Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 2014/2015 Season thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

European games were played on non AIL weekends in the past. It was British /Irish Cup games which were played on these weekends.

Well its going to have some.impact on the club game but then if fixtures are announced well in advance clubs can maybe move their KO times around. In fact it might even help takings at the bar if say an AIL game kicks off at 12 and then the Ulster/Leinster/Munster/Connacht game is on sky at 2.30. Obviously that won't always be possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

European games were played on non AIL weekends in the past. It was British /Irish Cup games which were played on these weekends.

Actually the B&I cup was played on the same weekend as the HEC and there was a weekend in Dec last season when the AIL clashed with round 3 of the HEC. (It's going to happen this season too)

Anyways, there will only be one 3pm game each weekend clashing with the AIL. Seeing as each team is not going to be on Sky more that 3-4 times in the season, and the Pro12 has 4 weekends more than the AIL it's unlikely to create many clashes with local rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They're not letting the Heineken Cup name go easily, are they! (good to see confirmation that there will still be a FTA highlights show though)

Of interesting note is that Sky have almost certainly gone for both Leinster v Glasgow and Leinster v Munster then, since these don't feature on TG4's list. TG4 are also running a Pro12 highlights show this season which they didn't before except in exceptional cases (though obviously a necessity in the new era of Sky coverage). It's a pity they appear to be restricted to one FTA game per week when the Welsh have two.

icdg wrote: »
    It's a pity they appear to be restricted to one FTA game per week when the Welsh have two.

But Wales have 2 broadcasters covering the Pro 12 whereas ROI now only have TG4. If RTE had still been on board I guess there would have been 2 FTA games covered as long as Sky wasn't covering one.

Doesn't mean - in theory - that TG4 couldn't have covered two games, though I accept its budget probably wouldn't stretch to covering two home games in most weeks. However, there's no reason for example they couldn't take other broadcasters coverage (particularly Italian games, where the Italian TV coverage is not available in Ireland). Maybe they will - all but one of the games on that list are home games.

Obviously BBC NI will (hopefully) be covering any Ulster games not picked by Sky, so its not as bad as it looks at first instance, and satellite viewers (though not cable, unless they live in Dungarvan) will have access to Welsh and Scottish coverage too. That list would also seem to indicate that a Scottish partner has been found too - the one away game is Edinburgh v Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Doesn't mean - in theory - that TG4 couldn't have covered two games, though I accept its budget probably wouldn't stretch to covering two home games in most weeks. However, there's no reason for example they couldn't take other broadcasters coverage (particularly Italian games, where the Italian TV coverage is not available in Ireland). Maybe they will - all but one of the games on that list are home games.

It's complicated by their coverage of the GAA during the winter too. Two rugby matches plus one or two GAA games is a non runner

Of course I'd forgotten that, though that mainly hits from February onwards, when TG4 are contractually obliged to show their Allianz League TV picks on Sunday afternoons (Setanta having Saturdays). So it looks like these Sunday afternoon games S4C will have will be "lost" to cable viewers in Ireland unless someone else steps up to the plate.

So it looks like these Sunday afternoon games S4C will have will be "lost" to cable viewers in Ireland unless someone else steps up to the plate.

Don't forget you can watch S4C live online - http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_live.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Any sign of the dates and times? Bit frustrating that you can't plan ahead!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

neddynono wrote: »
    Any sign of the dates and times? Bit frustrating that you can't plan ahead!:mad:

Just thinking the same myself. I'm planning a trip away in September. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

Sky Sports Rugby ‏@SkySportsRugby 1m

Stayed tuned for confirmation of dates and times for #Pro12onSky, coming soon......
    Expand

About bloody time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm looking forward to Kammy reporting on the sideline at a miserable windy Sportsground! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Definitely won't spot a sending off!

Langerland wrote: »
    Definitely won't spot a sending off!

"The rain must have got in my eyes Jeff" :pac:

Hallelujah!!!

PRO12RUGBY ‏@PRO12rugby 19s

The 2014/15 #GUINNESSPRO12 fixtures (Up to Round 13) will be announced at 2.30pm today. #PRO12Rugby

Hallelujah!!!

The 2014/15 #GUINNESSPRO12 fixtures (Up to Round 13) will be announced at 2.30pm today. #PRO12Rugby

Finally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hallelujah!!!

Praise be! .....any miinute now so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Pro12 site updated

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster still on Friday nights when at home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

awec wrote: »
    Ulster still on Friday nights when at home! :)

Christmas game not decided it seems

The big development then, or lack thereof, is that there is still no NI deal done, although Sky have Ulster's first two fixtures anyway. BBC Alba get Scottish rights.

Double header for Sky on the first day, most other Sky fixtures at 14:40, though Leinster v Munster gets an 18:30 KO. Contrary to previous reports Munster v Leinster is a 5:00 KO on TG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

A lot of TBAs in terms of TV coverage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Really interested in seeing the Sky coverage on the opening day...

• Advertisement

Munster have 4 Friday nights...pain in the hole

Stephen's day against Leinster at 1700

New Years Day 1700 away to Connacht

.ak wrote: »
    A lot of TBAs in terms of TV coverage...

Mostly for Ulster's home games, which I alluded to in the Ulster thread last week. BBC NI unfortunately not a done deal and may be priced out of it. Will be terrible for UR if our home games go to pay tv because the Pro12 want more cash.

On other good news it looks like there's only 1 week where a Leinster home game clashes with an Ulster game so I'll not miss any! :)

The big problem for BBC NI is because they are only interested in Ulster, they may feel that once Sky takes the big games they won't have much left to cover (and sure enough there's a couple of Ulster fixtures on Sky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Will be terrible for UR if our home games are not televised at all

Fixed your post. I'd be worried of the above

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So RTE are definitely out of the Rabo then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Feels like a long time since Ulster didn't have a Munster-Leinster double header over Christmas? Or have I just got a terrible memory?

The big problem for BBC NI is because they are only interested in Ulster, they may feel that once Sky takes the big games they won't have much left to cover (and sure enough there's a couple of Ulster fixtures on Sky).

I believe BBC NI really want to take the Ulster games. However, until this season BBC NI dealt directly with Ulster Rugby when negotiating a deal. Ulster games are one of BBC NI's "local" programmes (I think all BBC subs have to produce x number of local shows).

This year it's centralised with the Pro12 demanding more money, and apparently BBC Wales have paid big bucks for their rights that BBC NI will struggle to match.

Setanta have entered the frame to take the games which would put more money in league pockets but be absolutely terrible for Ulster fans. Setanta is rubbish, virtually nobody has a subscription to it. Fans already have to fork out two subscriptions for European games from this season, to ask them to pay a third for league games will just be taking the absolute piss.
    Fixed your post. I'd be worried of the above

They will be covered by someone.

postitnote wrote: »
    Feels like a long time since Ulster didn't have a Munster-Leinster double header over Christmas? Or have I just got a terrible memory?

You are right :)

Fans already have to fork out two subscriptions for European games from this season, to ask them to pay a third for league games will just be taking the absolute piss.

To get access to BT sports you have to sign up to Setanta, so you wouldn't need a third subscription. Still a rubbish channel though.

Although I just realised that's it's different in NI, so you may actually need three subs

To get access to BT sports you have to sign up to Setanta, so you wouldn't need a third subscription. Still a rubbish channel though.

Although I just realised that's it's different in NI, so you may actually need three subs

Yes, getting BT Sport through Setanta only applies in the ROI, presumably because BT don't supply any other services here. Everywhere else it's seperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Yes, getting BT Sport through Setanta only applies in the ROI, presumably because BT don't supply any other services here. Everywhere else it's seperate.

Setanta don't operate at all in the UK I thought? Can't imagine they'll be going after the Ulster games, more likely they'll be looking for delayed coverage of matches as in the past.

You are right :)

they've moved Leinster-Munster to Xmas instead

They do, directly in NI and through their affiliate Premier Sports (which is essentially the same channel as Setanta Sports 1 here) in Great Britain. However as their biggest draw, 3pm Premier League kick offs, are blocked in NI, I can't imagine anyone but diehard GAA fans (who may take it for their league coverage) subscribes in NI

I hadn't heard they had entered the frame - that's a surprise development. It'd be great if they could pick up the rights to the BBC Wales, S4C, and Alba games that aren't available on cable here.

They do, directly in NI and through their affiliate Premier Sports (which is essentially the same channel as Setanta Sports 1 here) in Great Britain. However as their biggest draw, 3pm Premier League kick offs, are blocked in NI, I can't imagine anyone but diehard GAA fans (who may take it for their league coverage) subscribes in NI

Yea, virtually nobody in NI has it any more cause there's nothing on it. A few years ago they were showing Premier League games UK wide (and failed at that, just before ESPN tried and failed).

It would be amusing if BT put in a late bid for the remaining games. I'd prefer that to Setanta anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Suppose it's ancient history at this stage but what happened with the Sky Sports vs RTE competing for Pro 12 rights? Looked back from a few reports from last summer and looked like SS would be broadcasting 30 games in addition to RTE. Was it that RTE knew SS would be getting the games they got now (14 of 16 announced involve at least 1 Irish province) and didn't think it be worth their while competing? Or was it that once RTE pulled out (acc to Gerry Thornley to focus on WC which they might not even get) , SS was assigned those particular matches?

Have SS myself so not overly bothered but can see how it would be annoying for fans. Lot of people don't have it and trip to the pub not very feasible for every game.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Suppose it's ancient history at this stage but what happened with the Sky Sports vs RTE competing for Pro 12 rights? Looked back from a few reports from last summer and looked like SS would be broadcasting 30 games in addition to RTE. Was it that RTE knew SS would be getting the games they got now (14 of 16 announced involve at least 1 Irish province) and didn't think it be worth their while competing? Or was it that once RTE pulled out (acc to Gerry Thornley to focus on WC which they might not even get) , SS was assigned those particular matches?

Have SS myself so not overly bothered but can see how it would be annoying for fans. Lot of people don't have it and trip to the pub not very feasible for every game.

Don't think they were really competing - no free-to-air channel can compete financially with Sky for rights.

RTE new Sky would be getting 30 games of their choosing and presumably decided not to bother to compete with TG4 for the rest. Sky weren't assigned any games, they got the right to have first choice of fixtures with some stipulations (for example they cannot pick a fixture and it's reverse).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NorthDown2

I know the situation for us in Northern Ireland for tv is obscure as there is no broadcaster currently. However, it is clear that to watch some matches, a Sky subscription is needed. Is there any hope of BBC Radio Ulster bidding for radio rights of these games, similar to the coverage for the former Heineken cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it says an announcement is imminent which means they have a broadcaster lined up but probably means BBCNI and PRO12 are haggling for the last bit of money. I cant see Setanta being interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NorthDown2

I see that Radio Scotland seems to be showing interest in broadcasting commentaries on the first couple of weekends
    (BBC website address and add the path) /sport/0/rugby-union/28746205
    How often have they in the past broadcast matches? I don't recall hearing a commentary of a Pro12 match on Radio Scotland before.

it says an announcement is imminent which means they have a broadcaster lined up but probably means BBCNI and PRO12 are haggling for the last bit of money. I cant see Setanta being interested in it.

I definitely hope Setanta don't get Ulster home games. Scottish/Welsh viewers have FTA coverage so why not NI rugby viewers?

What about UTV? Are they in the running? They could sell advertising too. Finding room in their schedule might be a problem though.

bilston wrote: »
    What about UTV? Are they in the running? They could sell advertising too. Finding room in their schedule might be a problem though.

Do UTV cover any local sport? Not sure theyd have the ability to do it.

• Advertisement

Ten or even five years ago they could have done it, not now though, they haven't covered any live sport in their own right in years. The 2007 World Cup was the last time they covered live rugby (they mounted their own production for Ireland games).

That's not to say they couldn't buy in the facilities though if they wanted to. But I doubt it.

Advertisement