Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPhone 4 eating up the battery

• 03-06-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi. My iPhone 4 got pulled out of a computer in the middle of viewing photos. Since then it appears to be running something in the background and it drains my battery from 100% to zero in four hours. Last Friday, I replaced the battery for €45 for a battery with twice the power of the original and stopped all apps running in the background and reinstalled my software but the new battery is still draining. Help¡ Anybody with any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carol ireland

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech.

I do not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I do not understand?

The Moderator has moved your post to a more suitable forum. Better chance of getting an answer here.

Have you disabled Wifi, Bluetooth and Mobile Data to see if any of that helps ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Have you tried resetting the phone?

Hold the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the Home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.
    Hold them both until you see the screen go black. In some cases, you may need to keep holding them even after the red power-off slider appears. If it appears, just keep holding it.
    Wait until the silver Apple logo appears.
    When this happens, you can let go - the iPhone is rebooting.

Edit: I missed that you reinstalled everything so the above is unlikely to work.

ZENER wrote: »
    The Moderator has moved your post to a more suitable forum. Better chance of getting an answer here.

Ken
    Hi ken
    Thank you for your reply. Yes unfortunatenly I tried all of the above but no joy
    All the best
    C

• Advertisement

Ken
    Hi ken
    Thank you for your reply. Yes unfortunatenly I tried all of the above but no joy
    All the best
    C

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did you restore as a new phone, or from a previous back up? Restoring as a new phone should leave any software problems behind,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ken

Not being smart, but I don't see how this answer resolves the problem.

Switching off functions may help preserve some battery life but will not resolve a problem battery and renders the point of having a smartphone pointless in my opinion.

OP: as advised you should do a hard reset and if that does not work then I would suggest getting the battery replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

From experience drainage occurs by two sources for me. Either an app i recently downloaded is draining the power and the fix is to uninstall it or the mail account is constantly in 'pull' mode.

Remove and re-add the mail account and see does make a difference.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not being smart, but I don't see how this answer resolves the problem.

The suggestion was more an attempt to to isolate the problem. A process of elimination. Basic fault finding 101.
    Switching off functions may help preserve some battery life but will not resolve a problem battery and renders the point of having a smartphone pointless in my opinion.

Aside from the CPU the biggest drains on battery are screen, wifi, and all radios. A lot of data being transferred over 3G data or wireless would drain the battery more quickly hence switching them off might give some clue as to what is going on.
    OP: as advised you should do a hard reset and if that does not work then I would suggest getting the battery replaced.

There was nothing wrong with the battery prior to this incident. If the battery had been fading over the past few weeks then I'd agree, before replacing the battery though, I'd try calibrating it. Procedure here.

Ken

• Advertisement

Hi. Thank you for all your feedback, it is appreciated. But I have tried all the above and on Friday I replaced the battery but no joy C

Did you try the calibrate battery procedure I linked to ? When you restored the phone did you restore your backup aswell ?

Maybe try a factory restore but without restoring your apps and files. Let the phone be vanilla for a day or so to see if the battery issue is gone. If it behaves normally then gradually introduce your apps and finally files - photos etc.

If the battery has been replaced with a known new approved unit and the OS is factory then hard to see what else could cause this issue unless

"got pulled out of a computer in the middle of viewing photos"

means someone tripped over the cable causing the phone to fall or the connector to get damaged in some way ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Have you installed 'Battery Doctor' App to see what is draining your Battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

How much battery time are you currently getting?

Are you running the latest iOS?
    Is the phone jailbroken?

Advertisement