Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lupins not flowering??

• 03-06-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I bought lupin and foxglove plants in Lidl last Spring whilst the foxgloves are blooming the lupins aren't?? The plants have both grown well and high and no signs of slugs/snails but just leaves and no flowers. Anyone throw some light on this I thought I'd see blooms starting by now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Lupins are the bane of my life, i have never got them to successfully flower. even when i buy them just about the flower they curl up and die, its either my soil or a north facing front garden which kills them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Give them some tomato feed and more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Well they are still in the same soil I bought them in didnt take them out of the pots (they are plenty big for the plants), I water them and they have a south west facing garden might try the tomato feed thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Lupins are the bane of my life, i have never got them to successfully flower. even when i buy them just about the flower they curl up and die, its either my soil or a north facing front garden which kills them.

I'm the opposite, they bloom every year for me. Thought they were a reliable plant for everybody. I rarely feed mine

I vaguely rem Mam had lupins and they were out late Summer maybe? Well with todays weather they are getting enough sun and rain nothing eating them and have lots of space so guess it's a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Mine are just coming into full bloom now, no feed/special attention other than well drained soil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

miss choc wrote: »
    I bought lupin and foxglove plants in Lidl last Spring whilst the foxgloves are blooming the lupins aren't?? The plants have both grown well and high and no signs of slugs/snails but just leaves and no flowers. Anyone throw some light on this I thought I'd see blooms starting by now.

It might just be the plant. I have aquilegias that took 5 years to flower...they're damn lucky to still be there.
    Maybe try an application of potash? If there are no flower buds already, there will be no flower this year but maybe next year.

Yeah maybe that happened me with daffs once loads one Spring nothing the next year flowers eh can be temperamental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

miss choc wrote: »
    Well they are still in the same soil I bought them in didnt take them out of the pots (they are plenty big for the plants), I water them and they have a south west facing garden might try the tomato feed thanks.

If they are in the same compost as last year then they have probably used up all the goodness in the compost so you need to feed them then repot them with fresh compost later on.

Our lupins are pretty much in full flower now, looking the best they have for a long time.

Also I know you say no slug damage but on lupins slugs have a habit of just munching off the flower stem, so have a proper look inside and see if you can see any little stumps where flower stems might have been.

Ok thanks would it be ok if I repot now with some new compost or should I wait till flowering (non flowering for me) period is over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My Lupins are not flowering yet either but the Foxgloves are flying. Just a bit early yet for here, I expect the garden to explode with colour in the next few weeks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Lupins usually do crap the first you and fly the second. They never did well in pots for me though, but they like it in the ground and grow into monsters.
    They have long tap roots, they like it in the ground. Same with Foxgloves.

Advertisement