Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Dalkey

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

As a long time reader, lurker and occasional contributor to Boards I was quite sad to see Peter Dalkey "account closed".
    Thank you for all you contributed. Your honest advice will be missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I will second that in a big way!!

He went to great rounds and into great detail to offer advice to a lot of people on a diverse number of queries.

Thanks for all the valuable information Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Definitely a big loss he was always quick with some excellent advice for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ironic that his last post was a link to some mentor sites.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

That's a pity, he advised me to contact DLRCC about opening our pop up shop and even popped in one day to say hello. Really appreciated his help.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

As a long time reader, lurker and occasional contributor to Boards I was quite sad to see Peter Dalkey "account closed".
    Thank you for all you contributed. Your honest advice will be missed.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

jimmii wrote: »
    Definitely a big loss he was always quick with some excellent advice for people.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Id say with all the ideas he's after picking up here,he's going to mash them all together to become the next Denis O'Brien.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

A great poster and I worked with him on a project too - Ireland needs more Peter Dalkeys!

My guess is that he probably thought he was spending too much time on here - not in a bad way - it's just easy to spend a lot of time on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Bye Pete great advice with good humour and no bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scobyone

I've only used boards recently and really just browse a few sections of interest.Even after a few short months of activity,it was obvious he was very knowledgeable and I always made a point of reading his opinion or advice. A good guy, definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

A pity indeed, I have done some business with him too over the years and always found him to be very straight and brutally honest in his views, not that popular in these days of the "politically correct". Past his sell by date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Mod edit:

Please do not post about a users business, it has nothing to do with the thread and while may have been meant well it shouldnt be posted.

Thanks

skelligs wrote: »
    Mod edit:

Please do not post about a users business, it has nothing to do with the thread and while may have been meant well it shouldnt be posted.

Thanks

Who posted about his business?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Atomico wrote: »
    Who posted about his business?

I'm guessing skelligs!

Has anyone been able to ask him why he left?

jimmii wrote: »
    I'm guessing skelligs!

Has anyone been able to ask him why he left?

Yeah was on mobile but actually guessed that as Skelligs didn't look like a mod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

The reason was snipped which is fair enough. I do hope that such an articulate and straight talking contributor as Peter will come back on here and start a tread on the subject in the future. For now best of luck to him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod Note:

I already posted not to post about a users business or personal life, it has nothing to do with the thread. If he decides at some point to post again on boards and wants to discuss the topic thats fair enough but its up to him. Take that as a final warning, next time its bans all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

While not defined in the Charter for this forum, I do accept your reasoning and sense of fairness in this case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pedronomix wrote: »
    While not defined in the Charter

It's an overall boards rule.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pedronomix wrote: »
    While not defined in the Charter for this forum

Just because something isn't in a charter doesn't mean its allowed. Common sense comes into play as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The former peterdalkey

I have opened a temporary new boards.ie account to say how very humbled and indeed greatly flattered I have been by all the very kind comments on this thread. It had been noted that I have closed my business and appointed a liquidator. I do not intend to go into the detail other than to say that all creditor and Revenue payments were made as due, up to the day we shut down. I was personally the largest unsecured creditor and was owed several times the total of the trade creditors.

The greatest pain however, was that 26 really great people have lost their jobs and livelihoods. The employee with least service had been with the company for nearly 11 years and there were several with over 30 years there. I have managed to find employment for some already and am doing my best to find jobs for as many of the others that I can.

I have to say the most surprising aspect of this very difficult experience has been the total lack of any personal abuse from staff or creditors, quite the reverse in fact. I had dreaded the prospect of such events. We did our best to act honourably and sadly our best and mine in particular, was just not good enough. There are a lot of decent and generous spirited people out there and their kindness will always be greatly appreciated.

I am in my early 60’s and am extremely fortunate to have a great family, good health and an overactive mind. I have been offered a number of very interesting roles and projects of huge diversity, from a ready to hit the market Irish tech start up with global customers to a major infrastructure development. I will have enough activity to stave off my only great fear, a pathological aversion to the possibility of boredom.
    I am happy that some of my contributions on here were of some use to the odd poster. To those with whom I crossed swords, all I can say is that I am probably as thin skinned as them and I got over it!!

My parting comment is to urge those giving advice not to proffer Isead Business School type suggestions to a bloke starting a vegetable round!

My parting comment is to urge those giving advice not to proffer Isead Business School type suggestions to a bloke starting a vegetable round!

Very good :D

I'll be expecting you to bounce back quickly Peter!

Having worked with you on a project Peter none of the above surprises me, I only wish more clients had been as direct and as enjoyable to deal with when I was consulting!

I would say you'll bounce back but that's stating the obvious, and with all the skills and experience your employees will have built up over the years I am sure they will all find new jobs of their own without much difficulty.

Advertisement