Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert stress - No need

Options
  • 03-06-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I posted this elsewhere...but others mightn't see it so I'll put it here

The best advice anyone can give about the Junior Cert...is don't worry about it at all.
    It has no bearing or consequence on anything to do with the rest of your life.

When you are 18 you will not be asked how you did on your Junior Cert.
    When applying for jobs, for colleges, for universities or any course...you will not be asked how you did or what you got on your Junior Cert.

It is just a guide for yourself to see how good you are doing and what you need to work on if you intend on doing a really good Leaving Cert.

Although in your head it is a big thing, and you may be stressing over it....do yourself a favour...and ask ANYONE over the age of 21....how important is the Junior Cert ?

I would be surprised if anyone said anything other than 'not at all'

However, that is not to say you shouldn't study or try.
    In any test you take or anything you do, you should give it your best effort.
    If you want to get 100% then all power to you and go and study as best you can to get that result.

But the fact remains that too much importance is put on this exam, that means absolutely NOTHING in the long run. By the time you're in 5th year you'll even realise how little it meant...and by that time you'll probably be worrying about the Leaving Cert (which in fairness actually means something)

Don't stress out too much over you Junior Cert. Take it for what it is, just a test, if you pass well done, if you fail well then maybe you should study more in the future or try to realise where you fell down.

It is not a measure of your intelligence, it is not a pathway for your future career , it is not a thing you can use for bragging rights or putting others down. It is just a test, as meaningful and as meaningless as the one you did in 2nd year and the one you will do in 5th year.

I'm obviously an adult at this stage , so giving my experienced view. I finished school, went to 2 universities, worked for many years at a big company, and travelled the world. My Junior cert never came up in questioning after 3rd year, it was never on a CV, it was never asked about in an interview.

You'll all be ok ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is, however, sometimes used by schools to detemine what class you are in for LC, so it's worth trying your best at.
    It is also an exam designed to maximise your success. so if you have done the work you will be rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

If I decided to apply for Queen's University Belfast to do medicine, for example, they actually use a combination of your JC results and the UKCAT when deciding to call you for an interview! And apparently you can't apply without an A in Science! So kind of does matter.. (If)

Advertisement