Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonsered ride on - Not engaging drive

• 03-06-2014 10:20am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Have a Jonsered LT2217CMA, have it from new, used probably 20 times.
    AFter each cut I use the hose to clean it all over, get rid of the grass and I take the box off and clean down the shoots and then drive it into the shed.

Last Thursday I cut the lawn, did the same process and put it back into the shed.
    Sat on the lawnmower last night, started no bother, went to reverse out and not a move.
    I had just before that moved the lawnmower back a few feet so that I could lift the hood to put in petrol. It moved no problem.

I had a look at the drive belts with the box off and the belts seem juddery, which is odd, but it doesn't engage the wheels.

I have noted that sometimes after I had washed it with the hose that it took maybe 10 seconds for the drive to engage, probably wet pulley/belt.

I am not sure where to start, I should be able to fix it myself but for the life of me I can't spot what could be the problem.

Thanks v much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Try the safety switch at the back for the grass collector, or the one underneath the seat. These used to give me problem on my Jonsered

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Try the safety switch at the back for the grass collector, or the one underneath the seat. These used to give me problem on my Jonsered

Ok, great idea I will try that indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Does it have a lever to disengage hydrostatic drive so you can push it manually? My Castelgarden has a horizontal lever behind the seat for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Those safety switches would prevent the engine starting up, but not the mover moving.

OP IM not familiar with this particular make of mower but something is preventing the belt taking up the drive or the power being transmitted through the gearbox.

Can you trace the drive belt through the body of the mower from the engine and see what happens as you let the "clutch" in and change gears? Is the drive going all the way to the gearbox?

Sounds like a belt is broken or slipped off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Avns1s wrote: »
    Those safety switches would prevent the engine starting up, but not the mover moving.

OP IM not familiar with this particular make of mower but something is preventing the belt taking up the drive or the power being transmitted through the gearbox.

Can you trace the drive belt through the body of the mower from the engine and see what happens as you let the "clutch" in and change gears? Is the drive going all the way to the gearbox?

Sounds like a belt is broken or slipped off.

Ya the belts on these jonesered seem to be a pain, brother in law has one also.
    I have traced the belt and it seems to be going around all the pullys fine.
    I was able to put the mower in gear and have the engine running and hop off to see what was happening.
    The belt was shuddering, more like jumping at a very very slow pace on the back pully which drives the axle in the back.

Question though, should I be able to pull the main drive belt easily when its out of gear, so that it just pulls around each pully?
    Can't see any broken belts.

• Advertisement

Have a look here - does this help you throw any light on the subject? Specifically page 9.

yop wrote: »

Question though, should I be able to pull the main drive belt easily when its out of gear, so that it just pulls around each pully?
    Can't see any broken belts.

When it's out of gear, it is possible to move the belts by hand with the engine off of course!!!

When it's out of gear, it is possible to move the belts by hand with the engine off of course!!!

In one or both directions? Nah, leave the engine on :D

Did you see a tensioner on the belt? Perhaps the spring has jumped off or failed.

Once the mower is in gear, the belts should be tight on the pulleys.

Have a look here - does this help you throw any light on the subject? Specifically page 9.

I had a look at that, have it downloaded here. The only thing which seems very loose is item 95, the control arm. So I am not sure if that is an issue. It shouldn't cut out the drive though.

• Advertisement

In one or both directions? Nah, leave the engine on :D

Probably both but you'll often find that it'll move in one direction easier than the other, purely because of the orientation of the belt.

Did you see a tensioner on the belt? Perhaps the spring has jumped off or failed.

Once the mower is in gear, the belts should be tight on the pulleys.

Ok, so with the engine off, if I put the mower into reverse, the belt should be pure tight?

The belt was shuddering, more like jumping at a very very slow pace on the back pully which drives the axle in the back.

Can you reach and twist that pulley by hand?

If you can and it gives movement in the wheels (albeit slow) it would rule out a gearbox problem.

Ok, so with the engine off, if I put the mower into reverse, the belt should be pure tight?

Yep! It should tighten on the pulleys and not slip!

If you think it through, if the belt is loose when you're trying to get power from the engine to the gearbox, it's going to slip!

The way the "Clutches" work on these types of mowers is simply to remove the tension from the belts so it slips, hence I use the "" as they aren't clutches in the conventional sense.

That makes a lot of sense. Time to get a right look at this.

I will need to jack it up to spin the wheel, I can get my arm into all the pulleys and see but in hindsight the tensioners I would think are my problem.

Thanks for all the details, I will let you know how it goes.

Turned out it was the front left hand side pulley and the belt had jumped out and into the other side!
    But it must need some tensioning I reckon, next to find out how to do that :D

Peed rain all evening so no lawn done tonight. Thanks for the help buck.

That diagram on Page 9 illustrated the route of the belt. If the tension is coming off the belt too soon, it could cause it to drop off a pulley perhaps, as there would be a lot of slack by the end of the stroke of the "clutch".

Anyway, glad you're sorted.

That diagram on Page 9 illustrated the route of the belt. If the tension is coming off the belt too soon, it could cause it to drop off a pulley perhaps, as there would be a lot of slack by the end of the stroke of the "clutch".

Anyway, glad you're sorted.

Ya, way too much slag when I clutch. Brother in law did his own belt there a week ago so he will come over and show me the tensioners.
    It was good to get into the bones of the machine though! :D

Advertisement