Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader - please quick advise

• 03-06-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,

I am setting up as a Sole trader ( have a retail website ). I have sent out docs to register Business name already.

Now i am about to send Tax registration TR1. But i would like to start selling now already, but need the registration number for invoices for my suppliers.

Is the registration number going to be my PPS anyway so i can start using it now, or will it be different number and i have to wait for it to be posted to me?

Thanks very much for any advise!

Appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

Hi guys,

I am setting up as a Sole trader ( have a retail website ). I have sent out docs to register Business name already.

Now i am about to send Tax registration TR1. But i would like to start selling now already, but need the registration number for invoices for my suppliers.

Is the registration number going to be my PPS anyway so i can start using it now, or will it be different number and i have to wait for it to be posted to me?

Thanks very much for any advise!

Appreciated

Well I am self employed and my PPS is my vat number.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 infoinfoinfo

And do you need any other number in relation to your contracts or invoices? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

And do you need any other number in relation to your contracts or invoices? Thanks

No and all my dealings with revenue are with my PPS number. It just seems to be the one and only.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 infoinfoinfo

OK, thanks. So it seems that i might start selling now and use my PPS for everything. But you have received a confirmation that you registered, true?

And all taxes are due October 2014, true?

Many thanks for your answers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Verwolff

I sent my TR1 more than week ago. I recived no confirmation, nothing up to now.

This is why I was looking on this topic, because I wasn't sure, can I start now or not.

According to posts which I found here, it seems that no need to wait for any confirmation, am I right?

I am planning to import goods from other EU country so I checked VIES and it says that my PPS is not in system.

Is there any other application necessary to be included in VIES system or need to wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Its your PPS number with IE in front of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hang on

You have to have confirmation from the revenue that you are registered for VAT. There are various checks that the revenue must do before they complete this process. Even though as a sole trader your VAT number will be the same as your PPS number you cannot go ahead and quote it as your VAT number unless you get the word from revenue that you are VAT registered.

It normally takes 10 working days but it can take up to a month depending on how busy they are. If you need it in a hurry then you should ring revenue to make sure that they got your form TR1/TR2 and ask them how long it will be before your case will be processed and the VAT number issues.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Verwolff

Buttercake wrote: »
    Its your PPS number with IE in front of it
    Yes, I know it, but why it's not in VIES? I was told by foreign company that I'll be charged vat if they will not be able confirm my number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You have to register first. Everyones PPS number with IE infront isn't automatically VAT registered. If you are importing from outside the EU then you probably want to register for EORI as well. When I filled in my TR1 I remember it taking quite a while before I heard back. No way round paying VAT for goods until you have it.

Advertisement