Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series of Gardai Raid in Waterford this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Any idea what areas the raids were made in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was wondering that, heard nothing other than a helimacopter about 15 minutes ago and that could have been anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Over 40 arrests so far and more are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

This is what WLR is saying

"Up to a 100 gardai were involved in a series of raids against house and business in Waterford City this morning.Gardai say as part of an ongoing intelligence-led operation into organised criminal activity in Waterford, a number of searches were carried out at various addresses in Waterford City. This operation which has been ongoing in Waterford for some time is targetting a criminal organisation based in Waterford City and their illegal activities including illegal money lending. The searches were carried out by Gardai based in Waterford Division, assisted by Officers from the Criminal Assets Bureau, Regional Support Units, Organised Crime Unit, Air Support Unit and Garda Dog Unit"

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/3328-garda-raids-target-organised-criminal-activity-in-waterford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

Guards all over ballybeg this Morning, I saw going to work and the helicopter is flying over every few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Guards all over ballybeg this Morning, I saw going to work and the helicopter is flying over every few minutes.

That's only for the poor ol kitten stuck in the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What?! Someone from Ballybeg actually works?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ballybeg and Johns Park both targeted about 6am, feckin helicopters

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What?! Someone from Ballybeg actually works?

:)

I work there, I don't live there

kryogen wrote: »
    Ballybeg and Johns Park both targeted about 6am, feckin helicopters

Up to 120 Guards involved. Absolutely delighted with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Yep, me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Money lending though? 40 arrests for money lending? Unless they are rounding up bank tellers I can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why? Don't see the big deal, a huge number of arrests made last year too in one go, nothing came of it.

See what happens from here but nothing to get excited about just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any idea on businesses targeted by cops?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Between this and the bomb scare for the Sinn Fein celebration, what is Waterford coming to!!

I work there, I don't live there

I was only messing.
    padraig.od wrote: »
    Money lending though? 40 arrests for money lending? Unless they are rounding up bank tellers I can't see it.

They've also been involved in threats and intimidation, burning people out of their homes and beating people up.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Why? Don't see the big deal, a huge number of arrests made last year too in one go, nothing came of it.

See what happens from here but nothing to get excited about just yet

True but it's a start.

CAB being involved should mean a few bodies are taken.

They should use the whole state against these type - social welfare, health dept, customs etc - get them one way or another.

Apparently the esb are cutting their electricity, because they had tapped into it and weren't getting charged

Apparently the esb are cutting their electricity, because they had tapped into it and weren't getting charged

And then people try defend these groups of people buy saying their treated unfairly by settled people. ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think previous arrests were fact finding missions, evidence gathering. They said on the radio this operation is drawing towards a close so I suspect charges will follow in due course. Illegal money lending but when those can't pay back, measures are taken to attempt at getting the funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You can see it's multi-layered. First off, there is the illegal money lending, and the extortion of money from vulnerabe people.

They'll retain people's social welfare cards, and divert money which is paid out by the state to support them.

If those vulnerable people are unable to pay, they're open to all sorts of other types of extortion, such as helping out with other criminal activity.

There is also the criminal assets side of it as well which I assume is a large part of the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It would be lovely to see those crippled by debts owed to loan sharks being able to walk away and rebuild their lives a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

At least the people of Waterford are safe for a few hours until they are all let out again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

you could name some of them if you wanted too lol

How many businesses were raided today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

according to that wlr link no arrests have been made so far

I wonder do the WLR know the difference between arrest and charged, just sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

the media is corrupted anyway

Advertisement