Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a sky dish with a freeview box?

• 03-06-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm on UPC and my TV has built in Saorview. However I have a projector and wanted to get a cheap Saorview box to watch the World Cup on the projector in HD.

Was in PC World yesterday and noticed a combined Soarview/Freeview box, with recording capabilities (when connected to a USB drive) and the likes of BBC and ITV in HD.

We're on the basic UPC tv package and wouldn't miss any of the channels we'd lose by dropping it and switching to freeview (plus getting the UK terrestrial channels in HD would be a big plus) so I'm looking into this.

When we moved into this apartment we were told that it's wired for both UPC and Sky, whichever we wanted, and having followed the wires yesterday I see we have two leads coming in from our own Sky dish into the apartment.

So my questions are
    1) Can I use a sky dish with a freeview box (even if it isn't a Sky box)?
    2) If the place is wired for Sky, with a dish, is it safe to assume the dish is properly aligned to receive freeview? I.E. Do both Sky dishes and freeview dishes point in the same direction?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You wont have any issues based on what you've said.
    No need to move the dish either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

We use a skydish for both, one sky box in the sitting room, one freeview box in the kitchen.

You won't have any problems!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Kuenssberg

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Was in PC World yesterday and noticed a combined Soarview/Freeview box, with recording capabilities (when connected to a USB drive) and the likes of BBC and ITV in HD.

... So my questions are
    1) Can I use a sky dish with a freeview box (even if it isn't a Sky box)?

Freeview is the UK terrestrial TV service, only available in Northern Ireland & limited areas of ROI.

If you're actually talking about a combi terrestrial/satellite box, with the capability to receive free-to-air satellite services then, yes it will work with a Sky dish, as the same signal is used by Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I would think yes - all point to the same satellite (Astra).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

freesat box not freeview

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its no wonder dodgy installers can make hay! :pac:

kooga wrote: »
    freesat box not freeview

Freesat, like Freeview, is a brandname, the main attraction of which is a proper EPG. OP seems to be referring to a combi box & there are no Freesat combis.

It will be generic free-to-air satellite, maybe with Saorview approval on the terrestrial side, maybe not.

Kuenssberg wrote: »
    Freesat, like Freeview, is a brandname, the main attraction of which is a proper EPG. OP seems to be referring to a combi box & there are no Freesat combis.

It will be generic free-to-air satellite, maybe with Saorview approval on the terrestrial side, maybe not.

i am aware of that but a combi box requires an aerial the op mentioned connecting to a sky dish!

kooga wrote: »
    ... a combi box requires an aerial the op mentioned connecting to a sky dish!

I thought "combi box" as referred to in these forums, is taken as a receiver with both satellite & terrestrial tuner(s)?

So Sky dish for the satellite side?

I'm working on the assumption that the OP mention of "Freeview" is simply a mistake in terminology & that the receiver in question is a terrestrial/satellite combi, with or without Saorview approval.

your correct a combi box has both satellite and terrestial tuners but to receive the signals needs to be connected to a dish and an aerial. So sky dish for satellite side is correct (to get the uk channels). these combis can be either saorview approved or not. No saorview approved boxes miss certain features.

The OP uses of the term freeview is incorrect, freeview is the uk terrestial tv system the equivalent to our saorview.

I hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

For clarity it is a combi box, have used the aerial for the Irish terrestrial channels with success, having difficulty with using the Sky dish to pick up UK channels. Am scanning but not receiving anything, have one of the two leads from the dish plugged into the LNB in port at the back of the combi box. Have tried swapping the leads but no joy. May bring the box to a friends' house and try a scan there soon if I don't get any further soon, but will have to wait a few days at least before I can do that.

Maybe you're not scanning the right satellite position?

Might be no harm to post the make & model of the receiver, along with the steps you are taking in the installation menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

It's a 4ife SV-401. Scanning Astra 28.2.

The dish was set up from the Sky used by the previous occupier, dish pointing in the same direction as the other apartments.

I'm going menu -> Satellite Chennel Search -> 011 028.2E Ku_Astra 2A,2B,2D -> Press blue to scan. Scan mode default, Crypted: all channels, Service Type: All.

Advertisement