Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in: Mountjoy square park

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

I and my wife are moving to Dublin (from Galway) and we need some advice. I've read a lot about safe/non safe areas, but our best rent offer right now lies in a small apartment a bit west of Mountjoy square park (10 second on foot from the park, actually).

I already know that it's not the safest place in town but the last post about that area in this forum is dated 2012. Two years later, how is the situation?

From our house we need to:

1) Go through the (in)famous summerhill every morning (at around 8-9 AM) to reach Connolly station to catch the dart line

2) Come back from Connolly station (i.e. pass again in summerhill) at 7-9 PM top.

3) Go back home at around 11 pm -1 am from the city center after a drink with friends (not every day of course, mostly weekends)

What are our chances to survive one year? :D We don't care about seeing dodgy characters on the streets, as long as they don't threat us with a knife to our neck if we go nearer than 10m from them :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I lived there six years ago. fresh blood stains every morning. some would have you believe its grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Going to/from work shouldn't be a problem. It's a busy enough area at that time of the day. I'd feel fairly confident around 11ish too, as the pubs are still open & there would be people still knocking around. 1ish...I dunno....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I wouldn't do it, not point 3. My friends lived there and I attended some events nearby... Not worth it IMHO. Not a nice vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrZero00

It's so bad uh? Well the other option right now is East Road, East Wall. It's a bit far from the city center for my tastes, but what do you think of that zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I would walk past it in the morning and up to around 10 at night (occasionally) and never had a problem. Don't find myself heading back through there later than that, as if I'm out drinking it wouldn't be around there, or east of O'Connell Street.

Never seen blood stains at all, let alone fresh ones every day. Must have changed in the last six years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Been living in the vicinity for 15 years. It's no more dangerous than anywhere else in the city IMO. Summerhill is a pale shadow of it's diciest days, since the flats came down, and getting to and from Connolly should be as thrilling as any other 15 minute walk through the city would be.

You'll be grand - because it is grand, and you won't see fresh blood stains every morning. Just employ typical common sense. Bad stuff can happen anywhere in the city, but it's not the norm, unlike some would have you believe.

Have been walking through Mountjoy square late at night for donkey's years and never had any hassle - though it is a bit dark, particularly on the north side, so I can see how it might seem intimidating. Phone theft is a bad problem all over the north inner city however, so just don't go flashing iPhones about to all and sundry - as I say common sense stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If you're both getting the DART then why not move closer to work? Where are you working? The money you'd spend on the DART might give you a better location if you can afford to live nearer to work.

If you're both getting the DART then why not move closer to work? Where are you working? The money you'd spend on the DART might give you a better location if you can afford to live nearer to work.

My wife needs to reach Blackrock and I'll work at the east point business park. Blackrock is a bit expensive for my tastes. I can find a house near the east point business park, I guess, but it's Dublin 3 and I heard even worse stories there. That's why I asked about East Road, East Wall as well, anyway. Also, I think I can techically reach east point BP from Mountjoy on foot, it's not a big deal a 30 minutes walk for me.

Anyway it's just one year: once we have a better understanding of the city we'll move again, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I lived just off Mountjoy Square for over a year and never once went through Summerhill to get to Connolly Station, just walked straight down Gardiner Street and then across Talbot Street. Fresh blood stains every morning is, in my experience, not something you're going to see. Walking home from town at night was always completely fine, mostly because Parnell Street is still busy till the very early hours of the morning (it's Korean & Chinese restaurant central) and other streets around there tend to have hotels on them so it's you and, generally, a few hotel guests shuffling home at all hours.

I really like the area, it's affordable relative to the rest of Dublin, some extremely pretty Georgian buildings, a short walk into the city centre and close to lots of public transport. Also, near Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi, 2 Tescos, the Lovinspoon, 147 Deli, Pho Viet, WJ Kavanghs, the Hop House and many, many Asian supermarkets.

Have to say - one thing I did see a *lot* of was opportunistic theft. Not so much muggings but, as alastair mentioned, people walking around with their phones or wallets in their hands not paying attention and then *yoink* some little git had it and was legging it down a back alley towards the flats we lived behind. You do have to keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

alastair wrote: »
    Have been walking through Mountjoy square late at night for donkey's years and never had any hassle - though it is a bit dark, particularly on the north side, so I can see how it might seem intimidating.

Dublin is lit very poorly for a city and it gives the impression of roughness or unsafeness. Even the city centre around college green or Grafton street suffers from this. Compare it with other European cities and you'll see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Pretty much what MissFlitworth said; it's less dangerous and more pickpocket types.
    As for having to go through Summerhill... you don't need to. You could easily avoid it completely, sort of.

You could turn from the park into Gardiner Street which you can come down south onto Talbot Street and then turn onto Aimens Street which all in all, it'd be maybe at most 4-5 minutes extra walk.
    As for coming home after a few drinks, if you're technically in the city centre, you could just come up Parnell Street from O'Connell Street and turn into Mountjoy Square.

Where abouts are you going to exactly? Because if it was slightly west of the park then you'd be closer to Gardiner Street than Summerhill which would mean you'd want to go through the route I said above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saipanne wrote: »
    I lived there six years ago. fresh blood stains every morning. some would have you believe its grand though.

Still alive I see, despite the blood stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree with a lot of Miss Flitworth's post. I used to live in the apts behind Connolly Station. Whenever I walked to Croke Park, Drumcondra, the Mater etc etc, I generally walked up Talbot St, to Gardiner St and past Mountjoy Square, to where ever I was going. I never went via Summerhill/the North Circular Rd/Five Lamps, unless it was a Sunday afternoon in the middle of summer, I was going to Croke Park & there were loads of match goers and tourists around. I just got a better vibe walking up Gardiner St.

There is usually a fair amount of junkies congregating around Talbot St/Connolly Station, as one of the methadone treatment centres are there. I'd see them yelling and shouting at each other & sometimes hassling tourists or commuters for a few bob. If you aren't used to seeing that kind of thing on a day to day basis, it can be quite shocking and off putting at first. I never really quite got used to it. But after a while it kind of goes over your head. Overall, I'd say that the positives of living in that part of Dublin far, far outweighed the bad.

I lived there for nearly 2 yrs & I never saw any violent crimes committed, or experienced anything bad personally. But the evidence of the gritty side of inner city living, was never very far away. I suppose it all boils down to what level of it you are comfortable with. If it is only for a year & you are wise and you are aware of certain precautions you'd have to take, I'd say go for it. As MissFlintworth said, having the entire city centre on your doorstep is pretty damm great.

OP, have you considered the IFSC? It starts at Connolly and goes all the way down to the Point/O2? You would have Connolly and the Luas on your door step. Or if you want to go a little further out, what about Killester or Clontarf? You would still be within walking distance of East Point, the shuttle bus that runs from the Clontard Rd DART station and, your wife could still get the DART out to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I walk through Summerhill every morning from 6.30 to 7.30 depending on how early I need to get to work. I have never had any issues. All I would recommend is not to wear earphones, as I have freaked myself out in the past thinking someone was behind me when there wasn't! The area is alot more diverse these days and people for the most part keep to themselves.

I used to live further down the NCR and used to walk to Connolly via Gardiner Street and it too was absolutely fine. Alot of what is written about the North Inner City is overexaggerated. It has its problems like all areas but it's not as awful as some people make it out to be.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, have you considered the IFSC? It starts at Connolly and goes all the way down to the Point/O2? You would have Connolly and the Luas on your door step. Or if you want to go a little further out, what about Killester or Clontarf? You would still be within walking distance of East Point, the shuttle bus that runs from the Clontard Rd DART station and, your wife could still get the DART out to Blackrock.

Thanks, I'll have a look there as well. I found good offers in Fairview as well. And one in East Wall. Are those good areas?

spurious wrote: »
    Still alive I see, despite the blood stains.

Yes, because simply surviving is the only criteria needed to live somewhere.

I choose to live somewhere where people are not being stabbed/assaulted on my door step.

Maybe I'm a snob.

Yes, because simply surviving is the only criteria needed to live somewhere.

I choose to live somewhere where people are not being stabbed/assaulted on my door step.

Maybe I'm a snob.

Or a fantasist. Your representation of Mountjoy Square is certainly not based on any facts.

Or a fantasist. Your representation of Mountjoy Square is certainly not based on any facts.

Perhaps I witnessed the aftermath of a ketchup fight.

Several times in one month.

Thank god I moved away from that area. The thought of a ketchup fight is scary.

Perhaps I witnessed the aftermath of a ketchup fight.

Several times in one month.

Thank god I moved away from that area. The thought of a ketchup fight is scary.

Again - I've lived here for 15 years, and would have noticed if blood (or ketchup for that matter) was a normal part of the landscape. It isn't.

Can I point out that people can get assaulted/stabbed in any part of the city - so quite why you think Fairview is going to be a safe haven eludes me.

Can I point out that people can get assaulted/stabbed in any part of the city - so quite why you think Fairview is going to be a safe haven eludes me.

I get fairview is not a good place either? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you going to be killed anywhere in Dublin? Very unlikely.
    Are you going to be robbed anywhere in Dublin? Also unlikely.
    Is there a chance bad things can happen people in any part of Dublin? Yes.

We're not talking Mogadishu here.

Living in North Strand ('Oh my God!' say the sheltered ones, 'Such horror!') for over twenty years. Never saw blood on the path, never had anything of interest happen really apart from a bus engine going on fire at the end of the road.

Again - I've lived here for 15 years, and would have noticed if blood (or ketchup for that matter) was a normal part of the landscape. It isn't.

Well stalked. But I never said it was safe, nor do I live there.

Weird.

spurious wrote: »
    Are you going to be killed anywhere in Dublin? Very unlikely.
    Are you going to be robbed anywhere in Dublin? Also unlikely.
    Is there a chance bad things can happen people in any part of Dublin? Yes.

We're not talking Mogadishu here.

Living in North Strand ('Oh my God!' say the sheltered ones, 'Such horror!') for over twenty years. Never saw blood on the path, never had anything of interest happen really apart from a bus engine going on fire at the end of the road.

I'm just saying what I saw. I'm genuinely surprised that people are getting in a flap over it.

Funny, though. Really don't see the need for the reaction. I said a street is bad. So what?

I'm just saying what I saw. I'm genuinely surprised that people are getting in a flap over it.

Funny, though. Really don't see the need for the reaction. I said a street is bad. So what?

Probably something to do with this:
    fresh blood stains every morning

If you insist on making nonsensical claims, why be surprised if you get called on it?

Probably something to do with this:

If you insist on making nonsensical claims, why be surprised if you get called on it?

Because its what I saw. With my eyes. So, unless I suffer from visual hallucinations, it requires an interpretation. Ergo, someone got hurt.

That's the reason I left, actually. Especially when I saw one on my doorstep. I thought, this isn't worth the cheap rent, and I left.

I think I made the right choice.

And, again, so what? A stranger on boards said a street is bad. No need to get stressed over it.

Anyway, I'm going to unfollow this thread. I'm not trying to wind people up, but I seem to be having that effect. Given the choice, I would not move there. That is all.

Because its what I saw. With my eyes. So, unless I suffer from visual hallucinations, it requires an interpretation. Ergo, someone got hurt.

That's the reason I left, actually. Especially when I saw one on my doorstep. I thought, this isn't worth the cheap rent, and I left.

I think I made the right choice.

And, again, so what? A stranger on boards said a street is bad. No need to get stressed over it.

No-one is stressed, but to return to the issue - you said:
    fresh blood stains every morning

Nonsensical hyperbole tbh, so why should anyone buy into your claims about the area thereafter?

I'll stake my 15 years experience of living in the area over comical bluster any day, and so should anyone interested in the reality of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Worse thing I see when walking through Mountjoy/Gardiner St. area is dog crap on the ground. As mentioned, don't go waving your phone around but that pretty much goes for anywhere in the city centre at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

MrZero00 wrote: »
    My wife needs to reach Blackrock and I'll work at the east point business park. Blackrock is a bit expensive for my tastes. I can find a house near the east point business park, I guess, but it's Dublin 3 and I heard even worse stories there. That's why I asked about East Road, East Wall as well, anyway. Also, I think I can techically reach east point BP from Mountjoy on foot, it's not a big deal a 30 minutes walk for me.

Anyway it's just one year: once we have a better understanding of the city we'll move again, I think.

I live in Dublin 3 (Fairview/Clontarf area) and it's a lovely area, I don't feel unsafe at all (even though I'm a foreigner). It's very quiet whilst very close to the city centre (10 min by bus) and there is loads of families with kids around. I would definitely recommend it. I havent lived near Mountjoy square myself but I do know people living there and they don't feel safe or comfortable to walk around at night at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Because its what I saw. With my eyes
    Jesus there are some total saddos on Boards. Fresh bloodstains every morning indeed. What the hell do they get out of making this stuff up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP you say you're going to move again in a years time but the Dublin rental market is pretty chronic at the moment, if I were you I'd be making sure to get this move right and not be regretting it 2 weeks into a 52 week lease.

I drive through Summerhill/Gardiner St a bit, I dont think it's as rough as some people make out but be aware that after the pubs close some dodgy stuff sometimes happens. For me it's not an area I would choose to live in Dublin. With your requirements of Clontarf/Blackrock you have the whole of the Dart lime available to you. If living city centre is important then as someone else said the IFSC is a good option.

Advertisement