Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What potential routes are there for me to take to extending my stay/getting residency

Options
  • 03-06-2014 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I first came to Canada in summer (mid May) 2012 on the older working holiday visa. I spent the summer near Ottawa working in a rafting company before going home in September to take my place on a PDE (teaching) in NUIG.

While that was going on, I applied and was successful in getting a 2 year working holiday visa. I returned to Ottawa last May, worked another summer there and moved to BC for the winter, where I worked as a baker and a cook. Now I'm back working in the rafting company for a third summer, and trying to form some idea of where to go next.

While I'd be happy returning to my previous winter jobs and letting my visa run its course, I also don't want to wrap up next May and leave behind all the friends I've made and the girl I've been dating. I also feel like I've taken enough time moving around and working seasons that I'd like to find a solid job that will last me a while.

Here's my predicament: I can't teach on my current visa (unless I've misunderstood the terms on it). I can't get a job in the field I'm qualified in without a visa, yet as far as I can see the only chance of getting another visa is with a job offer.

I'd love to be told that I'm over analysing this situation but there's so much information out there and I have no idea where to look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I first came to Canada in summer (mid May) 2012 on the older working holiday visa. I spent the summer near Ottawa working in a rafting company before going home in September to take my place on a PDE (teaching) in NUIG.

While that was going on, I applied and was successful in getting a 2 year working holiday visa. I returned to Ottawa last May, worked another summer there and moved to BC for the winter, where I worked as a baker and a cook. Now I'm back working in the rafting company for a third summer, and trying to form some idea of where to go next.

While I'd be happy returning to my previous winter jobs and letting my visa run its course, I also don't want to wrap up next May and leave behind all the friends I've made and the girl I've been dating. I also feel like I've taken enough time moving around and working seasons that I'd like to find a solid job that will last me a while.

Here's my predicament: I can't teach on my current visa (unless I've misunderstood the terms on it). I can't get a job in the field I'm qualified in without a visa, yet as far as I can see the only chance of getting another visa is with a job offer.

I'd love to be told that I'm over analysing this situation but there's so much information out there and I have no idea where to look.

They don't make it easy....... I doubt very much that you're misunderstanding the terms of your visa. Canadian Work Permits are very specific as to what work you are allowed to do. Teaching is unfortunately not one of the professions that is in demand in Canada. In fact loads of Canadian teachers are working abroad as English teachers in countries like Korea and Taiwan.

http://www.workingin-canada.com/visa/skills-in-demand/occupations-in-demand

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Is it possible to change your status to a student visa to be able to get the post graduate work permit? It's the one you can get for up to 3 years with almost no restrictions. Then if you are hired by a company- depending on the position you are in- you can apply for your PR card...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

look into the cost for foreign students to attend college/uni in Canada. You will not be issued with a student visa unless a place on a course is offered and paid for. Fees can range from 3-30k per semester for university courses for foreigners

Advertisement