Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation by Apple

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Will be interesting to see how this is handled by developers,hopefully its a success.

Apple products are designed to break when you try to service them and engineered to have the most likely failure in the most inaccessible place; ie. i-phone batteries. Apple themselves don't sell parts just repairs. I refuse to give them any money with an attitude like that.

Apple products are designed to break when you try to service them and engineered to have the most likely failure in the most inaccessible place; ie. i-phone batteries. Apple themselves don't sell parts just repairs. I refuse to give them any money with an attitude like that.

Purely annecdotal but my iphone 3gs is still going strong and onto its 4th owner now.Never misses a beat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Be this as it may I predict the following:

1) This will be a big seller.
    2) This home automation system will be controlled by a very slick easy to use app.
    3) Compeditors will rapidly produce their own systems. Within a few years every new build will have some sort if home automation, by Apple or by others. Either way I think it will represent a watershed.

There are many out there that refuse to buy IPhones but all other smart phones only are where they are because of the original iPhone. This may be a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What examples of home automation can a home owner except to have?

• Advertisement

At a guess,home alarm(check your fone when out to see if ur alarm has gone off or been reset)
    lights(philips hue has already done this)
    Sockets and switches(turning all your lights on off,to a certain brightness)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How long is a piece of string? :D
    To give you a few examples Home Automation systems can provide:

1) Centralized control of lighting
    2) HVAC control
    3) Control of Appliances
    4) Security locks of gates and doors and other systems
    5) Control of intruder alarms
    6) General systems to provide improved convenience, comfort, and energy efficiency
    7) It can also provide interfaces to fire detection systems, CO2 detection.

I expect that Apple will provide a platform for control of multiple devices though its mobile devices. This is likley to be in the form of some sort of App that will proivde control as well as feedback. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Hardware and smart homes

Apple’s new rumoured hardware lineup for this edition of WWDC could also include non-Apple devices as well as the company is said to be preparing to show off its home automation system, which will be enabled through third-party devices built for that purpose and controlled using an iPhone.

A Financial Times report says that Apple is preparing to launch a software platform geared towards home automation, with iPhones and iPads being used to control lights, security systems, cooling and heating, and other appliances.

See link:
    http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/apples-wwdc-2014-keynote-live-major-changes-in-ios-8-os-x-10-10-and-more-224913.html

zega wrote: »
    Purely annecdotal but my iphone 3gs is still going strong and onto its 4th owner now.Never misses a beat.

My Sony Ericsson Xperia is also still going strong after 3 years and the battery still lasts 3 - 12 days. After I threw the stock one into storage and upped the capacity by 1Ah, good luck trying that chestnut on an I-dofer.

My Sony Ericsson Xperia is also still going strong after 3 years and the battery still lasts 3 - 12 days. After I threw the stock one into storage and upped the capacity by 1Ah, good luck trying that chestnut on an I-dofer.

I think that you are missing the point.
    I am not trying to convince anyone that Mac is better than Windows or who makes the best smart phone.

This is about a new type of home automation that may revolutionise and invigorate ever increasing the Home Automation market.
    Perhaps Apple will end up owning the primary Home Automation operating system, perhaps not.

My guess is that unlike traditional Home Automation systems this will be very affordable, more user firendly and eaasier to programme.

The design, looks and user interface of all smart phones is based on the original iPhone.
    Many would argue that HTC, Samsung, Windows, and various other Android devices are superior smart phones.
    This may well be the case, but they only exist in their current from because of the original iPhone.
    A similar argument can be made for MP3 players and tablets in respect of iPods and iPads.

I think that the same may happen with Home Automation.
    Apple’s new offering may spark off a few creative minds in rival companies such as Microsoft, Sony etc…

Either way it should be interesting.

Fair enough, apologies for off topic...I'll go grind my axe elsewhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would never wire my house to anything Apple based.

As good as their gadgets look, their software takes over everything, and they are very restrictive when it comes to letting any other manufacturers gear connect to theirs. iTunes ruined my laptop.

NIMAN wrote: »
    As good as their gadgets look, their software takes over everything, and they are very restrictive when it comes to letting any other manufacturers gear connect to theirs.

Not in this case if current rumours are proved to be correct.

If you read this link:
    http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...re-224913.html

You will see that the indications are that "Apple’s new rumoured hardware lineup for this edition of WWDC could also include non-Apple devices as well as the company is said to be preparing to show off its home automation system, which will be enabled through third-party devices built for that purpose and controlled using an iPhone."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair enough, but will never own an iPhone so again, I'm out.

Fair enough, but will never own an iPhone so again, I'm out.

See post #10 above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

, and they are very restrictive when it comes to letting any other manufacturers gear connect to theirs. iTunes ruined my laptop.

Probably need to be an apple approved REC to install an automated light switch next :pac:

2011 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? :D
    To give you a few examples Home Automation systems can provide:

1) Centralized control of lighting
    2) HVAC control
    3) Control of Appliances
    4) Security locks of gates and doors and other systems
    5) Control of intruder alarms
    6) General systems to provide improved convenience, comfort, and energy efficiency
    7) It can also provide interfaces to fire detection systems, CO2 detection.

For a new installation it would be easy design and install installation to suit this new home automation. I can see big euro signs though to wire a house to suit this system and bigger to do retro work.
    I like alot of the features you mentioned there especially 5 and 7. Maybe its because I am from the country I like to come home and manually light the soild fuel cooker rather that having an app to switch on the oil. It may sound like misery to do that but i like that misery.
    I feel too much automation with technology is only turning us into robots, im not knocking this just not to carry it too far.

For a new installation it would be easy design and install installation to suit this new home automation. I can see big euro signs though to wire a house to suit this system and bigger to do retro work.
    I like alot of the features you mentioned there especially 5 and 7. Maybe its because I am from the country I like to come home and manually light the soild fuel cooker rather that having an app to switch on the oil. It may sound like misery to do that but i like that misery.
    I feel too much automation with technology is only turning us into robots, im not knocking this just not to carry it too far.
    I like lighting the stove myself. But also have gas heating, and find it very useful to be able to put it on while on way home, or set up a daily timer in a few seconds etc. A couple of rooms have their Lights on dimmers as well. Again handy to switch on from anywhere or setup timers and brightness settings.

I can see big euro signs though to wire a house to suit this system and bigger to do retro work.

I am sure that many of the devices will use wireless technology to simplify setup and cut down on installation costs.

I think that remark is a few years too late.
    When Bruthal and I look around the place that we work I think that he will agree that we see many people that have already turned into robots.

When Bruthal and I look around the place that we work I think that he will agree that we see many people that have already turned into robots.

Affirmative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

that's nonsense. the phones are actually very serviceable. plenty of videos on youtube.

Apple also replace phones if anything goes wrong within the first year or two.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    that's nonsense. the phones are actually very serviceable. plenty of videos on youtube.

There are plenty of videos on youtube to alot of things, just because a video is there does not make a task simple.

There are plenty of videos on youtube to alot of things, just because a video is there does not make a task simple.
    whats not simple about this?

Yes that is quiet simple, interesting you picked that model, say for example the 3g or 3gs you need to physically take it apart and take out the motherboard to gain access to the battery. I think that is what model Sir Liamalot was referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuaHt_jRSo8

it's not hard, also remember your not working with a desktop you are working on complex device that is has a lot to fit in to a small housing.

I think Sir Liamalot is used to worker on older chunker devices.

ted1 wrote: »

it's not hard, also remember your not working with a desktop you are working on complex device that is has a lot to fit in to a small housing.

It may not be hard for you or me but to others they would look at that video and say no way or try it and end up damaging some part of it.

Seeing as we're all off topic here; I was talking about a MacBook actually particularly swapping the LCD that's behind 1.5mm glass sheeting that needs heating and suction to remove unless you buy the more expensive anti-glare which costs extra to not have it.
    The laptops also have buried batteries, as far as I'm concerned particularly in a laptop, the battery is a serviceable item and should just pop out the back because it's required to be removed for maintenance and longevity even though most don't. I'm well capable of getting them out but that's not the point.

[Edit]: Also putting it under the motherboard makes it significantly more difficult to shoehorn a larger more practical battery in there or have two batteries and swap as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

** Sigh **

Seeing as we're all off topic here; I was talking about a MacBook actually particularly swapping the LCD that's behind 1.5mm glass sheeting that needs heating and suction to remove unless you buy the more expensive anti-glare which costs extra to not have it.
    The laptops also have buried batteries, as far as I'm concerned particularly in a laptop, the battery is a serviceable item and should just pop out the back because it's required to be removed for maintenance and longevity even though most don't. I'm well capable of getting them out but that's not the point.

[Edit]: Also putting it under the motherboard makes it significantly more difficult to shoehorn a larger more practical battery in there or have two batteries and swap as needed.

You don't like Apple products, I get it :)

This thread is not about trying to convince you to buy any Apple products.
    The fact that it is Apple that has produced "HomeKit" is irrelevant.
    Why? Because if this takes off as predicted all of Apple's competitors will copy the idea and try to improve on it.

Obviously the iPad inspired the Surface, most MP3 players were inspired by the iPod and there is a reason that every smartphone on the market looks almost identical to the original iPhone. So even if you are never going to buy anything Apple it is very likely that Apple will still influence many of the electronic devices that you enjoy and use the most.

In my opinion Apple's patented HomeKit is going to another example of Apple leading the way with innovation; even if the competition produces a superior product in the long term (as many would argue has been the case in the past).

Anyway, back on topic:
    I found a very interesting article here:

"During a HomeKit introduction session at Apple’s World Wide Developer’s Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco on Tuesday, an Apple engineer described how virtually every home, room, device, function and setting would have a name in the HomeKit system and how Siri, Apple’s intelligent voice assistant, could recognize and let you control it all thanks to a common database.

Apple’s overarching goal is to bring “some rationality to home automation,” Apple’s overarching goal is to bring “some rationality to home automation,” said the Apple engineer. To do so, the HomeKit iOS 8 app and API both guide the user through the distinct naming of every room and device, but can also, if the accessories support Apple's Home Automation Protocol and iOS devices, intuit home automation device capabilities.

According to Apple, the company put a lot of effort into defining a common home automation language, but is well aware that not all devices will speak it. In that case, it’ll be up to the manufacturer to make their smart home products work with the HomeKit Platform.

To work with HomeKit, a user might start by defining her home. If she has multiple homes, each will need its own name. The rooms in each house will have names, as well. You can name “Living Room” in both your house and summer cottage, but cannot have two “Living Rooms” in one of those houses.

Inside the house and each room, there could be a variety of HomeKit-controllable devices, which could be discovered and configured through an accessory browser on the iPhone. They, too, get their own names and, just like the house names, those names are recognized by Siri. The same is true of the services provided by each accessory. In the case of a smart light, “Dim” might be a named service. Characteristics are in the HomeKit framework, as well, though, since they’re really information about the state of the device (is it on or off, running at high or low), they’re seen but not controlled by the end user.

With so many named rooms, objects, services and characteristics inside the home, it might get a little overwhelming. However, HomeKit will also let the user group services. If, for example, all of the lights in your home have a Dim function, you could dim them all at once with a named command (spoken through Siri). The grouping paradigm also extends out into what Apple is calling Action Sets or Scenes. Say “goodnight” to HomeKit and , if that’s the name you’ve given your “I’m going to bed” scene, all the actions connected to it — locking the doors, turning off lights, locking the garage door and turning down the heat — will all be executed at once. There is no defined order here.
    "

An interesting little video on it too:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think that you are missing the point.
    I am not trying to convince anyone that Mac is better than Windows or who makes the best smart phone.

Apart from me that is. :)

On that newish Siemens alarm App I can turn on and off my alarm, heating, some sockets, never got the gate working, hall light, the gizmos for switching will be expensive (are expensive). We had Google buying up a few home automation companies over the past two years. At least when these two giants get moving that cost of switching devices will come down. Can't see Sony making anything that is not locked down. The X10 stuff is a bit bulky but very handy. Tried out that X10 light switch that does not need a neutral and it worked, it just looked terrible (big)

The heating switch is the best automation device I have, I switch it by either using the alarm panel in the house, a heating calendar set up on the alarm interface, logging into the Siemens panel remotely (pain in the BS) or by texting, this was very handy, but the new app on Apple and Play Store does it all on the app (have to map the X10s as outputs).

Also simple things like turning off the heating when the alarm is at full set is a handy

Good news alright looking forward to developments, all wireless too i guess unlike the X10 stuff (FM aside)

Advertisement