches Ulster should at least four wins plus a few bonus points in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster again finish the league section with games against (H) Leinster, (H) Munster and (A) Glasgow. I can only hope we don't have the injury crisis again. I do think it's a pretty unfair division of the games. I know in theory it shouldn't matter but we all know it does.

Upon closer inspection every side does in fact have to play every other side twice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is Warburton going to play for Cardiff next season, or does anyone know what the story is with him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Eh, you have two of (probably) your main rivals at home; would that not give Ulster an advantage in the run-in, if anything?

But no, it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Seems Glasgow started pre season 9th June

"We're now into week five of pre-season training and the squad have been working extremely hard," he added."

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/15281.php#.U76FcECf7Y8

but here

"
    "It's an exciting start to the season with a repeat of last season's final at Scotstoun." Had to read this three times to understand it

I am a little slow today

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is Warburton going to play for Cardiff next season, or does anyone know what the story is with him?

Good question, I haven't read anything about his situation for months.

@ssaye, step in here good Sir! :)

Good question, I haven't read anything about his situation for months.

@ssaye, step in here good Sir! :)

He had porridge for breakfast this morning.

Will find out.

quick twitter search hes just married so thats him fecked

but is back training preseason

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-pre-season-going-well-7394178

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's listed on Cardiff's website squad so I presume he's with them.

He's listed on Cardiff's website squad so I presume he's with them.

he is http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-pre-season-going-well-7394178

preseason begun

Tox56 wrote: »
    Upon closer inspection every side does in fact have to play every other side twice

The order in which they do so is obviously very important.

Eh, you have two of (probably) your main rivals at home; would that not give Ulster an advantage in the run-in, if anything?

Probably all three. I doubt if any side relishes the idea of playing the top 3 sides in consecutive weeks. Looking back at the season, we had so many injuries etc that it was a pretty steep hill to climb for the players. Still at least the Munster fixture will give a bit of a run out for the Academy lads.... (joke)
    Leinster play Edinburgh, Ulster and Treviso.
    Munster play Dragons, Ulster and Treviso.
    Glasgow play Ulster, Ospreys and Connacht - so not as easy as the other two.
    I'm pretty certain that if you asked any coach which run in they would take as being most beneficial and easiest on their playing resources, they would take Treviso, Edinburgh, Dragons, Connacht over Leinster, Munster and Glasgow. The effort to play 3 high intensity games in 14 days takes a toll on the players and racks up the injuries. Ulster will have to play their first choice players with little rotation while the others can rest and manage their main guys. That could be, given the circumstances that might prevail, a significant disadvantage - again - to Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Will any of the Welsh side be competitive this season at all?

Of course it matters.

Having your big intensity games spread out as much as possible is obviously highly advantageous if you can get it.

• Advertisement

Probably all three. I doubt if any side relishes the idea of playing the top 3 sides in consecutive weeks. Looking back at the season, we had so many injuries etc that it was a pretty steep hill to climb for the players. Still at least the Munster fixture will give a bit of a run out for the Academy lads.... (joke)
    Leinster play Edinburgh, Ulster and Treviso.
    Munster play Dragons, Ulster and Treviso.
    Glasgow play Ulster, Ospreys and Connacht - so not as easy as the other two.
    I'm pretty certain that if you asked any coach which run in they would take as being most beneficial and easiest on their playing resources, they would take Treviso, Edinburgh, Dragons, Connacht over Leinster, Munster and Glasgow. The effort to play 3 high intensity games in 14 days takes a toll on the players and racks up the injuries. Ulster will have to play their first choice players with little rotation while the others can rest and manage their main guys. That could be, given the circumstances that might prevail, a significant disadvantage - again - to Ulster.

Ulster will have already played the likes of Treviso, Connacht, Zebre and Edinburgh twice before those three games. If they are unable to take advantage of those easier games, then there really is only one direction where the blame should be pointed.

Aside from that however, if Ulster manage to progress in Europe, then it will be tough for them to manage both competitions due to the very high intensity coming from both. However the same is true of a couple of teams every year, and if Ulster don't progress in Europe then the high intensity league games could end up being a positive thing for Ulster in the buildup to the playoffs. It's far too early to tell any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

What are the chances of Setanta Ireland getting most if not all the TV rights for the Irish Republic?

Ulster will have already played the likes of Treviso, Connacht, Zebre and Edinburgh twice before those three games. If they are unable to take advantage of those easier games, then there really is only one direction where the blame should be pointed.

Aside from that however, if Ulster manage to progress in Europe, then it will be tough for them to manage both competitions due to the very high intensity coming from both. However the same is true of a couple of teams every year, and if Ulster don't progress in Europe then the high intensity league games could end up being a positive thing for Ulster in the buildup to the playoffs. It's far too early to tell any of that.

It isn't about taking advantage of 'easier' games. Perhaps if you actually read the bit about resources being squeezed in a very short time frame you might post differently.

It isn't about taking advantage of 'easier' games. Perhaps if you actually read the bit about resources being squeezed in a very short time frame you might post differently.

Yes I did read it. And as I said, it could easilly become a positive if other things don't go Ulster's way. Maybe you haven't gotten as far as the second paragraph yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

RAKM wrote: »
    What are the chances of Setanta Ireland getting most if not all the TV rights for the Irish Republic?
    none in the next 3 years. TG4 and Sky have the rights. RTE did not bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »
    Of course it matters.

Having your big intensity games spread out as much as possible is obviously highly advantageous if you can get it.

Unless Ulster make the Euro final there will be a week off between the Leinster and Munster games at Ravenhill, and there will be a week off before those two games if Ulster don't make the semis.

Presumably Ulster back themselves to win their home games and they'll have the chance to not only pick up points but take them off their closest rivals at the end of the season. Munster and Leinster are never going to be easy games, realistically I don't see how it would be any easier at any other time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yes I did read it. And as I said, it could easilly become a positive if other things don't go Ulster's way. Maybe you haven't gotten as far as the second paragraph yet.

It's off season... Keep the bitchiness for the regular season please!

Will any of the Welsh side be competitive this season at all?

Ospreys, Lanelli, and Cardiff finished 5th, 6th, and 7th last season but I think there'll be two Welsh teams pushing for a play off spot next season. Competitive to win it out right I dunno.

Some of the guys that the Welsh teams have lost don't really play that much for their clubs anyway.

Hibbard started 5 last season and 12 the season before
    Ryan Jones started 5 last season and 4 the season before
    Ian Evans started 7 and 10 for the past 2 seasons
    Bradley Davies was 7 and 9

All in the Rabo that is.

Ulster do have a hard run in but equally they've
    Dragons (h)
    Treviso (h)
    Edin (a)
    Lanelli (h)
    Dragons (h)

During the AI and 6N's so it's swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Of course it matters.

Not so sure. What about momentum etc? Why, for years, did Leinster and Munster knock seven shades of sh*t out of each other the week before the HC kicked off?

Ulster could also have two weeks off before hosting Leinster and then a week off before hosting Munster (depending on how they do in Europe) so plenty of recuperation time.

It'll be grand lads, no advantage/disadvantage to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Surprised the website changed so quickly. I remember when it changed to Rabodirect, they took the whole summer to change the website!

I reckon the end of the season layout is ridiculous. Champions Cup QF two weeks after 6 Nations finishes, Champions cup knockout stage done over 4 weekends and league semi-finals and final squished into the last two weeks of the season.

Great for spectators, horrible for players.

Also, 3 derbies over Christmas is a great addition and Munster v Leinster on Stephens day will be fantastic :D

thelad95 wrote: »
    I reckon the end of the season layout is ridiculous. Champions Cup QF two weeks after 6 Nations finishes, Champions cup knockout stage done over 4 weekends and league semi-finals and final squished into the last two weeks of the season.

Great for spectators, horrible for players.

Also, 3 derbies over Christmas is a great addition and Munster v Leinster on Stephens day will be fantastic :D

I think because there's a play off for the last qualifying spot that the comp has to be so compact.

Otherwise there's a possibility that a team who's only qualified for the play off for the qualifying season but has made the final of the RCC could be stuck for a free game weekend to play the play off.

I think because there's a play off for the last qualifying spot that the comp has to be so compact.

The playoff actually doesn't affect the schedule whatsoever though really. The teams involved in the playoff, by the very nature of the playoff, won't be involved in their domestic playoffs or finals.

The reason they've compacted it is to move the European final a bit further away from the domestic finals.

• Advertisement

But what if they make it to the final of the RCC?

I can't remember what the story is fully for the play offs but isn't something like next season there'll be a Pro12 team or teams in so it'll be more than just one or two games?

The schedule is just ridiculous after 6N. It's literally non-stop until the end of May. Squishing the league play-offs into two weekends is going to make it really difficult to sell out a final even for Leinster or Munster. I wonder is it time for the Pro12 to name a final venue and have tickets on sale all season while keeping aside an allocation for the final teams. They could rotate between AVIVA,Murrayfield,Millenium Staduim, and even the odd final in Italy, Thomond, Liberty Stadium,Cardiff City stadium and the RDS when/if renovated.

thelad95 wrote: »
    The schedule is just ridiculous after 6N. It's literally non-stop until the end of May. Squishing the league play-offs into two weekends is going to make it really difficult to sell out a final even for Leinster or Munster. I wonder is it time for the Pro12 to name a final venue and have tickets on sale all season while keeping aside an allocation for the final teams. They could rotate between AVIVA,Murrayfield,Millenium Staduim, and even the odd final in Italy, Thomond, Liberty Stadium,Cardiff City stadium and the RDS when/if renovated.

I don't think the league has the following to name one venue. Plus there's the geographical issue of supporters travelling.

I like the idea of home/away playoffs, it gives a big incentive to finish in the top two. I do agree with you on squishing the playoffs though, that's going to a nightmare for clubs to sell tickets in such a short space of time.

I don't think the league has the following to name one venue. Plus there's the geographical issue of supporters travelling.

I like the idea of home/away playoffs, it gives a big incentive to finish in the top two.

Definitely not but you would be surprised what can happen with cheap tickets and ridiculous amounts of marketing. Even if they could fill the lower tiers of Murrayfield or the Millenium Stadium, it would make for a magnificent occasion.

But what if they make it to the final of the RCC?

I can't remember what the story is fully for the play offs but isn't something like next season there'll be a Pro12 team or teams in so it'll be more than just one or two games?

Each team will only play one playoff game, and it won't clash with the final of the RCC, it will be during the domestic playoffs.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

From Wiki:

From the 2015-16 season, it will be a 4 team play-off between the 7th placed teams in the Top 14 and the English Premiership, and the 8th and 9th placed teams from PRO 12 (or the 2 highest finishing which have not already qualified automatically). In this 4 team play-off, if the winner of the second tier competition, the European Rugby Challenge Cup, has not qualified for the Champions Cup by league position, they will receive one of the play-off positions given to their respective league.
    So there has to be at least 2 games for the 1 spot if 4 teams are involved

Are you sure?

From Wiki:

From the 2015-16 season, it will be a 4 team play-off between the 7th placed teams in the Top 14 and the English Premiership, and the 8th and 9th placed teams from PRO 12 (or the 2 highest finishing which have not already qualified automatically). In this 4 team play-off, if the winner of the second tier competition, the European Rugby Challenge Cup, has not qualified for the Champions Cup by league position, they will receive one of the play-off positions given to their respective league.
    So there has to be at least 2 games for the 1 spot if 4 teams are involved

Well there are two places up for grab between the teams. Either way, it would make no difference if it's 1 game or 2 games, the teams will still definitely not be involved in their domestic playoffs which takes at minimum 2 game weeks in each of the leagues involved.

I thought there was only 1 spot available?

7 Pro12, 6 Aviva, 6 Top14, 1 playoff.

I agree that the teams won't be involved in the domestic play offs but having the RCC finished earlier could mean home and away games for the play offs could be used. I don't know if they've clarified exactly what the format will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

20th team in RCC is decided with a playoff between the 7th placed teams of the Top 14 and Premiership. 2 aggregate matches.

I think it's going to be something different in 2015/2016.

I thought there was only 1 spot available?

7 Pro12, 6 Aviva, 6 Top14, 1 playoff.

I agree that the teams won't be involved in the domestic play offs but having the RCC finished earlier could mean home and away games for the play offs could be used. I don't know if they've clarified exactly what the format will be.

Well originally the expanding of the playoffs after the first season was to be combined with removing the Pro12's extra team advantage. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changed at some point during negotations and there was just one place as there was this year, either way they can fit all that into the window between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the international window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any ideas when the fixture dates/times will be firmed up for these games? also the fixture dates/times for the European Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

How much are they paying to sponsor the league then and for how long?

Does this need a thread of its own?

Threads merged.

I don't think there's been any numbers released or even speculated on either so haven't a clue tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement