Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest box advice

• 03-06-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭

Well, our blue tits finally fledged today which is good news, they're still hopping around the garden and mum is feeding them now and then.

However, now that the nest is empty I can see that, as I suspected, at least one of them didn't make it, and the dead body (or bodies) is still in the nest. On the webcam, I can see a big bluebottle taking an interest in it, and I wonder what might be the best thing to do now.

Will the birds return there for a day or two after fledging? If so, what can I safely do to ensure it doesn't become maggot infested? Could I get in there and try to remove the body, or just leave it alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They will return to the box from time to time for a few days. The recommendations are to empty boxes in September but, being realistic, give it 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's great, thanks. I can set up my webcam to detect motion in the nest, and can monitor when they stop returning to it.

Should I just remove the dead body and leave the nest material in there, or clean it out completely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you can, just remove the dead chick and then take the old nest out in September but if its akward just take all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, thanks.

Advertisement