Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onomatopoeia

Options
  • 03-06-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

is there Onomatopoeia is mid term break by seamus Heaney? If so, where? And is there enough to use it as a poem if sound effects came up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Not really, something onomatopoeia-like in the second line (knelling classes to a close) but other than that I wouldn't say so

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peterod1998

The baby "cooed"
    And candles "soothed"

That's all I can see but I didn't study that poem so there may be more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Knelling is a verb for a bell ringing. It doesn't describe the sound of the bell. I wouldn't think it would be onomatopoeic.

Cooed would be.

Soothed wouldn't. Again wouldn't describe the sound of a candle.

'Whispered' might be as it describes the sound of people talking quietly in the background.

The poem is not a great example of the use of onompatopeia.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

joeguevara wrote: »
    'Whispered' might be as it describes the sound of people talking quietly in the background.

I thought whispered was part of a longer chunk which uses sibilance.to create a whisper sound?Does that make sense.or...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 peterod1998

Eims14 wrote: »
    I thought whispered was part of a longer chunk which uses sibilance.to create a whisper sound?Does that make sense.or...

That does make sense but it can be onomatopoeia as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other

• Advertisement
Advertisement