Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Essentials?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

VG31 wrote: »
    I would only use Tipp-Ex in exams like Business, if I make a mistake in the Budget for example and I have to change lots of figures. It looks very messy if you write in new figures above. I would never use Tipp-Ex in an English exam.
    Would I get marks taken away if I did business accounts in pencil?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fifii wrote: »

No, but make sure it is a pencil that does not smudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

No, it's just that pencil begins to fade overtime so answers mighn't be clear and for some reason, it irritates examiners.
    I blame poor eyesight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The problem with doing accounts in pencil is that the writing can fade after a while, so no I would not to the accounts in pencil. I don't think you would lose marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Liordi wrote: »
    No, it's just that pencil begins to fade overtime so answers mighn't be clear and for some reason, it irritates examiners.
    I blame poor eyesight. :D

Ah yes, the failing eyesight of aged correcters ...
    In all seriousness, it's the smudge risk that's the issue here. Just use a hard (h) pencil, not a soft (b) pencil and it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

I bought erasable pens for business and they may be used for other subjects too.

I bought some on eBay and my sister got some in Tesco if any of you were open to buying them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

* For the love of god don't bring any phones into the centre. You will be given the option to put them into a box outside, but if you don't and it goes off then it's goodbye exam.

* Bring your own watch, there will be plenty of clocks, but still have your own - and use it to watch your timing on each question.

* Exam numbers must be on everything being handed up.

* I think there is something like you can't leave after 20 minutes before the end of the exam. (not sure on the exact timing)

* It entirely depends on the centre, but some won't let you bring the back of your calculator in with you - on the other hand I've seen students being allowed to bring in their pencil cases.

There is probably lots of other things I can say, but I'll only be repeating others. Anyway, best of luck to ye all over the coming weeks, don't stress over it - remember the marks are there for the taking!

@Noccy,
    You can't leave in the first and last 30 minutes in most situations.

Is it OK to leave your phone powered off in your bag as that will most likely be outside the room anyway or do you have to put it in the box?
    @Noccy,
    You can't leave in the first and last 30 minutes in most situations.

Is that a universal time or can it vary by school?

Thanks in advance. :)

Is it OK to leave your phone powered off in your back as that will most likely be outside the room anyway or do you have to put it in the box?

I presume you mean bag.
    Um, yeah, I don't see why they would have a problem as long as your phone is outside the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

In my school we're '''not allowed''' phones, I'm bringing mine and was planning on leaving it in my locker but would feel better giving it in to the attendant
    My question is since I'm technically not allowed have it would I still be able to you know show it and give it in? Like do attendants care about school rules?
    I know this really is a matter I need to ask my school tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone has ever been in the situation before :)

@Liordi Yeah, I corrected that just before your reply. OK thanks.

Is it OK to leave your phone powered off in your bag as that will most likely be outside the room anyway or do you have to put it in the box?

Is that a universal time or can it vary by school?

Thanks in advance. :)

As long as it's not with you in the centre it's fine. Don't chance it in your pocket, they could easily turn on themselves.

Xgracie wrote: »
    In my school we're '''not allowed''' phones, I'm bringing mine and was planning on leaving it in my locker but would feel better giving it in to the attendant
    My question is since I'm technically not allowed have it would I still be able to you know show it and give it in? Like do attendants care about school rules?
    I know this really is a matter I need to ask my school tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone has ever been in the situation before :)

I presume it would be fine as long as it is outside the exam room. If you have it in your bag, it's not like they're going to search it. ;)

Most if not all schools have a no phone policy - but they won't mind you handing your phone in.

@VG
    I suppose it may vary by school.
    Anyone I know has always mentioned not being allowed to leave in the first and last 30 minutes.

@Gracie
    I guess you'd be allowed to leave your phone with the exam attendant since you'll presumably need it organising lifts and whatnot.
    If you don't need it; don't bring it just to be on the safe side.

Just to summarise everything that's been said so far:
    • Bring a ziplock for pencils/pens/ect.
    • Bring water.
    • Leave your phone at home/with the exam attendant.
    • Be in 30 minutes early (9:00) for the first exam.
    • Bring a watch to leave on your desk.
    • Only write in blue/black pen (lest it's a heading)
    • Do NOT use tippex, cross it out and put brackets around your error - if it's correct, you may get some marks.
    • Read the questions carefully (use a highlighter if necessary)
    • Bring tissues (just in case)
    • Don't write in the right hand margins (examiners use only)
    • Make sure you write your exam number on each paper.
    • Ensure you hand up all things you have written on.
    • Ask for as much paper as you need.

Let me know if I left anything out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Just a (stupid)q.on the margin thing.i.presume its ok to write like 1(a) there.isnt.it.cos otherwise how would the correcter know whats what?

Eims14 wrote: »
    Just a (stupid)q.on the margin thing.i.presume its ok to write like 1(a) there.isnt.it.cos otherwise how would the correcter know whats what?

The right hand margin is what you can't write in.
    The left is where you put question numbers. :)

Eims14 wrote: »

Don't write anything in the right hand margin (the one on the right side of the page)
    Write your headings/question numbers clearly in the left hand margin as you would in a normal copybook
    And there are no stupid questions - better to ask now than to stress over things tomorrow and after :)

• Advertisement

Just to summarise everything that's been said so far:
    • Bring a ziplock for pencils/pens/ect.
    • Bring water.
    • Leave your phone at home/with the exam attendant.
    • Be in 30 minutes early (9:00) for the first exam.
    • Bring a watch to leave on your desk.
    • Only write in blue/black pen (lest it's a heading)
    • Do NOT use tippex, cross it out and put brackets around your error - if it's correct, you may get some marks.
    • Read the questions carefully (use a highlighter if necessary)
    • Bring tissues (just in case)
    • Don't write in the right hand margins (examiners use only)
    • Make sure you write your exam number on each paper.
    • Ensure you hand up all things you have written on.
    • Ask for as much paper as you need.

Let me know if I left anything out. :P

Good stuff, great to have a list of guidelines.
    Just to clarify though, don't use a red or green pen at all, even for headings. Write the main body in blue and the headings/question markers etc in black, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

The right hand margin is what you can't write in.
    The left is where you put question numbers. :)

Ohhh thanks.I spent like 10 minutes trying to.work.out if that was left facing you or left.if.youre standing behind.it. :rolleyes:.Ill just blame.it on a day of cramming

Thanks guys! Also stupid question what about numbering the questions in pink pen? (I have a thing about writing them in pink pen lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Thanks guys! Also stupid question what about numbering the questions in pink pen? (I have a thing about writing them in pink pen lol)

Do not write in pink pen - it SINCERELY angers examiners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

pretty sure they'd have to be scrooge or something to deduct marks for writing the question number in pink

but some examiners are like that so try to stick to black or blue ink.

pizzamad wrote: »
    Do not write in pink pen - it SINCERELY angers examiners :)

Aw no :(

thetalker wrote: »
    pretty sure they'd have to be scrooge or something to deduct marks for writing the question number in pink

but some examiners are like that so try to stick to black or blue ink.

Yeah I think I'll play it safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Are you allowed to write quotes in red/green?

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to write quotes in red/green?

Don't use red or green. At all. Just black and/or blue. You want the person correcting your exam to have as easy a time as possible, in order to pick up as many marks as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Daisykarmass

I'm most worried about English.. Any one have any predictions on what may come up??

Advertisement